INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: image rotation problem (solved)  (Read 2029 times)

robydago

• Citizen of the Universe
image rotation problem (solved)
« on: October 29, 2008, 03:42:47 pm »

This started with MC12:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=47204.0
but it's still bothering me in MC13:

The problem I have is that when I import photos in MC that are portrait oriented (automatically set in the EXIF info by the cameras) I'd like to physically rotate those photos and reset their orientation (rotation in MC) tag to 0.
Since I'm not able to do that in MC (anyone knows how to do that with MC?), I use two different external programs, IrfanView and FastStone ImageViewer, to autorotate according to EXIF info.
While those programs do what they are supposed to do, MC keeps applying to the image the rotation value it has in its database, so the image gets double rotated...

Judging by some tests I've done, when programs like IrfanView and ImageViewr (and I think all others) reset the orientation according to EXIF data, they reset the orientation info  in a section of the EXIF data without  touching a different section containing the orientation info about how the picture was taken.
So it seems that the Orientation tag is present, by design, twice in the EXIF data:
1- it represents the actual orientation of the file, that can be changed by image editing programs
2- it represents how the picture was taken by the camera and so it will never change

The result of my quick tests is that MC ignores orientation info 1 and it's stuck with orientation info 2.

Hope either someone tells me what I'm doing wrong or JR fix the problem...

EDIT

I think I've found the main source of my problems: the rotation tag was not set to "Store in file tags (when possible)",
BTW, is "not store"  the default setting for the rotation tag? I don't remember changing it.

Anyway, now I think I can accomplish in MC what I'm after, by selecting all images with the same non 0 orientation and then:
- resetting the rotation tag to 0
- rotating the image accordingly (left or right)
- running an "Update tags (from library)"

Still it would be much easier and faster if JR added a "rotate according to EXIF orientation" command...

robydago

Re: image rotation problem (solved)
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 05:22:55 pm »

* bump *

see edit of previous post

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: image rotation problem (solved)
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 06:12:13 pm »