INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Delayed play with NAS HDD  (Read 12387 times)

blindjim

• Recent member
  • Keep looking up.
Delayed play with NAS HDD
« on: January 21, 2009, 12:45:21 pm »

I got some issues now that I’ve added a NAS HDD. …. But only with MC 12… NOTHING ELSE.

:'(
I'm experiencing substantial delays when accessing and playing files off my NAS Drive with MC 12+.

These times range from about 4 seconds to as much as 15, give or take a sec, and avg. about 11 or so.

Buffering is at default. playback of tracks is at immediate.

Can anyone suggest any other settings which will speed up playback?

i..e., seek smooth, etc. I also eliminated cross fade from being active in JR MC12.

WMP and ITunes play files nearly imediately... maybe a seconds or so  delay. That would be acceptable, but not 3-15 seconds.

I did call Iomega yesterday. We went through what they could or would support, mainly the use of WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER, which I’ve never used on any of my current personal confusers.

Of course WMP had to be activated and set up first. So I did.

Following that step, the time delay for file playback WITH mc12 was greatly reduced.

THERE IS ALMOST NO LAG AT ALL WITH THE FREE WMP or ITUNES… IT seems funny to me that a paid for app should perform at a lower level than FREE ones..

However, now it ranges from 4 – 5 seconds before tracks begin to play. Stoppage is near immediate still in every case.

BTW 320 kbps Mp3’s play much faster.

Why should WMP have anything to do with MC 12?

Are there settings in Windows Media Player I need to adjust still?

Please, any help is severely appreciated. Thanks.
It's not what you don't know that can hurt you, it's what you know that just ain't so that does the most damage, most of the time!

blindjim

• Recent member
  • Keep looking up.
Re: Delayed play with NAS HDD
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 01:30:46 pm »

:'(Mc 12.534 dreadfully slow to play music tracks

I got some issues now that I’ve added a NAS HDD. …. But only with MC 12… No other media apps are as slow.

Should MC be installed onto the NAS Drive itself?

Where?

With another install of MC on the pc as well?

I also need to make some changes in how playlists operate. Playlists will generate a displayed image of sorts when each file is activated for play. I must then hit escape to access others in that list.

Images, by and large are of little benefit to me, so turning them off would suit me fine…. But how?

:'(
I'm experiencing substantial delays when accessing and playing files off my NAS Drive with MC 12.534.

These times range from about 4 seconds to as much as 15, give or take a sec, and avg. about 11 or so.

Buffering is at default. playback of tracks is at immediate.

Can anyone suggest any other settings which will speed up playback?

i..e., seek smooth, etc. I also eliminated cross fade from being active in JR MC12.

WMP and ITunes play files nearly imediately... maybe a seconds or so  delay. That would be acceptable, but not 3-15 seconds.

I did call Iomega yesterday. We went through what they could or would support, mainly the use of WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER, which I’ve never used on any of my current personal confusers.

Of course WMP had to be activated and set up first. So I did.

Following that step, the time delay for file playback WITH mc12 was greatly reduced.

THERE IS ALMOST NO LAG AT ALL WITH THE FREE WMP or ITUNES… IT seems funny to me that a paid for app should perform at a lower level than FREE ones..

However, now it ranges from 4 – 5 seconds before tracks begin to play. Stoppage is near immediate still in every case.

BTW 320 kbps Mp3’s play much faster.

Why should WMP have anything to do with MC 12?

Are there settings in Windows Media Player I need to adjust still?

Please, any help is severely appreciated. Thanks.
It's not what you don't know that can hurt you, it's what you know that just ain't so that does the most damage, most of the time!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 03:05:33 pm »

There isn't anything special about how MC plays from a NAS drive, so it is probably a config issue somewhere.

Your MC database files should probably be local, not on the NAS drive.

A virus checker is also a possible cause of a lag.

There are many odd problems on computers.  Here's an example of an old user report:
I discovered my problem with locating the media server on my network. I recently upgraded my network to gigabit speed and purchased 3 Intel gigabit NICs and 2 switches. 

I enabled Jumbo frames on all the NICs as the switches support the feature.

