INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Accessing Internet Radio  (Read 3558 times)

gt93grad

• World Citizen
Accessing Internet Radio
« on: January 11, 2009, 12:19:05 pm »

Where and how do I set up links to internet radio stations?  For example, I want to be able to play http://www.96rock.com/main.html through the software.

imugli

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Accessing Internet Radio
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 03:27:31 pm »

You need to find out the actual stream addres, then

File > Open URL

Then save whatever is imported to your playing now to a Playlist so you have it there in future.

gt93grad

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 04:45:00 pm »

OK, thanks, that's a start.  It opens a browser, but I really want it to stay "in" Media Player and just play the stream.  Can that be done?  I don't want it to open a new browser.  Please provide a little more detail on how to add it to the playlist.  That part's not clear.  Thanks.

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 07:09:11 pm »

That generally means you are not opening the stream url, but a standard URL instead.

The stream URL will generall end in .asx (windows media) or .ram (Real Audio media).

gt93grad

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 11:17:18 pm »

You're probably right.  This is what I'm opening:  http://www.96rock.com/cc-common/ondemand/player2.html?world=st

Is that not right?  If so, do you know how to access the correct URL?  If I can one right, then maybe I can get them all...

Thanks.

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 04:07:00 am »

This is how I do it...

* Using Firefox, download and install FlashGot and Embedded Objects (You'll need both as neither seem to work all the time)
* Click on the 'Listen Now' link on 96Rock.com. It will open a new window.
* On the bottom bar of that window, you should see a little disk icon (You may need to wait for any ads to finish running) and a little green arrow. If you click on them, one should show you a .asx file. 
* Right click on the correct icon and select the .asx file - it will download it to your default download location for that addon.
* Double click on the file from your Downloads window and MC will open it and start streaming.
* Create a new Playlist (call it Project 9-6-1 for argument's sake).
* Go to your Playing Now view - you should see at least one file in the list.
* Drag that file to your new Project 9-6-1 Playlist.

And your done. You can now access that station in via the Playlists menu in Standard View and Theater View. You should be able to delete the .asx file - your new playlist is pretty much the same thing.

It sounds complicated but you're right - once you've done once it's quick and easy.

Hope this helps  ;)

gt93grad

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 11:28:55 am »

Same rules for IE?  I'm not wanting to get involved in installing Firefox at this point.

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 03:11:51 pm »

Flashgot and Embedded Objects are Firefox plugins so you'll have to look around to see if there are similar for IE.

Any particular reason you don't want to install FF?

Perhaps someone here can do what I've explained for you and get the stream URL.

EDIT: Just to clarify, I can't do this for Project 9-6-1 as it block int'l IP addresses.

gt93grad

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2009, 05:52:53 pm »

Anyone?  Anyone?

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2009, 06:24:47 pm »

If you wanna list some others you want, do so and I'll list the stream address if I can get it.

gt93grad

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2009, 07:15:38 pm »

Well, there's too many to list, and I haven't researched the ones I want yet.  But pass along the one for 96Rock if you would.

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2009, 07:59:03 pm »

Well, there's too many to list, and I haven't researched the ones I want yet.  But pass along the one for 96Rock if you would.

How many radio stations do you know of? ?

See my edit above - 96Rock block international IP addreses from accessing the stream. Unfortunately, I'm in the land of Oz so that's me.

gt93grad

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2009, 11:14:08 pm »

Oh, sorry I missed your edit.  I'll list some other local ones soon.  I'm thinking I want more because I'll probably add international (wife speaks French) and other domestic stations as well.

Pjotr

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2009, 11:43:26 am »

gt93grad

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2009, 03:56:37 pm »

thanks pjotr.  That's cool.  Now how do I get the URL so I can access it from MC?

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2009, 06:30:54 pm »

Again, is there any particular reason you're so averse to installing Firefox? It's widely recognised as being a better browser than IE...

gt93grad

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2009, 11:35:08 pm »

I just want to have as little software as necessary on this machine.  More software always means more conflicts.  Plus, my wife knows IE and I don't want to confuse things...  I don't get why I can't access a simple URL in IE... :'(

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2009, 12:23:21 am »

You and I both...

Back in the day the Listen Now button sites was a direct link to the stream and just opened up in windows media player. That was until online advertising took off and people realised they could embed the stream URL amongst a whole lot of advertising and eye candy designed to make them money.

gt93grad

• World Citizen
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2009, 09:03:04 am »

That said, I sure would like to get one URL for ANY station just so I can test the function.  OK, maybe two stations...

Pjotr

• World Citizen
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2009, 11:46:33 am »

thanks pjotr.  That's cool.  Now how do I get the URL so I can access it from MC?

Simply press the “play” button at the listed radio stream (at the vTuner web site). Provided you have set the file associations in MC and have the appropriate codecs, it plays directly in MC then.

Only RealAudio streams are problematic, but luckily these become rare nowadays.

gt93grad

• World Citizen
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2009, 11:24:10 pm »

Hey, tried pressing play and it opened MC just fine.  But then it gave the message "Interface plug-in 'MusicLobby server' could not be found or created".  Do I need to install something else?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2009, 07:20:27 am »

Hey, tried pressing play and it opened MC just fine.  But then it gave the message "Interface plug-in 'MusicLobby server' could not be found or created".  Do I need to install something else?
That's not ours.  That's a plug-in from Cinemaronline.  You may be running something else that requires it.

Go to MC's plug-in manager and check what you have installed under interface plug-ins.

gt93grad

• World Citizen
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2009, 11:49:00 am »

I have last.fm, Librar server, Music lobby server, tivo server, and upnp server.  I just installed what was required, as I understood it.  I installed ML server, MC 13, and maybe MusicLobby (is that separate?).  What should I do?

gt93grad

• World Citizen
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2009, 11:54:53 am »

Trying again, but now, when I click play on one of the links provided by pjotr, it opens MC and does nothing else.

Pjotr

• World Citizen
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2009, 01:55:43 pm »

Most links return a play list (or something like that). Did you also set the play list associations in MC?

Most links work here, but some do indeed nothing and some even crashes MC  :o

I have put the vTuner web site under web media in MC, so I can open it from within MC

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2009, 02:13:12 pm »

I have last.fm, Librar server, Music lobby server, tivo server, and upnp server.  I just installed what was required, as I understood it.  I installed ML server, MC 13, and maybe MusicLobby (is that separate?).  What should I do?
For MusicLobby support, please try the Cinemaronline forum.  You need to make sure you have compatible versions of MusicLobby and MC.

gt93grad

• World Citizen
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2009, 07:55:13 pm »

Any idea why I can't get ANY stations in Georgia?  I can get them in France and Norway, but not Georgia, where I live. ?
Pages: [1]   Go Up