INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Automatic /MonitorSwitch control?  (Read 4105 times)

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Automatic /MonitorSwitch control?
« on: November 14, 2008, 07:55:42 pm »

Back in this thread http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=43879.0 the MC12.exe /MonitorSwitch command was introduced.

It was also suggested that it woukd be great if MC could do this automatically based on the video source file.

At the time I didn't understand the issue as I just ran at 60Hz for everything.

BUT now that Ralf has corrupted my simple thinking and shown me that PAL videos are MUCH smoother at 25Hz I see the problem.

When I play back NTSC DVD's a get a lot of tearing until I switch the refresh back to 60Hz.

That's easy for me, but the wife.... hmmmm ... let's no go there!

So is it possible to have MC switch the monitor settings based on a libriary field value or something so we could control this without having to do it manually?

Please..please....  I'd even consider grovelling if it would help :)

Thanks
Richard

raym

• MC Beta Team
Re: Automatic /MonitorSwitch control?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 08:12:22 pm »

BUT now that Ralf has corrupted my simple thinking ...

Oops, sorry about that  ;D

Great idea. I use a script (mapped to my remote) to toggle refresh rates but yeah, if MC could do it auto-magically based on video content, that would be awesome! 
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 08:33:08 pm »

This feature is great!   I Love IT!  You can store all customised playback information for each Video in the "Playback Info" field in the Libray.  This can include Resolution & Refresh Rate, Crop Edges, Aspect Ratio etc.  To set them you just play the video, right click and then you can select your prefered playback settings for this file that is then added to the "Playback Info" field for the file for next time.   What I do is play around with the settings I like on a sample file then just copy the settings to all similar files.

I think you will find that NTSC looks best @ 60hz, PAL @ 50hz, and most 1080p material @24hz if your display & graphics card can support those settings.

Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 08:35:00 pm »

I put a Wiki entry on this as well when it came out at http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/Customisable_Video_Playback
JRiver CEO Elect

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2008, 09:16:55 pm »

I'd forgotten about the playback info field and it being set automatically by MC!

But I also now remember I didn;t seemt oi be able to get it to work...

When I playback a DVR-MS file I get a "Change Display Settings" right-click option, but it doesn't show all my cards supported settings.  For exampe it has 1920x1080/32/60hz but not 1920x1080/32/50hz which I can set from the ATI control center.

Also if I playback a DVD ripped to my hard drive (and I'd assume any DVD), there is no "Change Display Settings" option at all.

So is there a syntax for the Playback Info field that we can work off to manually set what we want?

Cheers
Richard

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2008, 09:58:22 pm »

Mmm odd that you can not see the 50hz - Yaobing may be able to suggest why this is missing.  I take it that your Default Monitor setting is 1920x1080/32/50hz (being in OZ) - so then you only need to tag the NTSC files as 60hz as MC reverts to your standard setting after playback of the file.  Yaobing may also be able to suggest what do do regarding the ripped DVD's (or any physical DVD's for that matter).  FYI - when I was ripping DVD's I'd rip them as a file(s), eg all my West Wing eps are a mix of PAL and NTSC from DVD, some I've tagged to play back at 60hz.
Thanks
nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 07:26:01 am »

OK so now I have a problem/question for setting the Playback Info value for material.

I have two machines setup running MC13m both SHARING the same library (both read only) but they have different displays.

My primary machine runs the full 1920x1080/32/50Hz but my other machine only has an old plasma connected and the card/monitor won't handle 1920x1080.

Can I change the refresh rate from 50 to 60Hz for certain material but leave the monitor resolution as whatever it is currently set to using the Playback Info tag?

Cheers
Richard

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 12:18:49 pm »

Just a note... Many of the new flat-panel displays coming out this year are 120Hz models (the PAL-land people probably have 100Hz models instead).  If you have one of these, they can eliminate the need to custom adjust the refresh rate to match the content.  120Hz is high enough that you don't see any jitter with 24p content (unless you are super-dooper eagle eyed).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 08:33:44 pm »

I'd imagine that it actually depends on:
1) if your TV (and AV Equipment) will accept (and HTPC will output) a 120hz signal VS it's internal processing and then:
2) the quality of the interpolation algorithms used in the HTPC (or whatever is generating the additional frames). 

