INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Where are dvd screen grabs going?  (Read 2292 times)

tcman41

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Sound Surfing!
Where are dvd screen grabs going?
« on: January 15, 2009, 11:53:38 pm »

Ok, i am playing a dvd in mc13, i right click on the screen, pick dvd options and then screen grab to file.

Where are the screen grab files going and in what format are they?

thanx

TC

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: Where are dvd screen grabs going?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 09:49:20 am »

The jpg files go to "Application Data\J River\Media Center 13\Data\ScreenGrab\" folder, unless you directed them somewhere else.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

tcman41

• Sound Surfing!
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 10:09:06 am »

The jpg files go to "Application Data\J River\Media Center 13\Data\ScreenGrab\" folder, unless you directed them somewhere else.

Is this application data under documents & settings\administrator?, anyway i have looked in every location on my computer where there is a application data\j river folder and in none of these i am seeing a data folder.

In addition i see no where in MC13 to direct where the screenshots should go. I have noticed that right underneath the option the properties box is greyed out, meaning i have no way to specify where the grabs should go or apparently even the ability to make them, wonder whats going on?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx
TC

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 11:56:59 am »

It should be under Application Data folder of the current user. If you computer OS is Vista, the folder names maybe somewhat different.

Sorry, I mis-spoke on directing the files to another folder.  For "Use screen grab for thumbnail", the folder is always in the AppData.  You can choose a different folder only if you do "Screen Grab to file".

tcman41

• Sound Surfing!
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 12:22:10 pm »

It should be under Application Data folder of the current user. If you computer OS is Vista, the folder names maybe somewhat different.

Sorry, I mis-spoke on directing the files to another folder.  For "Use screen grab for thumbnail", the folder is always in the AppData.  You can choose a different folder only if you do "Screen Grab to file".

thanx, but in my previous post i stated that the properties button to redirect to where i can send the screenshot files is greyed out, it wont let me specific an alternative directory or even seems like let me take screen shots...

rick.ca

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 06:37:18 pm »

I'm not sure how this feature is intended to work, but what "Screen Grab to file" is doing (build 132) doesn't make sense to me. It invokes a standard "Save as" dialog in which a filename must be entered. But it doesn't matter what is entered, the image is always saved with the video filename. Subsequent screen shot images overwrite the previously saved image.

What I expect from a screen shot function is the ability to instantly and unobtrusively get as many shots as I wish—without interfering with the viewing of the video. That means it's invoked by a keyboard shortcut or remote key press, and the images are saved in some logical (preferably configurable) location. The image filenames would be automatically incremented, or perhaps named with its time-location in the video.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 06:39:38 pm »

I'm not sure how this feature is intended to work, but what "Screen Grab to file" is doing (build 132) doesn't make sense to me. It invokes a standard "Save as" dialog in which a filename must be entered. But it doesn't matter what is entered, the image is always saved with the video filename. Subsequent screen shot images overwrite the previously saved image.

What I expect from a screen shot function is the ability to instantly and unobtrusively get as many shots as I wish—without interfering with the viewing of the video. That means it's invoked by a keyboard shortcut or remote key press, and the images are saved in some logical (preferably configurable) location. The image filenames would be automatically incremented, or perhaps named with its time-location in the video.

This is fixed in an upcoming build.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2009, 07:04:47 pm »

Also bear in mind that if your video renderer doesn't allow screengrabs, your screengrab to file action will just be ignored by MC13. This isn't disasterous, as you're expecting a save box and can tell something's amiss if it didn't appear. It is dangerous if you're doing screengrab to thumbnail for many video files in a row without checking that they're being made, though; you may find that the last 20 screengrabs you thought you made, just didn't get saved. I think MC should alert the user that the screengrab procedure won't work with the chosen renderer. I use Haali for playback, but have to switch to WVR9 for screenshots.
Pages: [1]   Go Up