I didn't realize this was my issue as I also made some other changes (naturally). Today, on a whim, I disabled Jumbo frames, and voila! My MC client was able to find the media server and pull the library.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 03:10:14 pm »

Here's another:
The problem was caused by a bug in my Linksys WRT54G wireless router. There is a known problem that occurs after a prolonged period of bittorrent activity. The intuitive solution would be to upgrade the router firmware to the latest version (4.21.1) however many users report this actually makes it worse. The best solution (short of moving to 3rd party firmware) is to reset the router to factory settings and then reload your configuration settings. Note that a simple power cycle or normal hardware reset is not sufficient. You must do a full reset to factory settings.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 03:11:27 pm »

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 03:35:42 pm »

blindjim,

Did you use MC for copying the files to your new NAS device or did you create a new MC library? If you created a new library you may be seeing the effect of certain MC features that may cause lots of initial file reading and writing traffic. The auto-import feature can analyze files and download cover art when these options are enabled. Also creating the file thumbnails take some time and cause additional resource usage even if the files already have cover art.

You didn't provide much exact details, just quite vague descriptions of the symptoms.

What file formats do you have? I see that you have previously asked about ALAC playback. Do you have lots of ALAC files? How many files do you have in the library? Do you have a wired or wireless LAN? What is its nominal speed? Etc...
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

strebormj

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2009, 04:33:47 pm »

1.  Does this issue only happen the first time you try to play a file, or does it happen immediately after a song is played (e.g., when there is still a live connection to the NAS)? 
2.  What protocol (e.g., SMB) are you using in each app to access the NAS? 
3.  How is each app's library reference to the NAS configured (e.g., direct share access vs. drive mapping)?

I have multiple computers running MC 12 playing MP3 files off a NAS via SMB.  Each uses direct share access (drive mappings are horrible for NAS devices that spin down or shut off automatically to save power).  As a rule, I don't generally see a delay in playing MP3 files, except for maybe the first time I hit the NAS after it has been inactive for a while. 

blindjim

• Recent member
  • Keep looking up.
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 03:16:31 pm »

here goes to all that have been so kind as to alott me some of their exp and time in this matter... I attend to all your notes at the bootom of this reply.

First off, I will add as much more info on my situation as I can think to do...

This is lengthy though… and questions are at the end.

99% of the time when I use the NAS DRIVE now, it is purely to play audio files. I turn off the AVG 8.1 virus app each time, so no scans run during playback.

I’ve not found a suitable firewall that complies with Vista 32 yet, so I’m using only the MS OEM one that came with…

Two desktops are connected to a D Link 10/100 wireless router via standard ether net cable… the laptop uses it’s OEM wireless NIC via 80211 G to connect.

I have a 128 bit WEP Key in use. Nothing else.

The category of wireless connection on the Toshiba laptop is assigned as “public”.

The Vista UAC is disabled.

When connection to the NAS DRIVE is accomplished a change to intranet must be made.

95% of the files copied from a USB HDD to the NAS DRIVE were ripped using iTunes error free into lossless codecs…. ALAC. Some were older mp3’s at 320 constant bit  rates. Recently I’ve been resorting to redoing some non error free CD rips into FLAc using EAC.

These latter codecs  comprise about 5% of the library.

My Library contains a bit over 13K audio tracks…. Around 400 Gigs or so of music.

I’ve imported these files into MC, from the NAS HDD 2 ways.

Naturally, I removed the library file from it’s  default location and saved it to another folder as it contains the whole of the USB drive.

I even had to clear the MC library using FILE > LIBRARY > CLEAR LIB; in MC.

Thereafter I imported files into MC lib by using Explorer… and right clicking the folders to import.
Then I had enourmous delays… avg. 15 – 17 secs. Regardless how they were accessed. Playlists at that time did actuate faster though, but not by much.

To begin playing ANY file off the NAS with MC, I had to go thru Windows Explorer FIRST, log into the NAS DRIVE, select a file and select MC as the media player.

Wait a little while and then MC would play the imported files, but with great delays occurring from one track to the next…. Regardless as well, how they were being selected… double clicking seems to take the longest times, Ctrl + N, a bit less.

Selecting the entire album and playing tracks within it wasn’t nearly as delayed as is/was playing back randomly picked ones I double clicked at will.

Playlists went still faster but even then tracks avg’d. 10 secs.

Thereafter, I got no replies here so I called Iomega support.
Steps I took with them were made solely with Windows Media Player as they supported only that player in conjunction with their 1TB NAS drive.

They/he did let me try to use MC 12 to see how much the delay was, and we counted down, and off from the intial click and the times were extremely lengthy… 16 to 18 secs for the song to begin.

Following that we opend up WMP and tried it.  I HAD NEVER USED WMP…. So it got activated for the first time and quickly setup so it would work.

