INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What's your favourite Filter Combo (MPEG)?  (Read 1194 times)

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
What's your favourite Filter Combo (MPEG)?
« on: July 24, 2008, 05:04:25 pm »

It seems the search for the "best" filter combo never ends so I'm interested in what you find works well! 

I'm on Vista 32Bit using EVR and find the following:
1) MS Video & Audio:  Looks good but on some older 4:3 interlaced material I see both frames and it becomes jerky.  I'm not sure that they are all that stable either as you get some weird results if you change aspect ratio's back and forth needing you to stop / start playback to get it to reset.
2) nVidia Video & Audio:  Looks a bit soft / blurry some of the time but appart from that a nice stable codec

So what do you use and why?  A bit of a shoot out?
JRiver CEO Elect

skeeterfood

• We're all just food for the skeeters.
Re: What's your favourite Filter Combo (MPEG)?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 05:27:57 pm »

I'm on XP and use nVidia Video and Audio, but with VMR9, since nVidia with EVR or Haali lock up MC if you seek "too much".

-John

zirum

• Galactic Citizen
  • still learning.
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 02:53:11 am »

If you'd get Mastiff to comment here, you would be in for a treat. He knows to manage around filters pretty well...  ;)
Note to myself: Read, think, write - Read, think, write - think, read, write - think, write, read - think, write, read... Aahhw, i always mess that up...

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 08:39:42 am »

I've been using the Nvidia ones on XP for a long time, always seemed to give the best picture and the smoothest scrolling of the ticker news headline things ....

BUT recently I've been getting MC crashing when switching from dvr-ms to DVD playback or visa-versa, so am now trying the Cyberlink ones.... with mixed results thus far... the "CyberLink Video/SP Decoder (PDVD8)"  ones give sound but just a  grey box for video which I haven't resolved yet, while the  "CyberLink Video/SP Decoder (Homenetwork)" decoder does the same unless I turn OFF the Hardware acceleration option....

I seem to be getting less MC crashes with the Cyberlink decoders, so will continue to try to get them working correctly.

So as usual the video codecs are a work in progress here :) 

Richard
Pages: [1]   Go Up