INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What's it doin'?  (Read 2543 times)

Peter_T

• Galactic Citizen
What's it doin'?
« on: November 14, 2008, 05:07:36 pm »

OK... I just got home from work and opened up my laptop.  I had left MC running (idle) this morning.  I get home and it's saving tag changes... 600 of them.  Slowly.

What's up?

AoXoMoXoA

• Citizen of the Universe
  • I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
Re: What's it doin'?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 08:55:13 am »

Well that depends on your settings and such.

It could be:
1) building thumbnails - if you have newly imported files and did not check the option to build them during Import (MC will build them in the background, or this could have been started by Auto-Import running)
2) running Auto-Import, scanning the drives for new files and tag changes - if you have the option checked to allow Auto-Import
3) finding cover art - if you have files without art and the option checked to find cover art (started by Auto-Import running)
4) analyzing audio - if this is also checked to run during import (started by Auto-Import running)

In any of these cases it should stop after a time (when task is complete), but you can also disable some of these options if you prefer they only run when you initiate them.

Of course there may be others I am not considering or aware of, but I suspect it is likely one I mentioned.
. . . the game is rigged

Peter_T

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 03:53:58 pm »

Does it have to do so many at once?  Maybe it's bad luck, but I'm waiting for 386 tags now... I thought all this would have been done already (I've been using MC for some time now...)

Peter_T

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 05:16:40 am »

Just now MC seemed to be idle, and I wanted to look for something in a different library.  But I guess I'll go and get a coffee instead, because all of a sudden MC tells me that it's saving tag changes on 1200+ files... jeez. 

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 08:43:31 am »

Just now MC seemed to be idle, and I wanted to look for something in a different library.  But I guess I'll go and get a coffee instead, because all of a sudden MC tells me that it's saving tag changes on 1200+ files... jeez. 

Are you possibly editing some tags by hand, or using a third-party plugin that tags files?  If not, it might be worth using logging to see if we can get a better picture of what's happening.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Peter_T

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2008, 05:29:05 pm »

Nope - I do 100% of my tagging in MC.  I'll turn on logging...

Peter_T

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2008, 04:55:00 pm »

OK... MC just finished anouther mega tagging session.  This time about 1100-1200 files.  What do I do with the log file?  I opened it up, but I really don't know what to look for. 

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2008, 08:59:53 pm »

OK... MC just finished anouther mega tagging session.  This time about 1100-1200 files.  What do I do with the log file?  I opened it up, but I really don't know what to look for. 

You might email a copy to matt at jriver dot com with a link to this thread.

Thanks.

Peter_T

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2008, 11:52:45 am »

Done.  Thanks!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2008, 09:31:25 am »

Thanks for the log.

I'm not quite sure what it shows.  Auto-import is finding a lot of changed files.  This means the date modified on disk is newer than the database.  It normally happens if an external program changes the files.

There are hundreds like this:
0016037: 5668: Import: AddFile: Changed: M:\Music\(Multiple Artists) - Bacobens Rock Top 500\05 Won't Get Fooled Again.mp3
0016037: 5668: Import: AddFile: Changed: M:\Music\(Multiple Artists) - Bacobens Rock Top 500\06 Light My Fire.mp3
0016052: 5668: Import: AddFile: Changed: M:\Music\(Multiple Artists) - Bacobens Rock Top 500\08 Hotel California.mp3
0016052: 5668: Import: AddFile: Changed: M:\Music\(Multiple Artists) - Bacobens Rock Top 500\102 Revolution.mp3

Then about 56 seconds into the run, something submits a bunch of tagging changes.  I don't know what.  Were you doing some Action Window tagging, or something similar?

Files like:
M:\Music\(Multiple Artists) - Bacobens Rock Top 500\444 Spirit In The Sky.mp3
M:\Music\(Multiple Artists) - Bacobens Rock Top 500\445 All My Love.mp3

One possibility is that the cover art system is getting art for those new files and saving them to the tags.  However, this would work slowly, I think.

If you wantTo figure it out, I think we need to simplify.  For example, you might run auto-import manually once and look at the result.  You could also disable auto-import and see what changes.

Thanks.

Peter_T

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2008, 11:28:58 am »

Hmmm...  I do a lot of tagging, but these operations are discreet and generally finish while I'm sitting in front of the PC.  These mystery tagging sessions show up after I've left the machine for some time. 

I will try disabling the auto-import options for a time and see what changes. 

Thanks for your help.  I'll let you know how it goes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up