INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Finishing off "views"  (Read 2876 times)

park

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I wish I had more to say!
Finishing off "views"
« on: November 10, 2008, 11:03:54 am »

The new view wizard is nice in that everything is in one place, but still feels rough around the edges. Here's what I'd do to finish it off:

! bold parts are for skim readers to get my main points.

1. Make use of the media type buttons at the top of the tree. Since they are almost redundant at the moment (clicking on one actually takes you to another view) I'd add some controls to them. The most obvious one I can think of would be a nice little "plus" symbol in the corner of the media type button to allow one click creation of new viewswithout needing to "feel around" for a way to do it. You might also have a link to customize the currently selected view too.

2. As I've mentioned before, the new views dont really fit into the "sub views of the main viewscheme" past MCs. I would remove the indent, and make each "view" item in the tree much bigger.To add some visual flair I'd separate off the views part of the tree and create a sexy animated way of switching between them. That's the kind of small polish that apple is so good at.

3. "Allow tree selection", "Support tree browsing" and "lock view" confuse the hell out of me. The frst 2 are worded so similarly I have trouble remembering what each one does. I figured out that "support tree browsing" put the first category's items in the tree. I find it ugly, and think it should be off by default.

4. "Set rules for display" is buried away, but is one of the most important parts of defining a view.

5. For "View as", why bother with a drop down menu of options. Why not have a bunch of icons showing the user what the view will look like. A simple grid of the different view styles with drop down menus for the [category] that you want to be selected by default, would be so much more elegant. (even sexier if these icons were full color and animated)

6. I think this is a bug: Sorting can only be changed on the interface at the first breadcrumb level. After that the breadcrumbs lose the drop down menu ability, so you cant change the sorting.
I think that sorting changes made in the customize view dialog should be permanant, and sorting changes made on the interface should be just for that session. We dont need the ability to create presets on the interface. We can do that in the customize view wizard. Just the presets would be fine.

7. Bottom views list header bar is crying out (or maybe that's me) for "list style" icons. The bottom list is still and will always be the single most important and unconciously expected place for the user to want to flick between thumbnails and details.

And now that we have grouping, even if you dont give us the ability to change the "group by" out on the main interface, you must must must (please :)) give us the ability to toggle grouping on and off in the bottom list with a simple button.

I'd even put a fly out sorting menu in that header bar too (just the presets would be enough).

Doing these 3 things woud put a little of MC12's flexibility back into MC13's quite rigid view system.

8. The view picker, when you add a new view, should be split in 2 for starters. The top half should display all the different view styles you've saved to your hard drive. The bottom half should have some suggested views. These could be taken from the net and decided by jriver at first and then later, perhaps a voting system could be introduced and run by the community.

All of these suggestions are to make MC's features more apparent to the non power user, and give them a gentle push into the ways that views can be customized. If even half of them were implemented, I'm sure MC would be a little easier to use.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Finishing off "views"
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 12:46:19 pm »

1. Make use of the media type buttons at the top of the tree. Since they are almost redundant at the moment (clicking on one actually takes you to another view) ...

3. "Allow tree selection"...

You can edit the root categories directly and enable "Allow tree selection".  That makes possible to select and use the root categories (aka media type buttons) similarly as before these recent changes.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

park

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 09:58:26 pm »

Really, I didnt know that. I actually prefer that they arent views in their own right. They act as a nice shortcut for going to your "real" default view, which has a name that better represents what it does. I guess that since it's customizable, the current way is fine, but I'd bury the "Allow tree selection" in the advanced options.

I also thought of one more very important shortcoming of the current views: there is nowhere to name the view inside the "Customize view" wizard.

park

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 10:31:57 pm »

3. "Allow tree selection", "Support tree browsing" and "lock view" confuse the hell out of me. The frst 2 are worded so similarly I have trouble remembering what each one does. I figured out that "support tree browsing" put the first category's items in the tree. I find it ugly, and think it should be off by default.

Regarding the "Support tree browsing": Rather than being able to see all the items for the top category, it would be much more useful if this actually displayed the whole list of categories instead. Then we could have our cake and eat it. We could "view as... thumbnails" in the top list, and at any time we like we'd be able to choose which of the categories to start our browsing at. No more being locked into browsing from the first category in the list.

park

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 01:59:34 am »

Another great idea  ;)

1. In "Customize view" why have "Top" and "Bottom" in a drop down menu. It's only 2 choices and will only ever be 2 choices. How about two icons/buttons next to each other, visually showing you what you are editing and allowing one click switching between the 2.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 02:14:16 am »

We also need a way to delete saved views that are no longer wanted that doesn't involve locating the physical .jvi files on the hard drive and deleting them.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2008, 10:16:46 pm »

We also need a way to delete saved views that are no longer wanted that doesn't involve locating the physical .jvi files on the hard drive and deleting them.

I agree. You should be able to delete from within MC.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 10:20:03 pm »

Another great idea  ;)

1. In "Customize view" why have "Top" and "Bottom" in a drop down menu. It's only 2 choices and will only ever be 2 choices. How about two icons/buttons next to each other, visually showing you what you are editing and allowing one click switching between the 2.

I think this would help. The drop down menus are better for longer lists of choices.

park

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2008, 02:58:38 am »

How about this too:

Ability to change order of views in the tree by drag and drop.

Then we could get rid of the "position" opitons in the customize view wizard.

gappie

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2008, 03:30:27 pm »

How about this too:

Ability to change order of views in the tree by drag and drop.

Then we could get rid of the "position" opitons in the customize view wizard.
bingo..  :)

park

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2009, 10:48:42 pm »

Here are some stock views, or views that should appear in the pick wizard, that I think would benefit non-power users too (ie. encourage them to start tagging more categories in their files):

Audio:
Classical Music (include all relevant categories related to classical music: Instrument, Composer, etc.)
Sub Genres (include a sub-genre category after Genre, so that people will create fewer genres and then allow them to finetune their browsing using sub-genres)

People (view with People category and a "Quickies" pane that shows entries such as "Family" "Friends" "Co-workers". Obviiously it will require the user to go in to the quickies list and edit which people belong to each group.)
Places (View which starts at Country and then narrows down gradually with categories such as Area, Places, Keywords)

Video:
Directors (view which shows movies by Director)
Main Star (view which shows movies by Main Star)
Country (View which shows movies by which country they come from)
TV (view containing Genre, Album, Series, and filtered to only show stuff with Type:TV)

darichman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2009, 11:02:29 pm »

I like all of these, especially your ideas for stock video views.

People (view with People category and a "Quickies" pane that shows entries such as "Family" "Friends" "Co-workers". Obviiously it will require the user to go in to the quickies list and edit which people belong to each group.)

This would be awesome, but how do you suggest to do it? There is no way at the moment to "tag" a person, only the photo itself. Eg if Bob is family and Sally is a workmate, there is no way for me to tell MC that photos with Bob should go under family and those with Sally under work workmates - it would mean that the user would have to manually tag each new photo with a people category AND with the people themselves, even though the People category for a particular person would never change... this is venturing into relational database territory here...

park

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2009, 10:04:09 pm »

The way I do it now is to use the "People" tag. I can't remember if it's a default MC tag or one I made, but it's semicolon delimited, so I can tag one photo with all the people who appear in it.

Then, in Quickies, I have a search set up called "family" which has a search rule of [People]=(I manually tick all the people I consider family).

Admittedly, the "Friends" quickie is quite difficult because that changes so much over time. I suppose that another way to do it could be to use nested tags inside the "People" tag. I might try that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up