INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon Powershot S5 IS  (Read 2437 times)

Mr ChriZ

• Citizen of the Universe
  • :-D
Canon Powershot S5 IS
« on: July 29, 2008, 02:07:34 pm »

Having lost my Canon A620 at Glastonbury Festival I'm looking to replace it with something.
I've been looking at the S5 IS.  It's a wee bit bigger than the 620, but then the 620 wasn't exactly a pocket camera.
Saying this I don't want to be carry a huge lump around for the sort of things I'm doing with it.
Sooner or later (Probably much later) I'm going to buy a seriously decent SLR for the real good photo finding sessions.

Just wondering if anyone here has got one?
If so how do you get on with it?
Also Have you found a neat carry case for it? Most the ones I've seen could fit a 5D in it, which kind of defy the point of having a small camera!

dcwebman

Re: Canon Powershot S5 IS
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 07:24:59 am »

I have the earlier version S2 IS and it's a great camera so the S5 IS can only be better. I also stayed in the Canon family for compatibility of menus with an SD700 IS which actually gets more use because it's pocket-sized. But for those times when I need the big zoom, the S2 IS comes out. I found a nice case at Walmart that isn't too big but fits both cameras. When I get to the shooting location though, the small one comes out for my pocket.
Jeff

Mr ChriZ

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 01:19:50 pm »

I've had a lot of canons too, and am much more familiar with them.
Interestingly the SD700 is called an IXUS over here from what I can gather,
I'd like to get something like that too at somepoint, maybe christmas ;-)

Cheers for the info!  :)

DarkPenguin

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 05:24:38 pm »

Having lost my Canon A620 at Glastonbury Festival I'm looking to replace it with something.
I've been looking at the S5 IS.  It's a wee bit bigger than the 620, but then the 620 wasn't exactly a pocket camera.
Saying this I don't want to be carry a huge lump around for the sort of things I'm doing with it.
Sooner or later (Probably much later) I'm going to buy a seriously decent SLR for the real good photo finding sessions.

A couple of things on this.

Any current DSLR fits the "seriously decent" description.  These cameras are extremely good these days.  If you find one cheap, buy it.

Also, have you considered the fujifilm F100fd?

Mr ChriZ

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 04:13:42 am »

I know all the DSLR's are amazing, but have still seen the difference between even mid and top of the range kit and am swayed towards the top end, however saying that, Todays top end will be tomorrows mid-range hence why in some ways I'm continuing to wait for the price to drop.  Especially as I'm not out and about much at the moment with Camera anyhow.

The F100 looks interesting.  I ended up ordering the S5 last week, but as stated will be in the market sometime soon for something smaller as well.

What's really intriguing is Computer Shopper magazine has managed to review this camera in the future
http://www.fujifilm.co.uk/consumer/digital/digital-cameras/advanced-compact/finepix-f100fd-119591

Mr ChriZ

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 05:03:52 pm »

http://www.pix01.com/gallery/54D3DA93-6788-4510-BC5C-C2AE5992EC3A/Cat/bigpage.html?image=503942659_orig0.jpg

Meow.
I'm in progress of performing a Catnapping.
She's called Phillipa.  At least that's what we call her.

dcwebman

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2008, 07:44:42 am »

Nice. Is that from the S5?
Jeff
Pages: [1]   Go Up