INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: finding duplicates within a playlist  (Read 2208 times)

TheDuke

• World Citizen
finding duplicates within a playlist
« on: January 10, 2009, 07:30:22 pm »

Is it possible to easily find any duplicate song titles within a playlist. Like iTunes does.
Cheers

TheDuke

• World Citizen
Re: finding duplicates within a playlist
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 07:32:10 pm »

bump

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 12:56:35 am »

I've no idea what iTunes does...

When you find them, what do you want to do with them?

You can right click on a playlist in the tree and click on the "remove duplicates" option to have one of any duplicate entry removed.

You could create a search using the wizard specifying the playlist you want to check for duplicates and what you want to find duplicates of, such as [artist] or [artist],[name]

If none of that helps, could you be a little more specific in your question, so it might be possible to offer a more direct answer.

regards,
-marko.

TheDuke

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 06:09:31 am »

Thanks for the reply.
As many people do, I often have the same track on different albums.
This is fine for my main library, but I have set up specific playlists for my ipod. I would like to be able to check for any song that occurs twice in the ipod playlists in order to save space.
I have found the remove duplicates option now (not available for smartlists), but that does not seem to work for songs that are the same, but on different albums.
I haven't used it in awhile, but I seem to remember itunes having a button that would select all tunes in a playlist with the same name and you could then decide what you wanted to do with them.
Hope this makes some sort of sense.
Cheers

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 07:10:49 am »

Like marko said, the Remove Duplicates command removes items that exist more than once in a playlist or in Playing Now. This means the individual files. It does not check for similarity in the file tags.

You can create smartlist modifiers that do not allow duplicates if you use smartlists for syncing. "Remove duplicates of" [Artist] and [Name] should work quite well.

You can also create a smartlist that is based on the selected playlists and smartlists (you can select lists in the "rules > playlists" section in the wizard) and add the "Remove duplicates of" modifier.

If you want to just quickly see the possible duplicates, but not store the modifier, you can use the "Duplicates of" modifier when creating a search in the Search box.

Edit: edited a bit...
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up