INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows 2000 or Windows XP. Which?  (Read 1430 times)

BigMike

Windows 2000 or Windows XP. Which?
« on: July 28, 2002, 08:14:02 am »

I am thinking about moving up from Windows 98 to either 2000 or XP. I am happy with win98, but everybody keeps telling me I am missing out. Missing out on what? Some say 2000 is better, and others say XP is better. What's the real story?

By the way, I am an avid gamer, so please keep that in mind when suggesting which system you feel is best.

TURBO

RE:Windows 2000 or Windows XP. Which?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2002, 08:20:40 am »

All depends. If you have a very powerfull pc, from 1,000 mhz to up then you are welcome. If not dont even bother (Get slower). XP and 2000 are hudge operative systems, so they require a lot of power. The fastest and smallest is windows 95.

PhatPhreddy

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Cosmic Comic
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2002, 08:20:42 am »

Why not dual boot and see what you like....

Personally XP is far more stable and solid for me and its easier to network / bridge connections etc than previous windows OS's...

I do hear that some gamers find a performance hit with XP so YMMV... Dual boot gives you the best of all... Choice.
Phreddy@PhatPhreddy.net ICQ# 168975535
HTPC Front ends  

ChicoSelfs

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2002, 08:29:55 am »

Both Win XP and 2000 are based on NT they have many things in common, Win XP is a Win 2000 More nice and friendly, both have NTFS option and a special "emulator" to run programs that only run in Win 95/98, But Win 2000 with Service Pack 2 is more stable than Win XP  Win XP is better to Networking bucause of the simple wizards. Win XP also Brings Windows Movie Maker 1.1. I tried to Run Soldier of fortune 2 on a win 2000 and on a win XP, in the win XP run's well but in the win 2000 the time of loading maps is shorter. Advice make dual boot with Win 2000 and Win XP and experiment both OS with the same programs and games and choose the best for you
Made in Portugal

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2002, 08:36:35 am »

ChicoSelfs

Try Medal Of Honor - Allied Assault - E3 Game Of The Year - Nice.

Well Worth The $49.95

Min 700Mhz
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

ChicoSelfs

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2002, 08:49:35 am »

Humm yes i want to buy that game, i heard that game is a must
Made in Portugal

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2002, 09:04:17 am »

>> i heard that game is a must
Yes It Is.

With A High End Graphics Card, And Fast Computer The Graphics Are Just So Cool. With A Large Monitor You Can Put Your Self In The Game.

It Does Have A Multi Player Game (For Internet) I Have Not Tried It Yet. I Am Sure I Would Die Too Soon Do To My Player Level.

Listening to: 'A Love Bizarre' from 'In Romance 1600' by 'Sheila E.' on Media Jukebox

KingSparta's Media Server 24.88.229.242:8
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

BigMike

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2002, 09:37:21 am »

I have been playing Metal of Honor AA, since it was released. One of the best games ever made in my opinion. It was produced by Steven Spielberg, for those that don't know. The multiplayer mode is just too much fun, and is terribly habit forming. But the single player mode is just outstanding. The storys are real, the graphics are superb, and the fun never ends. Highly recommended for everybody who enjoys games!

C.A.T.

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2002, 11:50:34 pm »

I have run with 2000 and XP, testing each to the limits:

Go with XP (Pro, if your system can handle it-- it is far more stable for all aplications and allows for more customizing with integrity.

C.A.T.

scodan

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2002, 08:46:37 am »

I dual boot WinXP and Win2K.  I totally disagree that XP is necessarily more stable than 2000--it depends what hardware and software you use.  I can tell you unequivically that Microsoft made changes to I/O and the file system, which of course is undocumented.  Depending on what software you use (particularly software that interacts at a low level with the file system), this can spell big headaches (for example, I use SafeHouse, which is real-time encryption software, and it has some issues with WinXP's disk caching behavior.  I have also worked with imaging software vendors on other WinXP-specific compatibility issues.)

In general, though, I would recommend WinXP.  WinXP will very likely work better with your games (not to mention hardware) than will Win2K.  Getting on the WinXP wagon train now puts you in a better spot than early adopters (like... uh...  ME) were in.  Seriously consider WinXP Pro (over WinXP Home) if you can afford the difference in price.

dragyn

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2002, 01:52:53 pm »

If I remember right, SP3 is out for win2k so that should make 2k solid as a rock. SP1 is coming out for XP soon (runs very well). I also read that MS is dropping support for W98 so now would be a good time to upgrade.
Pages: [1]   Go Up