INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How can I save the expression I created to rename files?  (Read 1680 times)

lise

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
How can I save the expression I created to rename files?
« on: December 15, 2008, 01:30:03 pm »

I finally figured out an expression to automatically create a Album directory if the album is a compilation, and an Artist directory if the album is a single-artist album, which I use in the "Rename, move and copy Files" Directories rules.

But I can't for the life of me figure out how to save this expression so that I could always use it. It doesn't show up under "Recent", or anywhere else. Do I really have to recreate the expression (by pasting from somewhere else) with each use?
A wise man once said don't count your years, but make your years count. Or was it beers?

lise

• MC Beta Team
Re: How can I save the expression I created to rename files?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 01:39:01 pm »

Ah, never mind.  I had never actually used the expression. I kept looking at the preview of the file name and directory to ensure it was good, and I knew I had what I wanted when that preview said "no change". And because it said "no change" I didn't actually go ahead and rename, which of course I had to do in order for the expression to show up under "recent".

I would still like to be able to save the expression with a name, though. Don't know if that's possible.
A wise man once said don't count your years, but make your years count. Or was it beers?

gappie

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 01:56:02 pm »

I would still like to be able to save the expression with a name, though. Don't know if that's possible.
i actually thought the same today... but then with the settings for the thing you are doing. when rename it should rename using the expression as you saved it, when it should copy, it should copy with the expression as you saved with it.

sometimes i rename files, sometimes i copy files, but want them to stay out of my database. and the way copy, rename etc works now it went wrong to often. have some smartlists now to check if i forgot to change the dropdown to copy one time..

:)
gab

darichman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 04:37:19 am »

Still, an "Expression" save/load/default function would be nice.

This way we could name and save the expression and not have to take a lucky guess by examining (sometimes very long) expression language before we pick the right one from the 'recent' list.
Pages: [1]   Go Up