To point 1: As far as I know the only frequencies defined in TV Land for TRANSMITTING Video over HDMI are the CE standard timings like 1080p (eg 1920x1080@24/50/60hz).  While I’ve read some thread that talk of CE equipment that may accept “PC” timings I've no real advice on this.  It’s a bit like all the old analogue 100/120hz sets – yes they can refresh the screen more often but the TV Signal was still RECEIVING the same old PAL/NTSC signal.

To point 2:  As an example my Kuro's internal process works at a multiple of the signal received (eg it runs internally at 72hz if it gets a 24hz feed).  Advice from the Tech doing my ISF Calibration is that the algorithms used by the TV's to interpolate (rather than just repeat) the additional frames (eg from 24 to 72) are showing promise but still tend to introduce odd artefacts and while his experience has shown you can get “smoother” output he turns these interpolations features OFF. 

So the result is that your transmission choices between the TV / AV Receiver / Video Source are still the same is still defined CE/TV based frequencies of 24/50/60hz and since media (Disk / Broadcast signal etc) is still produced in 24p / 50i / 60i you either match the two together or accept (not notice) the work done to adapt a mismatched frame to frequency rate.  Even the PS3 with all it’s wiz bang core processors detect and switch it’s frequency output to match that of the media being played (between DVD and Blu-ray anyway).

While not everyone has the same setup, this debate is of particular importance for these in the CE world (with general AV Equipment) as these devices tend to follow the usual CE standards not the PC ones.  These issues also become far more apparent the larger your Display Device gets.  I know that playing 1080/24p material on a PC’s 22” 120hz PC monitor looks good, but so does low bit rate bit torrent material on this rig but looks terrible on the 60” Kuro.

Thanks
Nathan

PS - I'm always willing to come around, have a glass of wine and have a look at other setups!

EDIT - Here is a simple write up of the pro's and con's of higher freq internal processing on TV sets http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6449_7-6792632-1.html - All aimed at how a TV processes the received Video signal - none of which address issues intoduced when adapting mismatched frame rates to the frequence by the device used to transmit the signal to the TV.

EDIT2 - couple of other sources:
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telecine : an overview of how media is adapted from say Film (24fps) to PAL (25/50) or NTSC (30/60 hz - excuse the rounding).  This is importantant for how a Video Player (HTPC etc) reads a Source (file disk at say 24fps) then manipulates it to output the signal at another frequency (eg 50/60hz).  The problem of Telecine Judder beomes incorporated into this output video feed if there is a frequency mismatch.
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_interpolation : how more modern TV sets receive a video feed (at a particular frequency) then manipulates it for display. 
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2009, 09:07:30 pm »

OK so now I have a problem/question for setting the Playback Info value for material.

I have two machines setup running MC13m both SHARING the same library (both read only) but they have different displays.

My primary machine runs the full 1920x1080/32/50Hz but my other machine only has an old plasma connected and the card/monitor won't handle 1920x1080.

Can I change the refresh rate from 50 to 60Hz for certain material but leave the monitor resolution as whatever it is currently set to using the Playback Info tag?

Cheers
Richard

You might be fine with the old machine as most times you can not select a timing that the card will not support so it will just ignore the request for a timing change - maybe (you could try it but......).  Your other options would be to use different libraries (not good) or to use Reclock and a customised script on each (pending the issue in the other thread on the issue of changing refresh rates on a filter graph once it has been build).
JRiver CEO Elect

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2009, 11:16:36 pm »

I've been using a script with reclock to do my display refreah changes for 50Hz to 60 or 24 but I have a couple of DVD rips now that the intro is at 29.xxHz and then it switches to Cinema mode at 23.9x Hz, this totally mucks up Reclock as it sets the refresh to 60HZ and then finds it's changed so switches to 24 Hz.  When the switch happens playback resatarts so we go back to 29.xx Hz and reclock changes to 60Hz again... and around we go!

How do I use the Playback Info field to JUST set the refresh rate?  I know I can put
(1:1)(15:DisplaySettings)(15:1920x1080x32x24) in there, but not all my displays are 1920x1080.

Is there a way of just switching the refrest rate without changing the current resolution?

Or maybe a reclock guru can suggest how to stop the reclock loop??

Cheers

Richard

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2009, 12:53:32 am »

I don't have a solution but I wish I did! This causes me the same grief as you.

