INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Suddenly I have distortion in playback  (Read 2001 times)

msgelter

Suddenly I have distortion in playback
« on: January 18, 2009, 03:55:31 am »

I haven't been able to find out anything about this by searching here, so I hope I'm not repeating an earlier problem.

I have had MC12 installed on my home machine (XPHome SP3) for a couple of years now, everything running fine, no trouble. A few days ago when I went to play some mp3 files (ones that I have played hundreds of times before) I get loud, screeching, horribly distorted playback. It's not the files; they will play just fine in any other player. Also, the audio track for VIDEO playback is fine. I tried a reinstall, same problem. Upgrading to MC13 gave me clean playback, but quite frankly I HATE the new "tabbed" listings. I uninstalled MC 13, completely wiped all traces of MC12 that might have been lingering, and reinstalled MC12 from scratch. I know it was a "virgin" install because I had to re-establish a library and the settings were all at default.

Same thing. Horrible distortion on playback. Any ideas?

gappie

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Suddenly I have distortion in playback
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 05:04:03 am »

have you tried to switch between wave out and direct sound under tools>options>playback>output mode?

welcume to the forum.

:)
gab

msgelter

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 07:16:47 am »

Thanks! That did it. The big question now is: how did it get switched? (I'm the only one here.) And why was it that way when I did a "virgin install"?

Oh well . . .

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 07:38:17 am »

Bad driver?

gappie

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 08:06:57 am »

Thanks! That did it. The big question now is: how did it get switched? (I'm the only one here.) And why was it that way when I did a "virgin install"?

Oh well . . .

no, you are not the only one.. somewhere around version 529 there was a change in the playback. and more people had reported the problem, and switching helped. when you do a search for

direct sound wave out

you will find a bunch of them.

glad it worked

:)
gab

NeoMorph

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2009, 04:28:23 pm »

I just updated Media Center and I think I wrecked my ears.  I'm sure I was using Direct Sound perfectly well before but now...
Wave Out fixed it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up