INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playing via Album view does not order by disc number - help?  (Read 1442 times)

druid

• Recent member
Playing via Album view does not order by disc number - help?
« on: October 14, 2008, 01:50:22 am »

Hi guys!

I've recently discovered a problem that often does not affect me.  Only in unique circumstances does it affect but I can't seem to pin the problem.

First of all, I have a view scheme that is set to view only "Album".  And the modify results sorting is, in order from first to last, "Artist", "Date", "Album", "Discnumber", "Tracknumber" and "Name".  I should point out that for Artist, Album and Name I have set up custom fields to load an English tag for those three if they exist, otherwise just load the normal tag.  "Discnumber" by default in MJ is "Disc #" but I don't like that and didn't use it before, so I just included my own.  It is just an integer.

Now, I have a "Soundtrack" with discs from "1" to "5".  When I double click on the album (which of course is not listed per disc, but all together) it goes to Playing Now, but it plays the first track from disc 1 to 5, then the second track from disc 1 to 5.  Instead, of course, of playing the first disc in track order, then the second disc.

The view is set to "Album thumbnails".  If I go to "customize current view", the sorting is set out the same way as I wrote above.  I have "Honor parent search string" enabled; I'm not sure if this is doing it or not, but in general all my sorting is done this same way.

I know I'm using a different Disc # tag to the default, but I have explicitly stated Discnumber every I can find.  So can anyone help me with this issue?

If I create a playlist, and set up it's ordering, it plays in the correct order.  It is just from this one view that it happens.

My only thought is that MJ is hard-wired to order by its own disc # tag?  But surely not...

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Playing via Album view does not order by disc number - help?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 02:58:50 am »

I don't know why your custom "Discnumber" field is not taken into account when you have it in the sort rule before the track number field, but the default Disc # field is indeed tied to the Track # field and the internal track numbering and sorting logic. Maybe the internal Track/Disc number system can override other sort items.

I'd recommend testing the default Disc # number field. If it works as expected you can copy the values of your custom field to it by using the Move/Copy Fields tool.

If you don't like the "Disc #" name you can change just the displayed name in the field specific options. A name change does not affect the field's functionality.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

druid

• Recent member
Re: Playing via Album view does not order by disc number - help?
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 03:08:57 am »

AHA!  Thank you!  I copied it to the Disc # tag and it orders correctly!  Now I understand.  The "Album Thumbnails" view must be hard-wired to use Disc # !!!  Can't say I'm happy about that with all the sorting info I put in there.  *sigh*

I will continue to use Discnumber.  This seems to be an inconsistency in the functioning of Media Jukebox, and I'd bet, Media Center as well.  Everywhere else it orders properly using my custom field; not sure why when an album is doubleclicked to play in the album view it can't just use the sorting I put in the view scheme in the first place.

Maybe this IS a bug?  Should I report it?  I sort of assume it's deliberate sometimes when maybe I shouldn't.  So many programs do tend to enforce their own ideals and don't allow users to change it should they wish to.

Anyway in short:
- It works when in Disc #.
- I'm still going to stick to Discnumber because I use other programs with files too, I don't let MJ tag my files anyway because I don't like its enforcement of its own ideals and I can't change the default tags.
- Should I report this as an inconsistency and/or bug, seeing as any other doubeclick to play attempt I've tried plays it correctly?

Thanks for your help again!
Pages: [1]   Go Up