I think part of the problem is that the /MonitorSwitch command causes playback to start from the beginning of the video/DVD each time. Bookmarks are always completely ignored. If playback would just simply resume instead of restarting, I think everything would be ok. 
Z-Wave Home Automation

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2009, 01:59:42 am »

I don't have a solution but I wish I did! This causes me the same grief as you.

I think part of the problem is that the /MonitorSwitch command causes playback to start from the beginning of the video/DVD each time. Bookmarks are always completely ignored. If playback would just simply resume instead of restarting, I think everything would be ok. 

I tried editing the .vob file with VideoRedo to remove the first section of intro, but that made it worse in that reclock couldn/t detect the clock refresh rate.

I also tried setting a bookmark but you're right playback seems to to back to the beginning when a monitor switch is triggered.

Richard

MrHaugen

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2009, 04:43:06 am »

There is a small app that changes refresh rate (and resolution i think) based on the video played. Do not remember the name right now. I'll update the post later when I have found it.

*EDIT*
I think it's called Powerstrip. It'll change resolution and refresh rates fast. Possibly detecting the media it self.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2009, 07:16:17 am »

hmm, I just tried setting the playback info to (1:1)(15:DisplaySettings)(15:1920x1080x32x24) and MC didn't switch my display to 24Hz anyway!

I think the key to this issue is that every time the monitor refresh rate is changed, playback jumps back to the start of the file again.

Is there any way MC can be tweaked so that playback just continues on after a refresh cahnge?

Cheers
Richard

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2009, 08:17:39 pm »

Hi Gents,
My RunEvent.vbs code is below and I never have any problem with Reclock fighting with MC on this.  I DID have an issue with some Video Drivers that hate having their refresh rate changed in the middle of playback and I'm guessing that is what is what is happening with the playback restarting (the filter chain is broken and restarted I guess).  To combat this I ensured that I tagged all my files in MC to start with the correct refresh rate - but now I have a ATI4550 it seems to be tollerant to refresh rate changes.

I'll have a test of a DVD/relclock change the refresh rate and see if it breaks anything on systems and will report back.

Code: [Select]
' -------------------------------------
' Event notification script for ReClock
' -------------------------------------
'
' This script will be called when ReClock change the media adaptation of a played file
' either automatically or after some manual change made in the properties panel
' It is called only for media file which contain a video stream, and when frame rate of this file is known
'
' ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
' The 7 parameters received by this script are explained below:
'
' (1) contains the event name that just occurred:
'    - "GREEN"  : tray icon just got green (all is fine). Parameter
'    - "YELLOW" : tray icon just got yellow. We should make what is necessary
'                 to change the monitor refresh rate
'    - "STOP"   : playback just stopped
'    - "QUIT"   : ReClock is about to quit
'
' Parameters (2), (3), (8) and (9) apply only with "GREEN" and "YELLOW" events. Otherwise they contain "-"
'
' (2) contains the type of media file currently played :
'    - "CINEMA" : frame rate of source file is around 24 fps
'    - "PAL"    : frame rate of source file is around 25 fps
'    - "NTSC"   : frame rate of source file is around 30 fps
'    - "CUSTOM" : frame rate of source file does not fall in previous categories
'
' (3) contains the current sound playback mode (apply only with GREEN/YELLOW event):
'    - "PCM"    : PCM mode
'    - "SPDIF"  : AC3 passthrough SPDIF
'
' (4) contains the current monitor selected for playback (1=primary, 2=secondary, etc...)
'
' (5) contains the total monitor count detected in the system
'
' (6) contains the current resolution of your monitor (WIDTHxHEIGHT)
'
' (7) contains the current refresh rate of your monitor (in Hz)
'
' (8) contains the original playback rate of the file (in fps multiplied by 1000)
'
' (9) contains the current playback rate of the file (in fps multiplied by 1000)
'
' (10) contains the filename of the current media file
'
' ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
' Notifications examples:
'   - GREEN CINEMA PCM 1 1 1024x768 72 23976 24000 c:\test.avi : all is good
'   - GREEN NTSC PCM 1 1 1024x768 60 29970 30000  c:\test.avi : all is good
'   - YELLOW PAL SPDIF 1 1 1024x768 72 25000 25000 c:\test.avi : please switch to a multiple of 25 hz since PAL wants 25 fps
'   - YELLOW CINEMA SPDIF 1 1 1024x768 75 23976 23976 c:\test.avi : please switch to 71.928 hz
'
' Here is a sample in VbScript that will call Powerstrip to change the monitor refresh rate
' using the /T parameter (to obtain the timings parameters go to the timings setup in powerstrip and copy
' them to the clipboard)
' There is a VERY important thing to note. Powerstrip change the timings directly in the hardware, but
' forget to notify Windows applications it did that (including ReClock). So this script MUST exit with
' an exit code of 0 if it did change the configuration with powerstrip. Otherwise the script should
' return 1

