INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 3 Media Center Installations, one NAS  (Read 1190 times)

tranceConscious

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Change this by choosing profile
3 Media Center Installations, one NAS
« on: January 28, 2009, 05:22:56 pm »

So I'm trying to figure out a way to do this...

I have three Media Center installations. All three of them access my media library on my home nas.
All three windows installations map the nas as z:\

What I want to do is not to have to run autoimport on all three machines, my playlists, views, view settings being synced on all three machines etc.
I run Media Center only from one machine at the time.

So what I thought of doing was to create a new MC Library using library manager, on the z: drive and have all three media centers load that library.
That sort of solves my problem, but. Thumbnails have to be rebuilt on each machine, auto import and other options need to be synchronized by hand on all three machines etc.

I thought of installing media center on the nas, using the flash disk installation option and have all machines run that, but there is a limitation and that is not posible.

Is there a better/other way of doing it? [I hope you all understand what I want to do]

I'm open to suggestions...

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: 3 Media Center Installations, one NAS
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 10:56:23 pm »

I haven't tried the portable install.

I don't map a drive letter on my pc's.  I just use UNC path to the media files.
I have a 4TB NAS with two folders on it, music and photos.
MC's renaming feature puts things appropriately into subfolders of those two.
One more folder called MCLibrary exists on the nas.
Each computer on my network loads that library.
My main workstation runs MC normally.  All tagging and importing is done here.
All other machines have the /readonly switch on the command line.
Each workstation handles it's own thumbnails, but there's no reason to run import on them.

I wrote a script that uses a utility called psexec and the /silent switch on the MC installer to push updated builds to all workstations.
I just download the latest build to the root of the nas drive, then click a shortcut to fire off that script.

I thought about trying the portable install so that each workstation wouldn't have it's own configuration settings, but I never read up on it enough to understand any limitations that method may have.
Pages: [1]   Go Up