I used the same WAV & mp3 files on the NAS and thru Explorer again, selected and played them…. Violin. Near immediacy! WMP found them and got em going almost as quickly as they were clicked onto.

A suprizing thing happened there after the call to the NAS Support folks… MC got faster.

Times were now down to 4 – 7 secs in between tracks… with mp3s again, playing quickest of them all.

I then went back into MC > File > Library > import folder; and imported the folders all over again. One main folder at a time… seven main folders. The largest of which contains 6K + tracks. The other main folders have on avg 2K… some only 100 or so.

All of the options on the laptop are just about all the default options. One desktop as you mentioned had to have the “DIRECT SHOW” thingy plug in added. That hasn’t changed.

Neither the oldest desktop nor the laptop required such moves. MC plays all the file types I’ve associated it with on those PCs.

I yet have severe delays upwards of 5 secs now with the laptop.

Did you use MC for copying the files to your new NAS device or did you create a new MC library?

Copied, and pasted them from the USB DRIVE TO THE NAS drive. I haven’t gotten around to using MC to rip with yet.

If you created a new library you may be seeing the effect of certain MC features that may cause lots of initial file reading and writing traffic.

How then do I slim down the activity? Thumbnails and images mean little to me. If I could simply get it to be a purely music player that would suit me fine.

The auto-import feature can analyze files and download cover art when these options are enabled. Also creating the file thumbnails take some time and cause additional resource usage even if the files already have cover art.

So merely unselect in OPTIONS all the image related selections? Remove them too from the view scenario too? BTW I use standard view.

........ using Direct Share?

I have no idea waht that is or what to do to apply it.

Yes. The NAS HDD MAPS shared folders into Explorer for access.

3 My MC playback options are:
mostly set to defaults.
Seek silence
stop immediately
seek aggressively

I can eliminate the art work downloAZds and thumb nails.... although I don't know yet how to make the view quit changing when palying in a playlist. I always have to hit escape and then selct another track there after!

......... Does this issue only happen the first time you try to play a file, or does it happen immediately after a song is played (e.g., when there is still a live connection to the NAS)? 

There is little diff at all. Slightly better once MC has been initiated, but not much.

I get the spinning up time after lengthy inactivity too. That’s understandable.

......... What protocol (e.g., SMB) are you using in each app to access the NAS? 

Good question… Explorer?  Mapped shared folders?

......... How is each app's library reference to the NAS configured (e.g., direct share access vs. drive mapping)?

Iv’e no other  idea of how to do things save for the defaults provided by either the NAS or MC…. OR HOW TO CHANGE THINGS TO BE BETTER SUITED.

I EVEN set MC to act as server at one point just to see, and there was little to no diff… and later changed it back to it’s default.

I thought too about loading it onto the NAS but had little to go on there as well…. Keep it on the pc too? Configure one differently than the other?

........Your MC database files should probably be local, not on the NAS drive.

They are to the best of my knowledge, although in Vista I’m not entirely sure where to look for them. I never told MC to put them onto the NAS.

..........A virus checker is also a possible cause of a lag.

Thought about that too and disabled it when playing music.

Now, after all that importing and reimporting, a couple folders aren't being accessed, and the info window says to ensure the MC lirary is pointing to the correct location... how do I do that? Clear the library and start over by making another one??

all have my indebtness and immense gratitude for their assistance here...

Thanks
Jim

strebormj

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2009, 10:33:00 am »

here goes to all that have been so kind as to alott me some of their exp and time in this matter... I attend to all your notes at the bootom of this reply.

Hmm.

What happens if you drop your library,  delete the drive (e.g., "Z:\") that you are watching in your "watched folders,"  add the UNC path (e.g., "\\myNas\myMusicShare") to your file share as the "watched folder," and then start the auto-import?

Also, do you have network auto-tuning disabled in Vista?  If not, try disabling it.

blindjim

• Recent member
  • Keep looking up.
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2009, 02:09:17 pm »

> What happens if you drop your library,  delete the drive (e.g., "Z:\") that you are watching in your "watched folders,"  add the UNC path (e.g., "\\myNas\myMusicShare") to your file share as the "watched folder," and then start the auto-import?

Same … just a different path.

> Also, do you have network auto-tuning disabled in Vista?  If not, try disabling it.

I’ve no idea what that is or where to find it. If it’ll help, I’ll sure turn it off… Hell, I’ll sacrifice a goat if it will help!

