INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: No warning when moving a sub-folder to a folder where it already exists  (Read 2142 times)

negopus

• Galactic Citizen
  • Negopus: negotium, otium et opus

I am reorganizing my audio library. I am using Media Center 12.

When moving a sub-folder into a folder where the sub-folder already exists, MC12 gives no warning, and creates a “Copy of” the sub-folder. The library does not get updated, and the “Filename” field points to the old folder. A red cross appears as a thumbnail for each file in the folder, indicating that the file was not found.

For example, if I move the "Artist" folder from D:\New to D:\Audio, and the folder D:\Audio\Artist already exists, the folder D:\Audio\Copy of Artist is created, all the files are moved to that folder. The library entries still point to D:\New\Artist, that no longer exists. So a red cross appears as a thumbnail for each file.

Now I stopped reorganizing my library because I am afraid I am going to loose all the additional information in the library.

How can I change this behaviour? ? I would like MC to warn me when such a situation happens, to merge the content of the old and the new folder and to correctly update the “Filename” field in the library.

negopus

• Galactic Citizen
Re: No warning when moving a sub-folder to a folder where it already exists
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 05:27:14 am »

I tried "Find and Replace" in the "Filename (path)" field of the library to update the path to the new position. But I noticed the in the library all the media files in the "Artist", say "track.mp3" are renamed to "track (1).mp3". I cannot "Find and Replace" in the "Filename (name)" field the " (1)" string with a null string. Nothing happens when I try this operation. So I cannot fix my library even manually using "Find and Replace".

malcolmm

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Wad Up! I'm a simple man :)
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 05:59:29 am »

Please clarify...

Are you talking about moving and copying from Windows File Explorer aka your hard drive

or are you saying you are using Media Center as your interface

?

Cheers, Mal from Cessnock (Au)
Cheers, Malcolm

negopus

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 06:37:23 am »

I am using Media Center as my interface, because I want to keep the library in sync with every folder I move.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 07:01:21 am »

I cannot "Find and Replace" in the "Filename (name)" field the " (1)" string ...
You may have to use a / before the ( characters since are "special".

Please see the "Notes" section at the bottom of this page:
http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/Media_Center_expression_language

negopus

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2009, 03:44:33 am »

I noticed that after i quit and restarted MC the "orphan" files disappeared from the library. By "orphan" I mean those files initially in "D:\New\Artist\track.mp3" that I physically moved to "D:\Audio\Artist\track.mp3" (where the "D:\Audio\Artist" folder already exists) but in the media library were renamed to "D:\New\Artist\track (1).mp3".

Now I completely lost the information about the folder I moved.

Is there any way to disable this automatic removal of "orphan" files from the library?
Pages: [1]   Go Up