INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: When you buy MC12, you now get MC13 free  (Read 12111 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
When you buy MC12, you now get MC13 free
« on: September 12, 2008, 08:54:43 am »

Any MC12 purchaser since August 8, 2008 has received an MC13 license that will work with both MC12 and MC13.

ElQuia

• World Citizen
Re: Buy MC12 Now -- Get MC13 Free
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 10:45:31 am »

Hi! I bought MC 12 on March 05, 2007. Do I get to upgrade to MC 13 free also???. BTW: when will MC13 be available??
pachavalbecu [at] yahoo [dot] com [dot] ar

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Re: Buy MC12 Now -- Get MC13 Free
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 02:12:19 pm »

I bought it around November, 2006 and I am pleased to upgrade.  Wish the J River team could do even more of what they do.

Jean-Max

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: When you buy MC12, you now get MC13 free (since August 8, 2008)
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008, 11:01:24 am »

As an MC2 "old" user, I want to know what will be the upgrade price to MC13 ?

Thanks
Jean-Max

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2008, 11:05:45 am »

I think that's covered in one of the posts near the top of the MC13 board.  It's $19.98.

Jean-Max

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008, 10:06:27 am »

I think that's covered in one of the posts near the top of the MC13 board.  It's $19.98.
Thanks for the info :)

but .., even with your reply, I didn't founded the original post ;)

-> Is this price hidden and/or not official ? (It could be more easy to find..)

Thanks !
Jean-Max

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2008, 10:14:24 am »

Sorry about that.  The thread wasn't sticky.  It's here.

Jean-Max

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2008, 11:01:16 am »

Sorry about that.  The thread wasn't sticky.  It's here.
OK, thanks for he link, JimH :)

On this link, I have read the following sentences, so it seems that I am too hurry to upgrade to MC13  ;)

Apparently JRiver has not activated the upgrade system yet.
For now, you can just use the preview version of MC13.
The current version of MC13 works with an MC12 license.  This won't be true sometime in the future.

OK, no problem for waiting a while
After my first tests, it seems that MC13 brings some good improvements :)
Jean-Max

TheDuke

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2008, 09:25:06 pm »

Will there be any continued development of MC12 once MC13 is officially released.
As I only purchased MC12 in May, just a few months of updating may be a little on the miserable side.

By the way. I absolutely love this MC12. It was so good to finally get rid of the evil that is iTunes once and for all.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2008, 09:55:55 pm »

Will there be any continued development of MC12 once MC13 is officially released.
MC12 dev is complete.  Only big big bugs will be fixed.

Thanks for the kind words.

jeffx

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2008, 01:41:31 pm »

I just bought MC12 in June, so only 3 months of free updates for me? Guess I'll wait until 14 for my next update.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2008, 03:26:34 pm »

I hope you can understand that we have to set a date and cut it off there.   The plus is that you bought MC12 at its most mature and stable stage.

WB3FFV

• Recent member
Re: When you buy MC12, you now get MC13 free
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2008, 06:14:17 pm »

How often do you rev your versions, as I must say I am a bit shocked to see that MC13 is coming out, I just bought MC12 on the August 2nd, and less than 3 mos later I have to pay half price to get an update??  :'(

I could see maybe semi-annual, or annual updates, I don't expect you all to work for free, but it hasn't even been 3 months since I purchased the software..   

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2008, 06:50:03 pm »

How often do you rev your versions
About every year or so.

WB3FFV

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2008, 07:32:24 pm »

Darn, so I bought it at a bad time.  I would have waited had I known, as I liked it I was trying to support your effort.   Just kinda bummed you didn't even make the coverage time 3 mos for your paying customers.  Guess unless I see something in 13 I gotta have, I'll just wait for 14 to upgrade, as I'd like to think I got something out of MC12, well more than a lil over 2 mos.   Just never seen this done with anything I have bought before, granted I do like your product.

I can feel jeffx's pain, but heck at least he got 4-5 mos, I didn't even make 3.  Oh well, thems the breaks I guess, if I wait till next year I can at least feel I got my money out of it I guess.  *bummed*

:-\

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2008, 07:38:08 pm »

Darn, so I bought it at a bad time.  I would have waited had I known, as I liked it I was trying to support your effort.   Just kinda bummed you didn't even make the coverage time 3 mos for your paying customers. 
From August 8, 2008 until October 23, 2008, a purchaser of MC12 received an MC13 license that worked with both MC12 or MC13.

