INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC13.exe Hangs When Run from Service in Vista  (Read 2745 times)

cncb

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
MC13.exe Hangs When Run from Service in Vista
« on: November 06, 2008, 10:13:25 pm »

I have a pretty obscure problem I have run into since upgrading to Vista.  I run an MC13 command from an application running as a service.  This worked fine in XP but in Vista MC13.exe just seems to hang (is shown in Task Manager until I manually kill the process).  I have tried running the service both as the "Local System" account with desktop access and as a specific user with the same results.  There just appears to be something different in Vista.  Any ideas?
-Craig    MO 4Media remote and player:  Android/TV/Auto | iOS | Windows 10/UWP

cncb

• MC Beta Team
Re: MC13.exe Hangs When Run from Service in Vista
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 04:08:45 pm »

Any ideas about this?  This is really causing problems for me.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 05:07:49 pm »

I don't have any ideas, but you might check the log file.  Delete it by hand, then run the program.  Check for "Launcher" in the log file.

Also, try other commands like /Close or /MonitorSwitch to see if they behave differently.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 06:14:48 pm »

I was not able to get logging to work when running MC from the Local System account (the service application uses the SDK so MC is launched from there).  I was able to manually edit the registry (under HKEY_USERS/.DEFAULT key) to get the appropriate library to load by default but I tried to add all the Debug keys for logging without success.

In any case /Close does not seem to hang but doesn't effect anything presumably because MC was "launched" from the SDK.  What really would be ideal is if you could add some methods to the SDK that allow you to interact with the libraries.  Particularly, loading/refreshing a specific library as read-only would be very useful.

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2008, 01:37:42 pm »

Any chance you guys could consider adding a method to the SDK to reload the library as read-only?  I cannot get the /MCC command to work from a service and the only way to get this to work is to open the Task Manager and manually kill "Media Center 13.exe".  I know it is my fault for upgrading to Vista but I'm not about to try to explain this to my family  :).

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 10:50:26 am »

Matt,

I finally figured out what was going on.  Vista changed such that any UI for a program run from a service (as "Local System" account) is shown in a separate "window" called "Interactive services".  In XP everything was just shown on the normal desktop.  The service was using automation such that the main MC UI was never shown and therefore I was never able to respond to the MC "read only library" warning dialog so it appeared like it was hanging.  I had my service launch MC normally and then was able to respond to this dialog.  Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up