INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Idea For MC13: Customizable Field Value Sequences  (Read 992 times)

globetrotters1

• Citizen of the Universe
Idea For MC13: Customizable Field Value Sequences
« on: September 24, 2008, 05:28:02 am »

Jim et al,

just as an idea for MC13:

Have to explain a bit what I mean.

Today I use the library field 'Genre' for the music type (as usual), so I use 'Classical' for classical music
In addition I use 'Classical Genre' for the sub-genre-type, this can be from 'Medieval' etc pp to '20th Century' and 'Modern'
To have them in the sequence I want ('Medieval' is first, then 'Renaissance', then 'Baroque' and so on) I have to put a prefix number to it
so it looks like '10 Medieval', '20 Renaissance' and so on - too keep it in the sequence of the time era and not in the (in this case)
senseless alphabetical order

It looks ugly how I have to solve it today and isn't well readable (although a workable solution)

My idea would be to have a certain built-in sequencing mechanism which will be automatically suppressed when displaying the value
let's say I would set a checkmark in the custom field definition of 'Classical Genre' that I use sequencing which has to be suppressed
until and including a special character (in this example an asterisk)

I use
'10*Medieval' and it suppresses the '10*' (##*) and displays just 'Medieval'
'20*Renaissance'                          '20*'                                 'Renaissance'
and so on

If I enter such a field value when importing data and it is such a field I should get "20*Renaissance' when I start to type 'Re...'
The first time I have to enter it with the sequencing number of course

I think that this kind of mechanism would be a good addition to the functionality of your program

Martin
Pages: [1]   Go Up