INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recent (and 1st ever) issues with MC12  (Read 2143 times)

johnno001

• Recent member
Recent (and 1st ever) issues with MC12
« on: December 15, 2008, 05:14:42 am »

Hi all, Hope someone can give some assistance on my recent issues, have to add that this is the first time ever that I have had any major issues with this excellent media software.

The story: -

on Thursday last week I decided to enable my MC12 solution to remote play as I have a couple of PC's around the home, I have some 2000 cd's loaded into my media centre and wanted to be able to listen on any pc

when I switched on the remote play in the starup menue and all kinds of things seemed to go wrong (dont know if there were linked to this or not)
I had a screen which said that my data file was corrupted and that it would have to rescan for all media
I had a license screen appear telling me that I had to register or load a code from previous registration for the internet
I then could only use the product for 28 days!
After letting MC12 scan for media after a restart it then told me that it could not use the database file as it was in use by another program??

Anyone have any clues??

I expect my best option is to now remove MC12 completely and start again (I dont think this would be a major issue but some of my various artist cd's took quite some organising in the library and I would rather not go through this again)

Observations/comments -

on the subject of the license, when I purchased (which is coming up to a year in January 09) I believed that the license was a one off payment, I have not seen any messages, notices or warnings telling me that I have to renew. Can someone confirm that this is the case.

Database issue - I have no idea what could have happened here and as to whether the database has been corrupted in some way, does anybody think I could reinstate the original database when I have sorted the issues and do you know where it might be stored

A final point, I notice version 13 is avialable, when and if I do need to reload the entire s/w platform is this the version to go for?

Apologies for a really long start to a thread.

I have emailed jriver.com and mclist about this issue but no reply as yet so if anyone can shed some light it would be very useful.

Thanks

David Johnson
UK

gappie

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Recent (and 1st ever) issues with MC12
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 05:31:50 am »

welcume to the forum.  :)

its seems like there are some questions in your posts. let me start with answering one i know... 8)

on the subject of the license, when I purchased (which is coming up to a year in January 09) I believed that the license was a one off payment, I have not seen any messages, notices or warnings telling me that I have to renew. Can someone confirm that this is the case.
indeed. the licence is a one pay. the key is just not working anymore. there is a page where you can get a new key. here is how the wiki explains it.
http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/Purchase_and_License_Recovery#Restore_from_a_Registration_Code

:)
gab

gappie

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 05:37:18 am »

on:
Database issue - I have no idea what could have happened here and as to whether the database has been corrupted in some way, does anybody think I could reinstate the original database when I have sorted the issues and do you know where it might be stored

i don know also if the database got corrupted.. but it might be good to know that mc makes backup regularly. you can find them under file>library>restore library....
you could first save the 'corrupt' one you use now via the backup library.

johnno001

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 06:55:30 am »

Thanks very much, excellent info, will try both later after work.

I notice in your avitar "MC13 Beta Team", once I sort my current issues would you recommend the purchase the upgrade to 13?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 06:56:45 am »

Support is only here on the forum, so the e-mail won't be answered.

You may have a disk corruption problem.  You could try the Windows tools for checking it.

A corrupt registry might also explain this problem.

Remote server is just a web server and couldn't cause that issue.

Good luck with the problems.

johnno001

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 07:00:13 am »

Hi again gappie, I forgot to mention previously I did try to restore my authorisation key and as my email address has changed I was using the "change email" section however it said that it did not recognise my old email address and thud came to an end, this is what I emailed you for some support on

This forum is probably not the correct method of swapping email adresses for the authorisation code but if you or anybody else can help me please reply to my new current email

david.gj@tiscali.co.uk

Thanks again

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2008, 07:02:33 am »

on:
i don know also if the database got corrupted.. but it might be good to know that mc makes backup regularly. you can find them under file>library>restore library....
you could first save the 'corrupt' one you use now via the backup library.
That's a good idea to restore the data, but it wouldn't explain the license problem, so there must be more going on.

A virus is another possibility.

johnno001

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2008, 07:03:14 am »

Thanks Jim H - our posts crossed there

I will try the suggested options later - a disk check may be in order too, if no luck again I wil let you know.

johnno001

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2008, 07:09:27 am »

Crossed again..... perhaps we should be in live chat or something ...lol

Virus is unlikely as I have excellent cover in the McAfee 360 suite - will check things later

I know I have the original print out of my key but I have misslaid it - I will also make and asserted effort to locate it.

Thanks again for your support.

gappie

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2008, 07:10:04 am »

Thanks very much, excellent info, will try both later after work.

I notice in your avitar "MC13 Beta Team", once I sort my current issues would you recommend the purchase the upgrade to 13?
well... in my opinion.. the last version of mc12 is rock solid in my experience. mc 13 is working very nicely, but is still beta, and not as solid as 12. but 13 has a some really nice new things going on. so i would suggest to just try it out when you got everything up again.
im still on 12 though on my main media system. im an heavy Theater View user and altough imo Theater View is really getting interesting now, i still can get more from Theater View in mc12..

Hi again gappie, I forgot to mention previously I did try to restore my authorisation key and as my email address has changed I was using the "change email" section however it said that it did not recognise my old email address and thud came to an end, this is what I emailed you for some support on
good thing you did not send it to me..... im just an ordinairy user. hope jim can sort it out..

:)
gab
Pages: [1]   Go Up