' Decode the parameters
Set objArgs = WScript.Arguments
If objArgs.Count < 10 Then
    MsgBox "Bad argument count !",  MB_OK, "ReClock Event Notification"

' We have done nothing. Return 1 to indicate ReClock that
    ' the configuration has not changed
    WScript.Quit 1
End If

eventName = objArgs(0)
mediaType = objArgs(1)
soundMode = objArgs(2)
currentMonitor = objArgs(3)
totalMonitorCount = objArgs(4)
currentResolution = objArgs(5)
currentRefreshRate = objArgs(6)
originalPlaybackSpeed = objArgs(7)
currentPlaybackSpeed = objArgs(8)
currentMediaFile = objArgs(9)

' If you need to debug, replace false with true in the following line
if false Then MsgBox _
    eventName & " " & _
    mediaType & " " & _
    soundMode & " " & _
    currentMonitor & " " & _
    totalMonitorCount & " " & _
    currentResolution & " " & _
    currentRefreshRate & " " & _
    originalPlaybackSpeed & " " & _
    currentPlaybackSpeed, _
    MB_OK, "ReClock Event Notification"

' Here is a sample of what can be done with PowerStrip
Set wshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

' We will put new timings here if necessary
newRefreshRate = currentRefreshRate

' Obviously we have something to do only if the icon is yellow
'If eventName = "YELLOW" Then
'If currentRefreshRate <> originalPlaybackSpeed Then
        Select Case mediaType
            Case "CINEMA"
                newRefreshRate = "24"
                newWidth       = "1920"
                newHeight      = "1080"
            Case "PAL"
                newRefreshRate = "50"
                newWidth       = "1920"
                newHeight      = "1080"
            Case "NTSC"
                newRefreshRate = "60"
                newWidth       = "1920"
                newHeight      = "1080"
        End Select

'End If

' We quit the player, restore our favorite refresh rate and/or resolution
If eventName = "QUIT" Then

newRefreshRate = "50"
    newWidth       = "1920"
    newHeight      = "1080"

End If

' Do we have new timings to apply ?
If currentRefreshRate <> newRefreshRate Then

Set objShell = CreateObject("Shell.Application")
    Set objFolder = objShell.Namespace(&H26&)
    Set objFolderItem = objFolder.Self

' Now run DisplayChanger command and wait for it to finish its job
    WshShell.Run """" & objFolderItem.Path  & _
                 "\12noon Display Changer\dc.exe"" -refresh=" & newRefreshRate & _
                                         " -width="   & newWidth & _
                                         " -height="  & newHeight & _
                                         " -depth=max -quiet", 0, true

' In case we did a configuration change we MUST return 0 to
    ' indicate ReClock it need to recalibrate itself.
    WScript.Quit 0

End If

' We have done nothing. Return 1 to indicate ReClock that
' the configuration has not changed
WScript.Quit 1

JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2009, 08:40:19 pm »

As I've no NTSC DVD's I just did a test puting my PC on 60hz and stuffing in a PAL DVD - I did see a "closing DVD" message at one point and reclock changed the refresh rate to 50hz (with the screen doing it's ungainly resync) but it just played fine....the following are the filters that were used:
Filter Graph Info:

Filter 'Default DirectSound Device'
        CLSID: {79376820-07D0-11CF-A24D-0020AFD79767}
        Host: C:\Program Files\ReClock\ReClockDS.dll
        Input Pin 'In'
            Connected to pin 'Out' of filter 'ffdshow Audio Decoder'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Audio  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_PCM, Format type FORMAT_WaveFormatEx

