INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: For JimH . . . media server and APE  (Read 1172 times)

Vlad

For JimH . . . media server and APE
« on: July 24, 2002, 01:29:57 pm »

Hi JimH,

I read in a thread recently that Media Server only streams MP3 at the moment and all other formats are downloaded prior to play.  But, I've just read your post on the Hydrogen Audio forum which says that at home you use a Sony Vaio on a wireless network to feed your hi-fi system.  I know that you are an "ape man" like myself, so, are you just puting up with the long pause between tracks or is there some kind of trick?

Also, on a LAN, is there any advantage to Media Server over just running MJ in party mode, pointing at a network drive?

gateley

RE:For JimH . . . media server and APE
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2002, 01:44:45 pm »

(I'm not JimH)

Ape is (roughly) 10MBytes per minute or 180KBytes/second.
Home wireless (802.11b) is (usually) more than 1MByte/second,
and so ape will play fine.

j

Vlad

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2002, 01:51:53 pm »

gateley,

I know there's no problem with streaming bandwidth, it's just that as far as I know MJ does not stream ape files.  It does a full download and then starts to play.  That gives a 10-30 second break between tracks on my 100mbps home network.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2002, 02:28:53 pm »

It does a full download and then starts to play

The newest Media Jukebox |PLS| APE plugin fixes this. (8.0.33?)
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Vlad

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2002, 02:41:55 pm »

Excellent, Matt.  I didn't know that.  I'll try it tonight.

What about...

Also, on a LAN, is there any advantage to Media Server over just running MJ in party mode, pointing at a network drive?

Thanks.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2002, 02:46:42 pm »

It's cleaner and easier to use Media Server.  Both will work though...

JGourd

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2002, 04:17:31 pm »

I do use the media server sometimes. Mostly I use a share on my file server. I map the same drive letter on all the machines on my network (nine at last count) and on the file server itself, I subst the shared drive to the same letter. On any machine where I make a change to the database, I make a DB backup to the file server and on the other machines I do a restore. I also run the MJ server on the file server machine itself so others in my household don't have to bother with restoring the DB.

Why do it this way? Well, most of my machines are part of my "server farm". I tend to do most of the updating/importing on my primary workstation, but I tend to play the MJ files on a different machine through my studio monitors. I control that machine with the web remote plugin.

When it is time to do something drastic to the DB, I go to the machine where the files physically reside because it is faster. I have almost 20,000 of my 30,000|PLS| MP3s analyized for Replay Gain. I can do about 4000 a day by doing it on the machine where the files actually live.

Mirko

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2002, 08:15:41 pm »

@JGourd:

How to you "replay gain" all the mp3s? As far as I know, MJ only applies it when it comes to playlists.

Thanks.

Harry The Hipster

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2002, 12:10:26 am »

Select files, right-click>Properties>Tools>Replay Gain>Analyze. Can do mass analysis overnight.

HTH

Mirko

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2002, 01:20:20 am »

Is the replay gain a permanent modification? Or are these informations saved into the database?
Wondering, if replay gain may change my mp3s...

Thanks.

Harry|PLS|The|PLS|Hipster

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2002, 04:19:15 am »

From the help Index:

"Replay Gain
Use this setting to adjust the volume of your file. Media Jukebox analyzes the file and stores the information in the database and in the file itself, so that playing the file with any player will play it back at the volume set here.

To open the Replay Gain settings, click on  in the Player Window, select DSP Studio then check Replay Gain."

HTH

Listening to: 'The Last One To Know' from 'I've Got The Blues' by 'Lowell Fulson' on Media Jukebox

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2002, 05:24:53 am »

so that playing the file with any player will play it back at the volume set here.

That's not really true.

Replay Gain anlaysis doesn't change the audio data of a file -- it only stores a few extra numbers in the tag.

Other programs could use those numbers and apply Replay Gain in their playback engine, but to date, nobody does that I'm aware of...

Mirko

• Galactic Citizen
  • Coffee ready?
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2002, 06:36:21 am »

Thank you very much. Now I know what my PC does this night :-)

Listening to: 'Mental Power / Dream Sequence' from 'JDJ: Journeys Through The Land Of Drum'n'Bass: DJ Rap' by 'DJ Rap' on Media Jukebox
Pages: [1]   Go Up