INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Skippy Audio Playback  (Read 2153 times)

Justme

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Skippy Audio Playback
« on: October 29, 2008, 08:09:17 am »

Hi there,

I have MC12 (Latest version) on a reasonably powerful machine (2.2Gig Dual Processor, 4G RAM etc) But on MC12 I constantly get poor audio playback with constant skipping. No other audio player does this so it must be a problem with MC12, or at least some setting. I have tried switching the output mode (the wave mapper marked as recommended skips the most) the others are better but still loads of skipping. Buffering is set to the far left (more resistant to skipping) and no DSP's are set.

Is there anything else I can do to improve audio quality?

cheers

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Skippy Audio Playback
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 09:41:39 am »

In the thread on "Weird Problems" in my signature below, you'll find possible audio problems.  It's not MC.  It's the disk, the network, a virus checker, or ....

You could also try switching MC Options for Playback from Direct Sound to Wave Out or vice versa.

Justme

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 11:42:23 am »

Thanks for your reply.

However, I must add that if it's not MC, then why do all my other audio players work perfectly, whether it's iTunes, SqueezeCenter, Microsoft Media Player etc etc. The only one that doesn't work and skips or the music completely hangs is MC.

Anyway, thanks also for the link. I've been having a long read through it but still haven't found a solution. I'll keep at it though, as MC certainly has the best cataloging interface around, and I still wish to use this as my main player.

I'd like to add that I'm using AVG V8 Free Anti Virus if anyone knows if this is related to the skipping problems and a solution I'd appreciate the help.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 04:49:36 pm »

Try WaveOut vs DirectSound vs ASIO. (if you're trying MC 13, you could also try WASAPI on Vista)

If you have a high-end card, you might also check to see if it allows you to set the ASIO/WDM buffer size to a larger number.

(p.s. if you have small hiccups, it's unlikely that moving the buffering slider past 1 second will help -- it'll just cause latency when you manually switch tracks, seek, etc.)

Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2008, 02:57:12 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up