INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Favorites in navigation menu keep disappearing  (Read 1960 times)

mesue

• Galactic Citizen
Favorites in navigation menu keep disappearing
« on: September 11, 2008, 10:53:58 am »

I have had to reset my favorites 3 times in the past week and now they are blank again. It seems like they get wiped out either when I restart MC or when my computer restarts. What do I need to do to make sure my favorites are saved between sessions?
Sue

mesue

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Favorites in navigation menu keep disappearing
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 01:32:16 pm »

bump

I'm talking about favorites under the MC: View > Navigation menu in case it was unclear.
Sue

nexos

• Recent member
Happens to me too
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008, 08:04:19 am »

this is really frustrating, it seems to disappear every time I restart the computer.

It's a shame because it's a real useful feature which I only recently discovered since it's hidden there pretty well...

Anyone working on fixing this bug?

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2008, 09:29:28 am »

The favourites list is saved in the registry. Any changes made during an MC session are saved when MC is shut down.

The only time I've ever lost changes to the favourites list is if MC has crashed after I'd made changes.

If you're losing your list when restarting the computer, perhaps try exiting MC before restarting? I'm thinking that perhaps the windows shutdown routine is killing the MC process before it's fully closed?

-marko.

nexos

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2008, 04:24:19 pm »

Nope, not the case.

I'm exiting all programs including MC, restarting, and the list is empty, it's very strange.

If I close and re-open MC without restarting, the list is fine, it's like something gets "cleaned" in the restart process.

can you tell me where in the registry the favorites should be? I can try and check if they are being saved there.

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2008, 04:38:40 pm »

Next on the list of usual suspects is over-zealous security software settings...

The favourites are saved to:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JRiver\Media Center 12\Properties

Look for a string value called "Tree Favorites"

Happy hunting,

-marko.

Also worth a mention, I'm using XP SP3... you the same, or... ?

mesue

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2008, 04:57:20 pm »

I've finally got mine to save by exiting MC immediately after changing anything in favorites.

Nexos, are you running the TiVo server? I haven't used it in a while, but if I recall correctly, it used to cause MC to not shut down properly and that could be why you're losing the favorites.
Sue

nexos

• Recent member
Got it! thanks so much guys!!!
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2008, 02:16:37 pm »

First I checked the registry and saw no entry for "tree favorites", but since it "remembered" them when closing MC and re-opening, I figured something had to be still running. No Media Center process in the task manager, so what can it be?

And then it hit me - Media Server! it's running all the time in the background. as soon as I shut it down the registry entry appeared.

So thank you both marko and mesue, you rock!
Pages: [1]   Go Up