INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: web radio  (Read 1651 times)

shAf

• Citizen of the Universe
web radio
« on: July 20, 2002, 11:33:42 am »

a couple of things:

Your link to "Smooth Jazz" (smoothjazz.com) seems to be broken ... leastwise, it simply implies 'stopped' .. while it is truly streaming .... e.g., if I clik on its link to stream it will start up Winamp.

How do I make MJ my default MP3 player for webradio (without uninstalling Winamp) ... i.e., so that I can simply clik on a browser link to their stream.

How would I then save the stream as a MJ favorite??

tia & cheerios ... shAf  :)
www.micro-investigations.com
cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland

shAf

RE:web radio
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2002, 12:02:56 pm »

I have setup MJ to associate with all "real" and "mediaplayer" files (and streams?) ... but when I clik on MJ search results for webradio stations, I am still propted to install "Realaudio" for many stations.  How do I fix this?

I found the correct link to "smooth jazz" ...

shAf  :o)

zevele1

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2002, 12:39:18 pm »

You need to have RealPlayer and Windows Media Player

When you set Media Jukebox to play real or windows files,it means that Media Jukebox opens to play this files,instead of realplayer or windows player

shAf

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2002, 10:01:27 am »

clarification please!  Do you mean I need to have RA installed before MJ will properly play the RA streams?  (I am quite hesitant ... RA has a bad rep for installing spyware)  I was hoping MJ would simply play RA streams by itself, given MJ is associated with RA stream extentions(?)

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2002, 10:03:57 am »

>> clarification please! Do you mean I need to have RA
>> installed before MJ will properly play the RA streams?
yes
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2002, 10:22:37 am »

You can have an old, stripped down version of Windows Media Player and MJ will still work with it.
As far as RealAudio, it is very proprietary and will let MJ USE it but not HAVE it. I have heard that there is a way to install RA without all of the bad things but I haven't done it. If it takes RA to play something, it just doesn't get played on my machine.
CVIII
That's right.
I'm cool.

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2002, 10:37:32 am »

shAf,
You might also want to try MP3.com for streaming. Info required for registering is minimal and you don't have to pay for anything unless you choose to buy. Music available to stream is organized into genres and sub-genres (i.e. jazz/smooth jazz) and a playlist is downloaded from the site. When invoked, the playlist shows up on MJ as MP3's waiting to be played and as each is encountered, that one song is streamed from MP3.com's site. You can skip files, rearrange files or replay files just as you would if you had the MP3's on your hard drive because each one is handled independently. You do have to be connected to the net but you have a choice between "lo-fi" and "Hi-fi" playback. The "hi-fi" files show as 128 kbs on MJ.
I downloaded one smooth jazz playlist the other day that had 202 songs and haven't finished it yet. Another good point: I don't have to keep logging into MP3.com to continue with the playlist, all I need is to be connected.
CVIII
That's right.
I'm cool.

shAf

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2002, 11:09:30 am »

Thanx for the mp3.com suggestion ... it looks interesting.  However, I haven't been able to get any browser links to mp3 streams to work.  For example, if I register for a mp3 stream at mp3.com, clikking on the hyperlink will start Winamp instead of MJ.  This goes for any link mp3 to all mp3 streams ... e.g., radioparadise.com ... the only way I can listen to radioparadise is via the MJ webradio window.

(I suppose I could uninnstall Winamp, but I am only testing MJ during its trial period ... and Winamp is a very good player, albeit not as complete)

JimH

• Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2002, 11:17:47 am »

Shaf,
What version of MJ are you using?

Can you give me an example of a link that won't work?

Any Real Player version above 6.0 will work.  MJ uses the Real Player playback engine for their file types.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

shAf

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2002, 01:24:08 pm »

MJ version: 8.0.320 (unregistered trial)

MP3 stream example which will not work:
 Clikking on the "listen" link here:
http://www.radioparadise.com/ ... which instead opens Winamp.

Regarding RA streams ... I may or may not install RA software ... I still believe it's a bad idea and condones their practices.

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2002, 01:28:29 pm »

Check in "options - file associations".
Is everything checked? Should be.
Do you have it "associated with audio CD's"? Should.
Will it "take control of file types"? Should.
I have WinAmp installed but I don't have a problem with file associations.
Maybe you could go to WinAmp and remove the file associations from there.
CVIII
That's right.
I'm cool.

shAf

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2002, 04:10:45 am »

I have now installed RealAudio, but I have configured it with no file associations.  I have also disabled all file associations with Winamp.

Now ... when I ask MJ to play the RA streams for "NPR Buffalo" (via MJ's own web media search) it plays correctly.  It also works correctly when I go to the "WBFO Buffalo" station's own wwwsite and then try to initiate playing their "Live on air" 'wbfo.RM' stream.

However ... when I go to KLCC's wwwsite (cannot be searched for), and ask MJ to play the "KLCC live" 'livestream.RAM' stream RealAudio starts instead.

I just noticed ... my MJ associations are NOT sticky ... previously enabled file types are no longer enabled.  And, neither are the RA associations ... some file types are again enabled.  My OS is Win2k, and I am logged in as a user.  I'll post another message when I have changed these associations with an admin login.

cheerios ... shAf  :o)

shAf

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2002, 04:36:49 am »

I just changed all file associations from the 'admin' login ... and some still did not stick, and they belong to RA.  For example, MJ still associates with 'RM' ... BUT 'RAM', 'RMJ', 'RMM', 'RMP', 'RMX' associations still belong to RA.

RA either has a way of maintaining certain associations, ... or there is something I haven't yet figured out with installing either software into a multi-user Win2k OS (a travelling laptop computer)

cheerios ... shAf  :o)
Pages: [1]   Go Up