Filter 'Enhanced Video Renderer'
        CLSID: {FA10746C-9B63-4B6C-BC49-FC300EA5F256}
        Host: C:\Windows\System32\evr.dll
        Input Pin 'EVR Input0'
            Connected to pin 'Video Output 1' of filter 'Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Video  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_NV12, Format type FORMAT_VideoInfo2
        Input Pin 'EVR Input1'
            Connected to pin 'XForm Out' of filter 'Line 21 Decoder 2'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Video  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_AYUV, Format type FORMAT_VideoInfo
        Input Pin 'EVR Input2'
            Connected to pin '~Subpicture Output' of filter 'Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Video  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_AYUV, Format type FORMAT_VideoInfo2

Filter 'Line 21 Decoder 2'
        CLSID: {E4206432-01A1-4BEE-B3E1-3702C8EDC574}
        Host: C:\Windows\system32\quartz.dll
        Input Pin 'XForm In'
            Connected to pin '~Line21 Output' of filter 'Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_AUXLine21Data  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_Line21_GOPPacket, Format type FORMAT_None
        Output Pin 'XForm Out'
            Connected to pin 'EVR Input1' of filter 'Enhanced Video Renderer'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Video  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_AYUV, Format type FORMAT_VideoInfo

Filter 'ffdshow Audio Decoder'
        CLSID: {0F40E1E5-4F79-4988-B1A9-CC98794E6B55}
        Host: C:\Program Files\Combined Community Codec Pack\Filters\FFDShow\ffdshow.ax
        Output Pin 'Out'
            Connected to pin 'In' of filter 'Default DirectSound Device'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Audio  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_PCM, Format type FORMAT_WaveFormatEx
        Input Pin 'In'
            Connected to pin 'AC3' of filter 'DVD Navigator'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_DVD_ENCRYPTED_PACK  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_DOLBY_AC3, Format type FORMAT_WaveFormatEx

Filter 'Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder'
        CLSID: {212690FB-83E5-4526-8FD7-74478B7939CD}
        Host: C:\Windows\System32\msmpeg2vdec.dll
        Input Pin 'Video Input'
            Connected to pin 'Video' of filter 'DVD Navigator'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_DVD_ENCRYPTED_PACK  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_MPEG2_VIDEO, Format type FORMAT_MPEG2_VIDEO
        Input Pin 'Subpicture Input'
            Connected to pin 'SubPicture' of filter 'DVD Navigator'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_DVD_ENCRYPTED_PACK  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_DVD_SUBPICTURE, Format type FORMAT_MPEG2_VIDEO
        Output Pin 'Video Output 1'
            Connected to pin 'EVR Input0' of filter 'Enhanced Video Renderer'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Video  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_NV12, Format type FORMAT_VideoInfo2
        Output Pin '~Line21 Output'
            Connected to pin 'XForm In' of filter 'Line 21 Decoder 2'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_AUXLine21Data  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_Line21_GOPPacket, Format type FORMAT_None
        Output Pin '~Subpicture Output'
            Connected to pin 'EVR Input2' of filter 'Enhanced Video Renderer'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Video  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_AYUV, Format type FORMAT_VideoInfo2

Filter 'DVD Navigator'
        CLSID: {9B8C4620-2C1A-11D0-8493-00A02438AD48}
        Host: C:\Windows\system32\qdvd.dll
        Output Pin 'Video'
            Connected to pin 'Video Input' of filter 'Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_DVD_ENCRYPTED_PACK  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_MPEG2_VIDEO, Format type FORMAT_MPEG2_VIDEO
        Output Pin 'AC3'
            Connected to pin 'In' of filter 'ffdshow Audio Decoder'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_DVD_ENCRYPTED_PACK  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_DOLBY_AC3, Format type FORMAT_WaveFormatEx
        Output Pin 'SubPicture'
            Connected to pin 'Subpicture Input' of filter 'Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_DVD_ENCRYPTED_PACK  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_DVD_SUBPICTURE, Format type FORMAT_MPEG2_VIDEO
JRiver CEO Elect

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2009, 08:58:00 pm »

Hey Nathan, the issue is specific to reclock triggering multiple refresh rate changes for the one DVD.