It’s one of two things…  it’s JR MC 12’s inability to deal with Vista.

Plain and simple… well through it’s wireless interface…. Even via wired it is at abvout 5 – 6 seconds of lag… but does stop right away.

I’ve done a fresh install, updates, changed the path for file locations to NETWORK > NAS > MUSIC vs. the mapped shared folders.

I’ve turned off updateing tags, (but now get an error when playing every file… that does play… evenetually), associated only music files with JR MC… nothing else. With both destops, all is well. Save for the Error messages that MC cant’ tag and relocate files… hell, I don’t want it to move or rewirete anything! Just find ‘em and play em, and I’ll show ya where they are located!

There is definitely a bug in MC that is making it incompatible with Vista 32 SP 1. Plain and simple. IMO!!

Let me ask another item… where would you look to change the settings in the laptops NIC?  Device manager, still?

I wonder if it’s set to G…??  If it were set to less than G speeds, would that account for all this junk??

Be well

blindjim

• Recent member
  • Keep looking up.
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2009, 02:15:40 pm »

uh. sorry... that ain't it... remember? the laptop plays well and quickly with NON JR MEDIA PLAYERS.

it's an incompatibility issue in JR MEDIA CENTER 12.534 WITH vISTA USING WIRELESS CONNECTIONS!!

strebormj

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2009, 04:47:24 pm »

uh. sorry... that ain't it... remember? the laptop plays well and quickly with NON JR MEDIA PLAYERS.

it's an incompatibility issue in JR MEDIA CENTER 12.534 WITH vISTA USING WIRELESS CONNECTIONS!!

I don't see this problem on MC 12.x on my Vista32 or Vista64 systems, which are both playing media off a SMB share on a Buffalo Linkstation Live NAS over a wireless 11n network. 

The reason I asked about using UNC vs. drive mappings is that drive mappings can be very flaky with network devices on wireless networks, particularly those that spin down to save power.  Sounds like that's not your issue however. 

What happens if you put those same files on a shared folder over another computer you can access over your wireless network?

Also have you verified that WMP didn't copy the files to your local box, perhaps based on your "ripped music" settings? 

What happens when you disable security on your NAS? 

blindjim

• Recent member
  • Keep looking up.
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2009, 04:35:09 pm »

Hi Strebormj

Ive answered your questions here and at the bottom of my reply as best I can.

I just checked online now to see what UNC meant to be sure. so I believe I did finally…

I created a work group, added the Iomega store center to it, and then imported files into the what ever pc.

I began first with the BR pc, connected via Ethernet…. 6300 files from one folder took 13 hours to import.

This exact same lengthy import period took almost that long with a faster pc running windows xp pro with a quicker CPU… both were connected by ether net cable.

I’ve not yet attempted to import them into the Vista unit yet… as I thought to do it over the wireless conn to the same work   group.

No. WMP didn’t import anything except for the few files I played to confirm  where the problem really is… “JR River”…

MAYBE this bit means something….
Iomega store center ix2 1TB that I own has two media servers on it as OEM apps. WMP & iTunes.

Both of those players are spot on right and ready. Quick… no hassles at all and almost immediate playback times from either via the Vista laptop.

The laptop has all the latest MS updates, save for the SP2 BETA recently released in Dec 08….. I have it but havn’t installed it yet.

You say no problems with “11N”. wireless… isn’t that quite a lot faster than aBG wirelss connections? Which is what I have.

All my file location names in MC 12 under the Location colum now show as \\NAS\MUSIC FOLDER NAME\ ARTIST\ALBUM
FILE NAME...

WOULDN’T THIS NOW BE CONGRUENT WITH WHAT YOU HAD IN MIND?

You……..What happens if you put those same files on a shared folder over another computer you can access over your wireless network?

Me…. Hadn’t thought to do that… I’ll look around for my USB wireless gizmo and get back to you.

you…….Also have you verified that WMP didn't copy the files to your local box, perhaps based on your "ripped music" settings? 

me….. near sure it didn’t… remember? I never used WMP until I contacted iomega sup and they made me install it for speed checking reasons… I did, we did, and only played a few files of varying size with it. It was great, speed wise.

YOU…….What happens if you disable security on the NAS?

ME….. No change. Protected or not, same results.  Well it reformatted itself to NTFS instead of fat 32 that it was originally…. I think.

What else can I do or be done to find out if it’s my thru put via the router, or slimming down MC to speed things up?

