INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New MP3 tagger in MC13 Preview 2  (Read 2779 times)

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
New MP3 tagger in MC13 Preview 2
« on: October 01, 2008, 02:17:47 pm »

As you may have noticed from the release log, the Preview 2 build has a new MP3 tagger component.

The main difference from the user point of view is that most user, aka custom, tags are now saved to TXXX ID3v2 frames instead of COMM ID3v2 frames. Only the so called Musicmatch tags are still saved to COMM frames.

In addition, the Album Artist tag is now saved to the TPE2 "Band" frame to make the tag compatible with iTunes, WMP, Rockbox and some other devices & programs. The library field Band is now saved to the new TXXX(Band/Orchestra) frame.

Newcomers may now have easier time when they want to import the Album Artist and possible custom tags they have created with other programs.

The Preview 2 build supports reading legacy ID3v2 tags, but on the next tag write it will use the new tagging style.

Just remember that older versions of MC are not able to read the new TXXX tags written by the new build. If you want to be sure that the new build does not remove the old style COMM tags before you are ready to ugrade to MC13 permanently you can disable tag writing in Options > General > Importing & Tagging > Update tags when file info changes.

However, naturally it would be good if all previewers would test the new tagging system and report any problems.

P.S.  I think this is a very good feature change and I decided to help the JRiver guys a bit by writing this. However, this is solely based on my personal opinions and my point of view. Jim & Matt, feel free the edit this post if you want to change something.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: New MP3 tagger in MC13 Preview 2
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 02:21:29 pm »

P.S.  I think this is a very good feature change and I decided to help the JRiver guys a bit by writing this. However, this is solely based on my personal opinions and my point of view. Jim & Matt, feel free the edit this post if you want to change something.
No, we were happy to have your able assistance, and even happier that you're sticking your neck out (and risking your reputation) with ours.   ;D

qwert73

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 12:17:48 pm »

I am very happy about this changes! May i ask if there are any plans to change the tagging of other filetypes (ogg, flac, ...) in a similar way - means: to do without the "MEDIACENTER" resp. "MEDIAJUKEBOX" in the tagframe name.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 12:53:22 pm »

I am very happy about this changes! May i ask if there are any plans to change the tagging of other filetypes (ogg, flac, ...) in a similar way - means: to do without the "MEDIACENTER" resp. "MEDIAJUKEBOX" in the tagframe name.

We're not that opinionated about this one.

It was done to avoid collisions when there wasn't a defined name for a field.

If people don't like it, we could consider changing it.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 08:35:44 am »

Actually, scthom already did that in the FLAC decoder. No collisions have been reported.

If a new MC user has a custom tag in FLAC files the tag can be easily imported to MC by simply creating a new library field with the same name. This isn't possible with APE, OGG and MPC.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

qwert73

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 11:58:09 am »

If a new MC user has a custom tag in FLAC files the tag can be easily imported to MC by simply creating a new library field with the same name.

That is the reason why i am asking! ;)
Would love to do the same with other files too - especially ogg's.

Very impressive new version of MC.
Pages: [1]   Go Up