Example:

refresh rate set to 50hz to start (PAL, the default)
1. pop in a DVD, previews are 60hz (NTSC), so 1st refresh rate change occurs
2. playback starts again from the beginning.  After previews, feature film starts at 24hz (CINEMA) so 2nd refresh change occurs
3. playback starts again from the beginning (ie the previews) so reclock triggers a 60hz rate change AGAIN..
4. repeats from step 1 over and over and over....

Video driver / card model might have something to do with it but I'd be interested if you could test this scenario to see how MC handles the playback - ie, does it re-start from the begininng of the DVD after each refresh rate change?

Cheers.

[EDIT] I was thinking that I could add some logic into the script to limit the number of rate changes made in a given "playback session" but this sounds like a BIG hack to me..
Z-Wave Home Automation

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2009, 09:21:00 pm »

Exactly, well explained Ralf.

We might have to provide a demo file that does this....  I have an NTSC DVD of Chicken Run that does this that's ripped to to DVD files on my system, just not sure how to provide a small enough file that can be downloaded.

I tried to trim it with videoredo, but that seems to alter things as  it behaves differently after saving it (and it's not better!)

Richard

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2009, 09:45:47 pm »

OK - Give me some example DVD's with the problem and I'll see if I have it (or can rent it as almost all my discs are HD)
JRiver CEO Elect

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2009, 10:12:02 pm »

OK - Give me some example DVD's with the problem and I'll see if I have it (or can rent it as almost all my discs are HD)

If we can't find one, I'd be happy to post you something.... or come to think of it I can probably just throw it to you if I stand on my back deck and the wind is blowing from the north!

Richard

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2009, 11:12:36 pm »

Either way let me know some titles... ;D
JRiver CEO Elect

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2009, 11:48:36 pm »

Either way let me know some titles... ;D

I know the NTSC Region 1 version of Chicken Run does it, along with Baby Einsteins - Baby Beethoven, once again a region 1 NTSC disc.

Don't imagine you have either of these!

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2009, 12:02:09 am »

I know the NTSC Region 1 version of Chicken Run does it, along with Baby Einsteins - Baby Beethoven, once again a region 1 NTSC disc.

Don't imagine you have either of these!

Ahhhh sorry....I can not believe it myself!
JRiver CEO Elect

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2009, 03:47:59 pm »

Ahhhh sorry....I can not believe it myself!

I am surprised :)

So PM me if you'd like me to drop a DVD into your letterbox during the week....

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2009, 07:38:47 pm »

I'm happy to report it just works fine on my setup - so Im still thinking it is to do with the setup of the Filters/Drivers...
1) MC's in 50hz
2) Insert DVD and Reclock changes to 60hz
3) Select Play from Main Menue - changes to 24hz
4) Select Main Menu (or additional content) - changes to 60hz
5) STOP and back to MC - changes to 50hz

Each time the refresh rate changes the screen does it re-sync but the content just keeps playing (eg the filter chain stays intact and does not reset).  I did a couple of quick changes to the Video Filter and both MS and GABFEST worked fine.  Here is the STD MS Filter chain I was using (post yours and we will see what is different)

Thanks
Nathan

Code: [Select]
Filter Graph Info:

Filter 'Default DirectSound Device'
        CLSID: {79376820-07D0-11CF-A24D-0020AFD79767}
        Host: C:\Program Files\ReClock\ReClockDS.dll
        Input Pin 'In'
            Connected to pin 'Out' of filter 'ffdshow Audio Decoder'

Filter 'Enhanced Video Renderer'
        CLSID: {FA10746C-9B63-4B6C-BC49-FC300EA5F256}
        Host: C:\Windows\System32\evr.dll
        Input Pin 'EVR Input0'
            Connected to pin 'Video Output 1' of filter 'Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder'
        Input Pin 'EVR Input1'
            Connected to pin 'XForm Out' of filter 'Line 21 Decoder 2'
        Input Pin 'EVR Input2'
            Connected to pin '~Subpicture Output' of filter 'Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder'

Filter 'Line 21 Decoder 2'
        CLSID: {E4206432-01A1-4BEE-B3E1-3702C8EDC574}
        Host: C:\Windows\system32\quartz.dll
        Input Pin 'XForm In'
            Connected to pin '~Line21 Output' of filter 'Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder'
        Output Pin 'XForm Out'
            Connected to pin 'EVR Input1' of filter 'Enhanced Video Renderer'