Vista SP2 beta install?
I can’t go to Win 7 at all… on any pc.

Thanks very much,
jim

strebormj

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2009, 05:51:08 pm »

blindjim:

Given what you said, I'd be curious to see what happens when you try to access the files from your other PC over your network. 

blindjim

• Recent member
  • Keep looking up.
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2009, 02:16:54 am »

Me too

via wired (ethernet) all is as should be IMO.

Another site says the through put I am getting with 80211G is fast enough for speedy and uninterrupted playback.

Could the wireless Vista, or J River, be chaching some of the packets?

If so, where would I look to see in both...

Also, I continually get (on one pc) an info window when closing MC 12 that some files need to moved and retagged... How can I prevent this from happening?

I actually thought I had turned off all such getting info, tagging, download art etc.

Thanks
jim

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2009, 05:41:17 am »

A few things about local area networks in general,

- the best commonly available option is a wired gigabit connection. Its maximum data transfer rate is close to what can be achieved with a local hard drive, though the file access time through LAN is still unavoidably a lot worse than the access time of a modern local hard drive. The network connection system adds an additional complex layer to the data traffic. It sends data in small packets and checks the validity of each packet.

- the second best option is a wired 100 mbit connection. When it is correctly configured (= all PCs and devices connect as full dublex through a high quality switch) it is most likely still better than even the fastest new wireless technologies. Especially the access times are snappier.

- wireless technologies are getting better and better, but in my opinion they are still the last option if the intention is to share lots of large media files over a LAN.

- the OS and file sharing system in a NAS device might work at a slower speed than Windows file sharing on a modern PC. This difference may or may not be significant. It would be nice to see comprehensive independent comparison tests. All reviews I have seen have been quite subjective opinions about a single NAS device without actual reliable LAN speed measurements.

Could the wireless Vista, or J River, be chaching some of the packets?

MC doesn't adjust anything according to the file's location. It handles local files and files that are shared over a LAN in a similar manner. It just uses what the operating system provides. (I don't mean MC's built-in server/client systems with this. They are quite different things.)

Also, I continually get (on one pc) an info window when closing MC 12 that some files need to moved and retagged... How can I prevent this from happening?

I actually thought I had turned off all such getting info, tagging, download art etc.

I don't think MC has any feature that would automatically move files, but it is probably a general text that is used when files are either moved or tagged (or both).

The Auto-Import feature could cause background tagging and additional network traffic. I'd recommend switching the "Run in background" setting off when files are accessed through a LAN (if you have it enabled).

You can always start the import process manually when needed. It will then run through the process once and stop. (Tools > Run Auto-Import Now)
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

blindjim

• Recent member
  • Keep looking up.
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2009, 07:33:20 am »

RE Alex B.

Thanks much... you're a real sport.

It sure seems something, Vista sp1 or MC 12 is caching file packets... but as you say neither inherently does such a thing.

the intended use here is as a digital source for solitary music playback. Only one machine at a time will be playing files off the NAS. The Vista notebook mainly via wireless access works best for me.

it is doable to use a ethernet wire, but I'd prefer not as I've already one lengthy usb CABLE EMPLOYED RUNNING TO THE dac.

btw... THE SAME usb CABLE WAS USED IN ALL MY TRIALS WHICH POINTED TO THE VISTA pc & MC 12 as the problem childs.

I'll look into upgrading to a Gigabit router ASAP.

the current 10/100 router used now has no issues when going with a wired application... only wireless.

I'll double check that Auto Run thingy.

Another bothersome thing is when playing via playlists, and some other ways, album art is displayed and I have to hit escape or alt + F4 to rid the image...

HOW CAN I MAKE THINGS NEVER SHOW ANY IMAGE IN ANY WAY WHEN PLAYING AUDIO FILES?    WHAT MUST I CHECK OR UNCHECK, AND WHERE.... PLEASE...

I WILL GET BACK TO ALL ON THE TRIAL OF THE OLDER OS VIA WIRELESS THIS WEEKEND...  OR ASAP.

I PROMISE.

THANKS MUCH

BE WELL,
JIM

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2009, 08:15:18 am »

I probably have said this to you before, but a virus checker can cause a slowdown.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2009, 08:25:27 am »

Network hardware or configuration is also a possibility.

There is a long list of problems that have been solved in my signature.  It's called "Weird Problems".

Here's an example of one (read the next to last post):
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=24041

There was another problem with Intel cards and a setting called something like "mammoth packets".  Mammoth isn't the right word though.

