INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How does "95%" option work under ripping?  (Read 2048 times)

brucemck2

• Junior Woodchuck
How does "95%" option work under ripping?
« on: September 24, 2008, 09:17:34 am »

When ripping a redbook CD to FLAC there's an option to "normalize to 95%"

What exactly does this do?

Is it, other than a volume adjustment, audible?  (Others have told me that there would be a loss of resolution.)

Peter_T

• Galactic Citizen
Re: How does "95%" option work under ripping?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 09:44:35 am »

The way I understand it, normalizing wouldn't give you a loss in resolution, but would change the original file... a lot of hard-cores want a lossless codec to be able to reproduce the original waveform exactly (i.e. a bit-perfect copy). 

If the volume is changes then the bits have changed, and decoded waveform will be different than the original.  But it's not a loss of resolution.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 10:04:46 am »

We recommend ripping without normalizing, and then using the superior Replay Gain system built into Media Center to handle volume levelling at playback time.

It may be time to remove the normalize option on rip, although some users may still like it?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

brucemck2

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 10:31:30 am »

Matt, I recently switched from XP to Vista. 

Under XP I used the replay gain and it worked very well; under XP I noticed no degradation in sound quality.  It was/is a very high quality gain control.

Under Vista when I use replay gain I notice a pretty large degradation in sound quality.

I've tried setting MC12 to 24/96 and the Vista to 24/96, and, I've tried MC12 at 16/44 with Vista at 16/44.  I'm driving a USB to Coax converter (from Empirical Audio) and that didn't change with the OS change.

Perhaps I'm missing something?

rjm

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 10:41:08 am »

We recommend ripping without normalizing, and then using the superior Replay Gain system built into Media Center to handle volume levelling at playback time.

It may be time to remove the normalize option on rip, although some users may still like it?
I vote to get rid of it. Users who do not understand implications may do unnecessary damage to their music.

brucemck2

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2008, 09:03:30 am »

Matt, I recently switched from XP to Vista. 

Under XP I used the replay gain and it worked very well; under XP I noticed no degradation in sound quality.  It was/is a very high quality gain control.

Under Vista when I use replay gain I notice a pretty large degradation in sound quality.

I've tried setting MC12 to 24/96 and the Vista to 24/96, and, I've tried MC12 at 16/44 with Vista at 16/44.  I'm driving a USB to Coax converter (from Empirical Audio) and that didn't change with the OS change.

Perhaps I'm missing something?

bump

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2008, 10:08:17 am »

That's hard to understand.  Could you describe the sound quality problem?

Replay Gain is a simple 32-bit attenuation (multiply by a scalar) so it shouldn't change the quality of the sound.  Are the "Total change" values reported in DSP Studio reasonable?

If the level output from the computer is too low, it's possible you'll have to turn your amp or speakers up more which could introduce more noise.  I'd make sure all the volume sliders (Vista has a system and application slider, and also DSP optional effects) are high enough.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

brucemck2

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2008, 12:57:24 pm »

There is a loss of "air", "sparkle", and "clarity" ... sort of "muffled".  Not tinny or harsh, just muffled.  Sort of like putting several layers of gauze over a speaker.

I believe I have all the Vista effects turned off, and, all the sliders at 100% volume.  Maybe I missed one?
Pages: [1]   Go Up