INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Remote Questions: Stopping MCE remote from launching Windows MC // MCE or IRMAN?  (Read 16254 times)

trentino

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile

Hello,

I have a new HP desktop that comes with an MCE remote.  I have it working with J River Media Center but some buttons keep launching Windows Media center.  How can I fix this so that it only controls J River Media Center?

Thanks,
Trent

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
Re: How to stop MCE Remote from launching Windows Media Center?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 02:08:46 am »

I'm a MCE user and occasionally I also get WinMC running itself but I'm not sure why.  The MCE remote commands should present to the app that has focus so if MC is selected you should be OK with the exception of the WinMC "Start" button that I don't think any other app can use (but stand to be corrected).
Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

trentino

• Recent member
Re: How to stop MCE Remote from launching Windows Media Center?
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 02:08:34 pm »

Windows Media Center will launch if I press a button like "My Video" or "My Photos".  Even if I don't have Windows Media Center opened as a program, pressing one of these buttons launches the program.  Of course, it also ends up going to the Video or Photos section of J River Media Center too.  So I just want to figure out how to stop it from launching Windows Media Center.  Then it will be all good.  Is the only way to uninstall Windows Media Center?

On another note...
I previously used IRMAN for remote purposes.  But now that my computer has a built in remote in sensor I've been trying the MCE remote.  My question is...  Is IRMAN "better" than MCE?  It seems easier / more flexible to customize my harmony remote to work with IRMAN than the MCE remote.  So what do you all think?  Should I go back to IRMAN or keep working to get MCE going the way that I want since it's "built in"?

trentino

• Recent member

I found the answer to my own question.  The information is contained in the documentation for a product called Intelliremote (http://melloware.com/products/intelliremote/) which I discovered referenced in another thread on this board.  I had googled for a long time and didn't find this info anywhere other than in this documentation so I've retyped it here (the pdf manual doesn't allow for copying) in case it helps someone in the future.

By default when you press the Green Button on your MCE Remote or the Pictures button and a few more buttons on your remote it starts up Windows Media Center application.  If you would prefer that nothing is started and that you let Intelliremote completely control those buttons then you need to disable the ehtray.exe application.  The application is the one that is listening for the remote buttons to start the ehshell.exe application which is Windows Media Center.

Vista Media Center Edition ehtray.exe instructions
-------------------------------------------------------

Even if you disable the task and delete the registry entry, Vista will start it again the next time you start Windows Media Center.  To disable this from happening you need to perform the following steps:

1)  Delete the Registry entry
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\ehTray.exe

2)  Type cmd into windows search and right click cmd (at top) and click Run as administrator.

3)  In command prompt, type takeown /f C:\Windows\ehome\ehtray.exe

4)  A message will be displayed that this completed successfully. This will give you ownership of the file.

5)  In same command prompt, type icalcs C:\Windows\ehome\ehtray.exe /grant (your username):F  ===  Note: Substitute (your username) with your current username.

6)  A message will be displayed that this completed successfully.

7)  In the same command prompt, type cd C:\Windows\ehome to change to the ehome directory.

8 )  In the same command prompt, type rename ehtray.exe ehtray.old

9)  Now reboot and ehtray.exe will no longer start when you start Windows or when you start Windows Media Center.

NOTE: You will need to reboot for this setting to take effect.

MCE 2005 ehtray.exe instructions
-------------------------------------------------------

If you are using MCE 2005 then disabling ehtray.exe is slightly different than Vista.  You need to rename ehtray.exe in the Windows/system32/dllcache folder as well as in the eHome folder AFTER killing the ehTray process and removing the registry run entry.
Pages: [1]   Go Up