INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Setting gap for CD playback  (Read 5650 times)

daddio307

Setting gap for CD playback
« on: August 14, 2008, 11:56:27 am »

It seems the default is to play CD tracks with absolutely no gap between. How do I change the settings (I looked) so I can get a 2 second gap in the playback? Thanks.

daddio307

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Setting gap for CD playback
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 12:01:19 pm »

It's in the playback options.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 12:24:53 pm »

The default playback settings use cross-fading and remove any silence on the track boundaries.

You can disable the "Do not play silence (leading and trailing)" option and set the playback mode to "Gapless" for playing the tracks exactly as they are on the CDs. They will play like they would play on a standard stand-alone CD player. All existing silence will be preserved and nothing will be added. Also, if the tracks have seamless boundaries that will not be changed anyhow.

You can add additional silence on the track boundaries by selecting one of the "Standard (gapped)" options.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

daddio307

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 01:20:08 pm »

Thank you Alex. I knew the answer was in the Playback Options, but I just didn't know exactly how they were handled in this program. You helped me with your more explicit answer.

daddio307

Toast11

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 11:03:13 am »

yes, MC11 ships with a rather peculiar default setting for audio CD playback.  initially i found it very odd and somewhat disconcerting that they chose to ship their software with this "feature" enabled that caused it to play your typical music CD in a way that varies from the behavior of almost every CD player and CD drive in existence.

when i expressed this surprise in these forums, at a time when MC11 was the "IT" of JRiver, some of the regulars to these boards jumped all over me as if i had insulted a member of their family, including a member of JRiver staff.  "there was no standard way to play back an audio CD" they exclaimed, holding their shields high and waving their spears.

of course not.  thats why every piece of consumer audio equipment does it exactly the same way .... except if you are running MC11 on default playback settings.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 12:25:51 pm »

Actually MC does not ship with a specific audio CD playback setting. The playback options are the same for all sources. Obviously the most common source is files on a hard drive. Usually a standard audio CD is used only as a delivery media and only the ripped files are played.

Seeing how a PC player can smoothly cross-fade tracks in easily created mixed playlists was an eureka moment for many audio CD users when PC playback was a new thing. I guess that is why "cross-fade" has been the default playback mode for years.

Personally I use mostly the gapless mode, but I have set my alternative playback mode to use cross-fading so I can quickly change the mode when needed.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up