INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem saving views  (Read 2113 times)

MarkDee

Problem saving views
« on: December 05, 2008, 06:46:49 am »

Long time Media Center user - although I've been on hiatus thanks to complete network rebuild recently.
All machines now VistaUltimate64.

Meantime, switched to dbPowerAmp for ripping (like the multisourced meta data/review function and write verification feature)

Have 1000's of CD - have previously ripped to MP3 and Wav formats with MC8, MC9, MC10, MC11...

With storage no issue - waves made sense... main playback is through SlimDevice Squeezeboxes hooked to home theatre and other stereo sound systems...

Lost a few libraries (ouch!) due to my own fault but still made me leery of non-tagged formats - wanted something bullet proof (easily decodable file names in worst case - full set of populated tags in best case).  Have settled on FLAC for what I hope is the "last go round."  I've found it faster to simply rip everything again in dbPowerAmp to create the consistent and high quality data set I'm after.  This has been going well for the last few days.

In a fit of weakness, I began playing with another program as a player & tag editor (MMonkey).  This brought me to my senses quickly and I downloaded the MC12 product which I now appreciate more than ever !

HERE'S THE PROBLEM:  I cannot "uncheck" the Auto-name box when adjusting views so any change I make is permanent regardless of Layout.  (I create a Genre/Artist/Album scheme - obviously the panes would reflect that organization. Try to save everything.  Create a Album Artist/Album scheme and reorganize the view -- now that's the only view available for my Genre/Artist/Album scheme!)

The "name" field and the "Auto-name" check box are literally disabled.  Any ideas ?

- This is on the trial download (still looking for my original licenses to check for upgrade pricing...)
- runnning on VistaUltimate64
- All imported music FLAC format

/Thanks
/MarkDee

PS - I've searched the forum extensively on this topic and came up with nothing.  If there's something out there already that addresses my issue, I'd appreciate some direction to it...  Thanks !

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Problem saving views
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 07:07:55 am »

Good story.  Thanks for sharing.

Odd problem.  It's not the trial mode or the FLAC files.

Are you running as a client with another machine running Library Server?  Or anything else unusual?

If you're still running in trial mode, give MC13 a try.  It's on the MC13 board here, in a thread near the top.

MarkDee

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 07:32:25 am »

Odd problem.  Not the trial mode.  Not the FLAC files.

Are you running as a client with another machine running Library Server?  Or anything else unusual?

Thanks for the response (anyone else?)...

Not running as client - simply standalone installation on my main workstation.

I'll give MC13 a try later today and report back...

/ Mark

MarkDee

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 05:11:36 pm »

Well, no doubt that MC13 saves the various views but the interface (in my opinion) has taken a huge step backward in the mechanics of loading previously saved views.  What was previously a right click menu path is now a separate dialog box with (again, just my opinion) graphical overkill to what was once a simple and elegant interface.  I'll have to play for a while in this sand box to make a decision -- incidentally hate the forced google, wiki, youtube, etc icons and the "tabbed" look across the top.  What were we attempting to fix with these "improvements?"

Just wondering...

/ Mark

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 05:35:15 pm »

Well, no doubt that MC13 saves the various views but the interface (in my opinion) has taken a huge step backward in the mechanics of loading previously saved views.  What was previously a right click menu path is now a separate dialog box with (again, just my opinion) graphical overkill to what was once a simple and elegant interface.  I'll have to play for a while in this sand box to make a decision -- incidentally hate the forced google, wiki, youtube, etc icons and the "tabbed" look across the top.  What were we attempting to fix with these "improvements?"

Just wondering...

/ Mark

The google/wiki stuff can be removed by right click, customize, delete.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 05:42:21 pm »

But you might want to give it a try first.  The images link can get cover art for you.  Select an audio file first.

Wikipedia is already an amazing source of biographical information on artists.

MarkDee

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2008, 06:48:25 am »

Mr ChriZ / JimH

Thanks to you both for prompt replies -- removal was easy.
I've searched the help extensively -- how can I reinstall those links or others ?

/ thanks for the help

POST SCRIPT:  OK - Found the rather obvious menu item :  Tools/Links/Manage Links

SUGGESTION for MC13 Team:  Search on LINKS in Help system contains no reference to this menu item...  might be a worthwhile addition.

/ Thanks again
/ I'll consider this thread "closed" and post further MC13 observations in the proper location !

kwazzie

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2008, 08:11:44 am »

Hello...

Can a view be created where when you click on album art in one panel the list of songs will appear in another and you can then drag and drop in a playlist ?

Thanks
Kelly

P.S.  New user from MM trying to find a home.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2008, 08:19:51 am »

Welcome to the forum.  We like old MusicMatch users.

You can use "customize view" to build a view that has thumbnails above and details below.  When you click on the art above, you will see tracks below.

To build playlists, you can open the playlist in the Action Window (lower left), then drag anything you want to it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up