The Weird Problems thread is worth a long look.  You may not find your solution but you will find ideas.

Google searches are also useful.

blindjim

• Recent member
  • Keep looking up.
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2009, 10:24:19 am »

hi folks... thanks so much... I sincerely appreciate your efforts. Believe that.
RE Virus checker

Got it. I disable it during file playback… usually the notebook is not the preffered web  crawling device for me as it is awkward to manage. Consequently, it’s used only as a jukebox 98% of the time.

RE Weird stuff…

I’ve. Googled till I’m  ga ga, on this and usually only get ads or websites selling high speed routers or NIC cards. Little else worthwhile.  In a search for increasing wireless vista operation.

The Litmus test will be connecting the desktop running another OS via wireless, I suspect.  At that point the only item still in common is the router itself..

I’ve gone to the Toshiba website and looked  for updates… even found at MS a beta sp 2 for vista I am deliberating on installing.

Trust me, I’m doing all I can and remain mystified as to this annomoly.

I’ve also been a avid proponent of informing the improvements in audio quality via MC to other’s routinely… and am now wondering myself as to what’s up…

I asked Alex B. about disabling image displays during audio file playback… either randomly, or via playlists… any thoughts as to how to stop that?

I haven’t given up yet.

Thanks

Be well,
jim

blindjim

• Recent member
  • Keep looking up.
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2009, 02:49:36 pm »

"....do you have network auto-tuning disabled in Vista?  If not, try disabling it."

Where might I find this auto tuning gizmo?

What about a portable install onto the NAS drive itself?

Where would I find the steps, and settings for such an event?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2009, 03:22:39 pm »

I asked Alex B. about disabling image displays during audio file playback… either randomly, or via playlists… any thoughts as to how to stop that?

You can:
- hide the cover art display in Playing Now by dragging the divider all the way up
- remove the "Image (small thumbnail)" column from the list views
- you can disable grouping in "Customize Current View"
- you can set MC use the traditional text based "panes on top and list on bottom" view style. 
... that's about it.

Also, if you have not yet set these, you can disable the "Build thumbnails", "Get cover art" and "Analyze audio" settings in Tools > Auto-Import Options > Auto-Import Folders > Options .

EDIT

In addition, if the files have linked and/or embedded cover art in the file tags you can remove the cover art links and embedded images:
select all files > right-click > Cover Art > Remove Cover Art

strebormj

• Recent member
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2009, 08:05:11 pm »

Where might I find this auto tuning gizmo?

What about a portable install onto the NAS drive itself?

Where would I find the steps, and settings for such an event?

Auto-tuning:  http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/03/22/disable-tcp-auto-tuning-to-solve-slow-network-cannot-load-web-page-or-download-email-problems-in-vista/

If you NAS runs Linux (like 99.9% of them), it won't run MC.  However, you can probably install a streaming media server on it, and then connect your MC to that. 

Oh, did you check your firewall settings?  Something may be open for WMP but not MC.  If you haven't tried that already, try disabling your firewall and then test MC.

blindjim

• Recent member
  • Keep looking up.
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2009, 03:05:00 am »

Alex B.
Thanks much. I believe I got the art thingy OK.

that was a trip. I thought if you  set things up one way it went for all views.. but not so. Each view needs to be config'd seperartely.

Could you chime in on some info for portable installs? or if it bares doing in my own case?

I'm hard pressed to believe JR MC can't be set onto the NAS if Windows Media Player and itunes can... and they are as OEM equipment. As well as that PUNP OR WHATEVER IT'S CALLED WHERE YOU CAN PLUG IN SOME OTHER MEDIA PLAYER  HARDWARE.

REMEMBER only the vista 32 sp2 wireless laptop is havinng the delayed response times. Not the xp desktop or xp pro desktop connected via wires to the D link 624 router.

Sure would appreciate your help with that.

Be well, and thanks again...
jim

blindjim

• Recent member
  • Keep looking up.
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2009, 03:17:35 am »

strebormj

Thanks much for the link on the auto tune.. I'll get to it manyana.

No firewall. only the Vista firewall... haven't found one yet that will work with Vista... tried the Zone labs like i've been using for years on my desktops  but on Vista, it crashed the machine... yet said it was compliant... even PC world mag said it was!

Streaming player?
I;'ve no idea what your are talking about here, sorry.

I've no problems doing what ever is needed to overcome this refusal of MC to play nice with my Vista mach. via wireless connection... like itunes and WMP are doing now.

