INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Proper" Artist sort & display sequence - help & advice needed  (Read 1450 times)

stricko

• Galactic Citizen
"Proper" Artist sort & display sequence - help & advice needed
« on: January 24, 2009, 03:08:57 am »

Hi there, I'm evaluating v13 at the moment, and I'm trying a few things. Maybe you can help me short cut something I'm working on.

I'm looking at replacing MCE with MC13 Theater View, and I'm trying to replicate one of the few good things in MCE, the sequencing and display of audio Artist information. What I'd like, is to have the Artists sorted by the tag value, without any superfluous "The"s. So "The Beatles" would sort under B, etc. But when the Artist name is shown, it should be in full, i.e. "The Beatles".

So far, I've managed to work out that I can create a new field, with an expression that chcks for the first 4 characters being "the ", and if so, it strips them off. I've got this working (after a few false starts learning the Expressions syntax!). I can now sort and show Artists using the original tag value or my new sequence. But I'd like the best of both worlds, I want them sorted using my new field, but displayed with the original value.

I've had a look at sort under Modify Results, but I don't understand what I'm getting back.

I suspect many of you have already cracked this one, I'd be very grateful for the benefit of your experience.

PS. While I'm here, are there any guidelines out there for the use of multiple tag values. Another thing that MCE gets right is the interpretation of multiple values in the Artist field, etc. I've not really started looking at this yet, so any shortcuts would be much appreciated. I do my tag editing in MP3Tag, and my audio files are all MP3.

Thanks 

gappie

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: "Proper" Artist sort & display sequence - help & advice needed
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 03:52:19 am »

when you go to tools>options>tree & view>sorting you could enable 'ignore articles (a, the ,an)'

does that do what you want?

:)
gab

stricko

• Galactic Citizen
Re: "Proper" Artist sort & display sequence - help & advice needed
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 04:29:01 am »

many thanks. A much easier way of doing it, but I did learn some stuff about expressions.......
Pages: [1]   Go Up