I hope you'll understand that we have to draw the line somewhere.

WB3FFV

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2008, 11:14:10 pm »

I understand drawing a line, I don't mean to say I don't understand that, but not even a 3 month window for new purchases??   As far as customer morale so to speak, I am sure it doesn't give any of your newer clients much in the way of warm fuzzies. 

So I am not saying that you don't have to draw a line, I am just saying that in some ways making the choice to narrow that window so short, isn't being very considerate to your newer clients.   Look around at the software industry, most at least give you 6mos or a year of updates when you buy a product new.  Heck I have quite a few products that I pay up for every year to support them, but I know when I do, that I get a year of updates/upgrades for that price.  In short, and in many ways your punishing your new purchasers (unless the purchase was super recent), but for old clients that had prior versions the update is an OK deal.

If I had the package for a year, maybe two, or three, I can update for your set fee and life is good and fair.  If I bought in a 2 month window again I get current stuff.  If I am the unlucky patron (as I am) that purchased the software a lil over 2 months ago, well tough luck bud, as you bought it at the wrong time.   Heck even some pro-rata on it would be something.  Again I am not going to loose any sleep over $20, but having purchased lots of software over the years, with many on upgrade/maintnance plans, I am just saying your really doing your clients like me, who are recent purchasers, a huge disservice with how you have this all structured.  I may very well be talking to the wind, but you really should consider how your making your clients that bought your product feel that paid full price for it all of 3 or 4 months ago, as your really overall shutting us out..

Regards...

jtek

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2008, 02:20:41 pm »

From August 8, 2008 until October 23, 2008, a purchaser of MC12 received an MC13 license that worked with both MC12 or MC13.

I am on the last week of my 30 day trial and am seriously considering making the move to Media Center 12.  I ran into this sticky and was confused by your statement above.  Was there a cutoff on the free upgrade to MC13 or was this a statement regarding a specific point in time?  I had considered going with Media Jukebox and purchasing the MP3 codec for $10, but I am starting to realize I could use the extra features provided by MC.  I am only curious as I may hold off until MC13 is available before purchasing.   ;D

Thanks for your time and wonderful job on MC and MJ!!

jtek

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2008, 05:03:16 pm »

I am on the last week of my 30 day trial and am seriously considering making the move to Media Center 12.  I ran into this sticky and was confused by your statement above.  Was there a cutoff on the free upgrade to MC13 or was this a statement regarding a specific point in time?  I had considered going with Media Jukebox and purchasing the MP3 codec for $10, but I am starting to realize I could use the extra features provided by MC.  I am only curious as I may hold off until MC13 is available before purchasing.   ;D

Thanks for your time and wonderful job on MC and MJ!!

The reason I asked this question is because there is an option to purchase MediaCenter 13 but when you click on the download link, it provides you with MediaCenter 12.  I am confused - if I wish to purchase MediaCenter, what option do I choose since v13 is still in beta test - is this what you are referring to in your previous messages?  I mean, do I select to purchase MediaCenter 13, but will get keys for both 12 and 13 and use v12 since v13 is not officially released?   ?

I would appreciate some clarification on this as I want to make sure I purchase the right thing.   ;D

arsenal

• Recent member
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2008, 11:16:41 am »

A possible "better solution" to the licensing model situation would be:

--purchase fee would be good for 1 year of major and minor updates (ala NewsLeecher)
--at the 1 year from purchase date anniversary, customer can continue using the last version which was released during his paid year, indefinitely (ala NewsLeecher)
--perhaps give customers an option of paying a slightly higher fee, something around the amount of 2 year's licensing cost, and call it a lifetime license (ala Alcohol 120%)
--customers opting to continue renewing their annual license should continue receiving a discounted rate

This would:

1. Ensure that the paid license period is fair for everyone.
2. Ensure annual license fees, supporting development.
3. End global warming?

Just my 2kb/s...  ;)

oldbopper

Opting out of original purchase
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2010, 01:48:42 pm »

This morning I purchased Media Center.  It just wouldn't install.  Then, after reading several post on the forum, I have decided I do not with to purchase it.  I have deleted the program from my computer.  Can someone from JRiver contact me?    I have already notified my credit card company that I do not wish to complete this transaction.  If the transaction continues to go through, I wll notifiy them in writing and contest the charges.

Please help.

Thank you.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2010, 02:25:29 pm »

You can't purchase without installing. 

You have a 30 day trial to decide whether it works.

What was the problem you had?
Pages: [1]   Go Up