I spent all night yesterday playing itunes via the laptop into my main audio rig and it wasn't a bad thing at all. In fact the latest ver of itunes I downloaded just before that, plays very well indeed. the margin of performance between itunes and MC has closed some what with this later release... sonically speaking.

I'm pretty picky about the sound of the music I listen to and being able to sit there for 7 - 8 hours straight, says something all by itself. it was easy, quick, responsive, slam dunk simple to operate, and had a good feel and quality sound to it.

I might just need instant replay from both to hand the blue ribbon to the winner, between MC & itunes now. Sonically speaking. Aural memory gives MC THE EDGE STILL... though the edge is slighter.

Info on the Streamer thingy would be surely appreicated.

Be well,
jim

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2009, 12:04:35 pm »

I've no problems doing what ever is needed to overcome this refusal of MC to play nice with my Vista mach. via wireless connection... like itunes and WMP are doing now.
You've said this several times.  MC doesn't know what the drive is.  It uses Windows to address it, so it's not an MC problem.  I'm sorry if you think it is.

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2009, 01:18:54 pm »

Blindjim,

Audiogon seems to have lost my user name/password (Old Listener).  I'll reply to you on the JRiver forum.

Another thread turned up the fact that you are using mp4a files.  Someone suggested that you switch from using Quicktime to using a DirectShow filter to play mp4a files.

There is an FAQ sticky thread on the MC 13 forum with lots of leads.  Look for crazy crashes and weird problems in that thread for more threads.

Some other possibilities: auto-import, analyze audio and anything to do with album art can cause background processing.

You might start a new thread with more detail about your problem.  (details of your PC, size of library, location of library and music files, other s/w such as anti-viruses.) Describe your problem in detail: when does it happen, exactly what are you doing when the problem happens and what is the problem behavior.  Does it happen sometimes or always?  Does it happen when you start MC 12 and then not later or does it always happen when you select some files?

Bill

blindjim

• Recent member
  • Keep looking up.
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2009, 04:02:54 pm »

Thanks bill

Post into the MC13 area?

The use of direct Show was needed on the XP Pro desktop a good while back... well before the Vista unit got here. That's done and working still.

The issue happens all the time with the Vista unit.
No Firewall other than the one MS has on the VISTA 32 OS.
The AVG ANTI VIRUS IS OFF DURING PLAYBACK... AND i'VE SET IT TO NOT RUN CHECKS ON ANY MEDIA FILES OR mc FOLDERS AS WAS MENTIONED IN THE mc 'WIERD STUFF' THREAD... which, natually I've read.
It happens always and only with the Vista unit.... wired or wireless.

I'll see if the Direct Show plug in will run on vista. I still have the exe on hand.

After nearly 3 solid weeks bill, I'm just run down. Tired of it.

I did initiate another thread asking for info on "PORTABLE  INSTALATIONS"... Reffering to my issue/need and it's appropriateness for resolving things.

BTW I also have turned off the AUTO IMPORT feature... WAtch this folder feature... eliminated thunbnails... where ever possible in MC already... No change.

I've unistalled, reinstalled, defraged, etc. No change.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2009, 04:09:58 pm »

Have you tried uninstalling your virus checker?  Disabling may not be enough.  We've seen it.

If it's slow on Vista but not on XP, then try turning off Vista's UAC.

Listener's point about DirectShow vs Quicktime is still valid.  If you're not using DirectShow, then Quicktime will get loaded, and that could account for some latency.

blindjim

• Recent member
  • Keep looking up.
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2009, 05:41:04 am »

Hi Jim

Thanks for the insights.... UAC is OFF. Bothersome, ineffective annoyance that it is... has been off since I found out where to disengage it.

Uninstalling the anti virus app is not an option. Not with a PC. I'd not wish to save the barn and lose the ranch.

I did disable it's checking functions of all media extensions and JR MC folders and files.
I'll do the install of DS onto the Vista pc, today sometime.

I would re-itterate, gaining the input of step by step instructions for a PORTABLE INSTALL, (if thoughts are it is a solution) would be sincerely appreciated.

Frustrated but still grateful... jim

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2009, 06:25:27 am »

Like I said in your other thread, MC once loaded for the most part will be running from memory so a portable installation is very unlikely to make any difference.

Have you tried watching for CPU spikes in other processes when MC goes to play these files?  You may find some other security app is getting busy in there.

(Have you tried disabling Windows Defender?)

