INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: what is a library and what does it do?  (Read 2234 times)

twherreman

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
what is a library and what does it do?
« on: September 15, 2008, 01:56:49 pm »

Dear friends
I have been using MC for years, now using v. 12. I recently added a lot more music to my laptop and loose hard drives; a portion of the total is one particular genre used for DJing (10%) and a portion is (a) different genre(s) for listening (90%). When DJing I would prefer not to have to plow through the 90%, because I need to be able to find things fast. I have stuff organized in playlists and playlist groups where I find it by artist etc, but sometimes I need something fast or I don't remember exactly what it's called and I look in "Audio", but of course that has all 150 GB which is unwieldy.
Maybe a new library  would help. But I am not sure what a library is.
Is it a location where I place the mp3 files on disc?
Is it a level of organization similar to Playlist or Playlist group, but higher?
Where is it in the tree on the left?
Are the icons "Audio" and "Video" defined under the library level, or above. Meaning, when I click "Audio", do I find all the audio files in all libraries or only the ones in the Library I'm using?
Also, can files be in more than one library?
Sorry I was unable to find a definition in the help files. Thanks for your pointers.
Tine

tcman41

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Sound Surfing!
Re: what is a library and what does it do?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 03:16:14 pm »

Well it depends on how you want to browse your music, it can be done in a number of ways. I am not totally up on everything either but this is what i did.

I used to have one library for retail cd music and one library for downloaded music, i couldn't figure out how to display two libraries at once so i put all my music in one library and simply filled in the 'keyword' tag field as either "retail" or "download". Of course i had all of the retail music in one place and the downloaded in another place so selected all the same type at once and adding in the tag field was a breeze.

I then added 'keyword' as one of the panes and now simply by selected keyword 'retail' or 'downloaded' i now get album thumbnails of only the one kind and not the other but they are all in one library now which is handy for making overall playlists and such.

TC

rjm

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 05:45:16 pm »

tcman41's solution to your problem is the correct one, in my opinion. You won't see any performance improvement, given the size of your library, by splitting it into 2 libraries, and doing so will complicate your life.

You can use any free library field to implement tcman41's solution, including creating a new custom field. This latter approach may be better to avoid conflicting with other uses of the Keyword field. For example, a lot of podcasts populate Keyword.

With regard to your deeper questions, here is my attempt at an answer.

Physically, a library is a collection of *.jmd files located in a folder called "YourLibraryName".

Logically, a library is a database of metadata about files in your media collection to which each record in the database points.

A playlist is a collection of records in the database.

Put another way, an item in a playlist points to a record in the library which in turn points to your physical media file.

You can have as many libraries as you want, and each can contain any combination of your media files, however you may open only one library at a time. To share a playlist between 2 libraries you must export and import it, which is inconvenient, hence my suggestion that you probably want to avoid using 2 libraries.

twherreman

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 10:03:18 pm »

Friends,
Thank you for your reply. It is more clear to me now.
I actually think two libraries is a possible solution. I would have one with tango music and contemporary, and another one for my vintage reggae collection. The Tango etc library I use to DJ parties and listen generally, and the Reggae library is exclusively for using at home (my reggae DJ days are long gone). Most of the reggae is on a separate drive anyway and when I'm on a gig it's not connected so I don't need to see it anyway, it just clogs up my search with too many results. What I mean is the division would be entirely functional, based on what I use at one time, unlike the criterion of where I got the music, which bears no relation to how I use it. In each genre most is from my CDs, some is from online purchase.
I would never have stuff from the two libraries in the same playlist.
I am going to think some more on the matter and then act.
Thanks!!
Tine

rjm

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 01:11:50 am »

If I had only Tango and Reggae I'd choose zero libraries... :)

Raphoune

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2008, 03:12:20 pm »

Hi !
If you really don't need to see tango and reggae at the same time, you don't want to bother bother customizing your library, and want an easy and fast solution, you should create your new tango-only library. It will be a so much faster solution, you can use it immediately.
In the same time, nothing prevents you from setting up your main library the way tcman explained. Once it is fully usable for your parties, you just delete your tango library... 

Raph :))

maid

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2008, 10:08:29 pm »

Hello There,

I have a similar problem.

I have TV shows Movies Music and Pictures.

How do I create libraries for them?

I tried before but every time I tried to load a particular library it either froze up or took forever loading the thumbnails.

As I understand it you make a library by telling the program which folder to look in but mine kept putting all the tv and movies together.

I would also like to know how you get the program to put in the genre.

I would love to use the theater view but I think our set up prevents that as well.

Please help me sort this out
Cheers
Intel Core i5-4590 CPU,  Haswell Gen2,  LGA1150, 3.3GHz 6 DDR3/ 2x PCIE3.0 x16 16gb Ram Windows 10 64 bit Asus Z97-DELUXE ATX Motherboard Nvidia GForce gtx1080 Receiver Onkyo TX-NR925 TV LG LF6300 55" smart TV

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2008, 05:19:16 am »

I wonder why no one has specifically mentioned the view schemes feature.

It is possible to create view schemes that have restrictive rules and taylored view setups.

For instance, it is very easy to create separate views for "Reggae and Tango" or "TV and Movies" if the library has the values in some of the tag fields.

I have posted a couple of examples in this thread: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=44356.0

More info can be found from the help file and Wiki. Also a forum search would probably bring up helpful threads.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2008, 05:36:27 am »

I tried before but every time I tried to load a particular library it either froze up or took forever loading the thumbnails.

This is probably a thumbnail creation problem. The program creates thumbnails for new library files. After they are created the display works much faster. If the program hangs during thumbnail build-up you may (for instance) have a corrupted video file or have a badly behaving DirectShow filter. (more info about DirectShow: http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/DirectShow_Playback_Guide)

I would also like to know how you get the program to put in the genre.

Naturally you can always select the files and type or paste the genre field value, but perhaps you mean something a bit more complex or automated. Please elaborate.

I would love to use the theater view but I think our set up prevents that as well.

This may be a display device problem. Please post your system info. You can get it from the Help menu inside MC. What display card (or integrated display device) do you have? Have you kept Windows and the device drivers up-to-date? What exactly happens when you try to switch to Theater View?

EDIT

I noticed your other thread. Since Theater View is off-topic here I'll copy that part of my reply there.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

maid

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2008, 08:13:44 pm »

If I ask MC to moniter the TV folder Movie folder New Movie folder, will it put them all in one library?

As for the thumbnails it reloads them every time we restart the system and it takes forever. Is that the norm?

Cheers
Intel Core i5-4590 CPU,  Haswell Gen2,  LGA1150, 3.3GHz 6 DDR3/ 2x PCIE3.0 x16 16gb Ram Windows 10 64 bit Asus Z97-DELUXE ATX Motherboard Nvidia GForce gtx1080 Receiver Onkyo TX-NR925 TV LG LF6300 55" smart TV
Pages: [1]   Go Up