INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: APE - MP3 Library Management  (Read 1957 times)

osteon.618

APE - MP3 Library Management
« on: November 24, 2008, 09:33:31 pm »

I must be an idiot but I really can't find the process of what I think is a simple task. I have hesitated asking this question for a long time but I give up.

I ripped ~ 400 CDs to a detailed APE library in 2002. I forget what version we were on then. Now I have succumbed to the pressure of the ipod and other DLNA products. My goal is to have a mirror image library consisting of MP3s that is easily synced. I have searched the forums and read the WIKI on various techniques to "trick" MC 12 to do this but appears quite cumbersome. The Wiki makes reference to doing this task but doesn't go into enough detail. I understand the that the library server function will do this but right now I want to keep both libraries on a single PC with a RAID 1 array which is shared on the workgroup. I note that when adding a new library and importing files there is no option to convert all files.

Before anyone answers (and i hope someone does) let me say this.....
I am amenable to upgrading to MC 13 if that would help.
I only have MC 12 on this computer but can install it on another if I have to but it already has iTunes 8 installed.
I am currently researching NAS and eventually would like to keep the MP3 library on the NAS. Maybe I should just build a server.
I have an HTPC that is defunct and is sorely in need of a upgrade and resurrection.
My APE library is organized by folders: Genre/Artist/album-year/Disc #-song title but this is not necessary with the MP3s if properly tagged

Please point me the right direction.

Scott

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: APE - MP3 Library Management
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 09:55:44 pm »

Media Center 12 added the concept of "stacks" -- multiple related files that can show as one file in the program and keep their tag information in step.

You can let the handheld engine convert and stack files for you on sync.  In handheld options, there's also a build stacks / conversion cache function.

Some other areas of the program can also use a stacked MP3 when it's available along-side an APE.

Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up