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2009, 07:48:10 am »

Hi Jim

Thanks for the insights.... UAC is OFF. Bothersome, ineffective annoyance that it is... has been off since I found out where to disengage it.

Uninstalling the anti virus app is not an option. Not with a PC. I'd not wish to save the barn and lose the ranch.
Disconnect from the Internet and other PCs if necessary.  Just to test.  It's the only way to be certain.
I would re-itterate, gaining the input of step by step instructions for a PORTABLE INSTALL, (if thoughts are it is a solution) would be sincerely appreciated.
A portable install would not be helpful.  It's not the intended use.

strebormj

• Recent member
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2009, 08:06:21 am »

blindjim:

Try disabling Vista's firewall, just to get an accurate comparison (WMP vs MC). 

As far as media servers go, some NAS products actually host a media server that streams your files, rather than just providing SMB access to them like the NAS itself does.

blindjim

• Recent member
  • Keep looking up.
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2009, 01:08:54 pm »

hello all...

I'm Not quite there yet, but realizing some improvements....

1   I did the Direct show ‘base’ filter installation, following the notes I saved from having done it on the XP Pro desktop. Seemed to go fluently on Vista as well. Now m4a files (apple lossless) will play

2    I’m not too sure if I did the ‘AUTO TUNE DISABLE’ properly though… AS the instructions I found weren’t very revealing to me.

What I did was… Point to START > RUN > ‘netsh’  (and got a DOS window?), then I typed into that window right after the “>”netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled

So if that’s how to do it … it’s done.

Why  I said "... some improvements" is that I’m experiencing no further lag times or delays, with m4a files played from the NAS drive, in MC 12.0.534 now, with the Vista 32 SP2 Laptop via wireless connection.   Yayyy.

BTW, With or without the antivirus checker running.

3   I’M STILL NOT able to play “m4p” files however.

Trying to play m4p files, I receive a window which says I need to authorize this PC…. I follow that process, opening itunes, entering user name and pswd. Yet nothing happens… for a very long time… (if at all)  and then maybe it will play … maybe not…

Selecting another likewise file… THE EXACT SAME INFO WINDOW POPS UP AND I MUST THEN REPEAT THE PROCESS again.

So the delays when playing everything but m4p (protected/purchased) files seem to have disappeared, and only these protected files will NOT play… or will NOT RESPOND QUICKLY LIKE THE REST OF THE AUDIO FILES and an authorization for each must be input… EVERYTIME.

Installing and configuring the DS plug in, I saw no “m4p” on the list to check it’s box for DS decoding.

Would the m4p file be represented other than as “m4p” in that list?

I am more than in everyone’s debt for the efforts thus far with this event and  thank each sincerely…  THEN THIS... SUPER.

ANY ideas about getting around the m4p’s ?

Be well, Jim

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2009, 01:30:02 pm »

m4p files from the iTunes store are different. The files are protected by Apple's proprietary DRM code. MC has been able to play m4p files by using the QuickTime decoding method when QuickTime is installed and the files are properly registered on the used PC with iTunes. DirectShow decoding has never been an option for the DRM protected m4p files. The DirectShow filters do not have any means to access Apple's protection system.

Can you play the m4p files with iTunes on the same PC? If that works then you may be able to pay them also with MC.

It is also possible that Apple has changed the protection system to exclude external players that use QuickTime, but I have not seen anything like that reported here. Personally I have never bought any DRM protected files.

blindjim

• Recent member
  • Keep looking up.
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2009, 02:31:14 pm »

Thanks Alex

that'll save me a little  time from combing through the DS filter configs.

I think there may be an issue too with the files being sent via a remote HDD.

I'll double check  that out. Both ways.

In the iTunes version I'm using I have two libraries set up... one shared, the other as default.

I also feel this recurring notice to authorize the pc is a oddity pursuant to the later versions of Itunes after 7.7.1.  or there abouts.

'Course, for all I know, it's some thing else entirely.

All I know is that on the XP pro mach. which had similar issues in playing ALAC files, once the DS filter was in place those issues disappeared.... and that was a while back and using a previous itteration... in fact I set itunes to never look for an update, preferring to leave well enough alone in that case.

I may have recanted on that move as of late while trying to affect some solution for the Vista unit, as comparisons, trials and errors.. etc.

the Pro mach still plays all well... save for the aspect of the de.ASIO driver not playing with some files, and having to switch to WAVE or DIRECT sound output to play them.

Pages: [1]   Go Up