Filter 'ffdshow Audio Decoder'
        CLSID: {0F40E1E5-4F79-4988-B1A9-CC98794E6B55}
        Host: C:\Program Files\Combined Community Codec Pack\Filters\FFDShow\ffdshow.ax
        Output Pin 'Out'
            Connected to pin 'In' of filter 'Default DirectSound Device'
        Input Pin 'In'
            Connected to pin 'AC3' of filter 'DVD Navigator'

Filter 'Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder'
        CLSID: {212690FB-83E5-4526-8FD7-74478B7939CD}
        Host: C:\Windows\System32\msmpeg2vdec.dll
        Input Pin 'Video Input'
            Connected to pin 'Video' of filter 'DVD Navigator'
        Input Pin 'Subpicture Input'
            Connected to pin 'SubPicture' of filter 'DVD Navigator'
        Output Pin 'Video Output 1'
            Connected to pin 'EVR Input0' of filter 'Enhanced Video Renderer'
        Output Pin '~Line21 Output'
            Connected to pin 'XForm In' of filter 'Line 21 Decoder 2'
        Output Pin '~Subpicture Output'
            Connected to pin 'EVR Input2' of filter 'Enhanced Video Renderer'

Filter 'DVD Navigator'
        CLSID: {9B8C4620-2C1A-11D0-8493-00A02438AD48}
        Host: C:\Windows\system32\qdvd.dll
        Output Pin 'Video'
            Connected to pin 'Video Input' of filter 'Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder'
        Output Pin 'AC3'
            Connected to pin 'In' of filter 'ffdshow Audio Decoder'
        Output Pin 'SubPicture'
            Connected to pin 'Subpicture Input' of filter 'Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder'
JRiver CEO Elect

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2009, 11:13:03 pm »

Hi Nathan, do you still have your old XP setup that you could test as well? I think the fact you're using Win 7, EVR and MS video codecs could have everything to do with it.

Thanks for your help.
Z-Wave Home Automation

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2009, 11:39:37 pm »

I remember XP...years ago I think...very "nice".  Seriously, I've not had XP in the place since Vista came out (and they are now all Win7).  I'm guessing it is more likly to be the changes made in the Video / Audio Driver Model more than the filters (most seem to work).  I had all sorts of problems in XP when switching frequency....the filters would crash on my rig as it lost the Audio Optut pin transmitting over HDMI (but was fine over SPDIF) resulting in MC hanging.  At least you get to start again...again...again.  Happy to try any combo you need on the Win7 box...
JRiver CEO Elect

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2009, 11:41:02 pm »

I'm happy to report it just works fine on my setup - so Im still thinking it is to do with the setup of the Filters/Drivers...

Bother!

So when playback of the main movie starts you get the blue dreamworks bit first at 60Hz and then it switches to 24Hz when the actual movie starts?

Ralf might be right, maybe it's an XP thing but could be filters as well,  I'll have to change a few and see, but I know picture quality will suffer if I move away from my current config (Cyberlink and VMR7).

Richard

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2009, 12:25:16 am »

So when playback of the main movie starts you get the blue dreamworks bit first at 60Hz and then it switches to 24Hz when the actual movie starts?
Correct.

Ralf might be right, maybe it's an XP thing but could be filters as well,  I'll have to change a few and see, but I know picture quality will suffer if I move away from my current config (Cyberlink and VMR7).

While I don't think your filters matter that much to this issue (it worked with FFDSHOW, GABEST, MS Video Filters), I'm happy to try other filters if you want me to test (eg Video Renderer).....

I think you will find it is the changes to the Driver model post XP....and anyway, I think the picture quality is better moving off XP....
JRiver CEO Elect

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2009, 01:30:18 am »

Correct.

While I don't think your filters matter that much to this issue (it worked with FFDSHOW, GABEST, MS Video Filters), I'm happy to try other filters if you want me to test (eg Video Renderer).....

I think you will find it is the changes to the Driver model post XP....and anyway, I think the picture quality is better moving off XP....

Well I might have to start thinking about Win7 then....

Does webscheduler/TV scheduler pro and the epg scripts we use  work on Win7 ok?

R

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2009, 02:05:18 am »

I think..  ;D ..the stuff you gave me runs, populates the EPG and I can tune, record, TS channels (I've not access to a real antenna where I am so I only get some channels).
JRiver CEO Elect
Pages: [1]   Go Up