INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How can I save all the settings in Media Center?  (Read 4140 times)

pegazus

• Recent member
How can I save all the settings in Media Center?
« on: February 11, 2009, 07:25:55 am »

Hello

Is it possible to save my settings like Zone, Auto-Import Options etc. that I can restore it for example after a system crash?

pegazus

AoXoMoXoA

• Citizen of the Universe
  • I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
Re: How can I save all the settings in Media Center?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 07:44:00 am »

This feature has been requested repeatedly over several versions of Media Center, perhaps it will be made to happen before the conclusion of MC13 development.   :-\

In the meantime, search the forum here for Glynor's 'script' for saving such settings.
. . . the game is rigged

ChrisRainman

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 08:16:53 am »

It looks like Glynor's script links is dead. Did that script work for MC13 also?

But, something should be part of the official product version. At the moment, it's just impossible to move MC13 from one machine to another with any settings with single steps. And even in more steps, how to do it? It should not be necessary to answer that question. Just offer it in the next release ;)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 02:53:04 pm »

I haven't updated it since MC12 came out, though it should (in theory) still work if you can get it.  I'll try to look at it tomorrow.

If you want to do it manually, it is quite easy if you've used the Registry Editor before...

1. Open Regedit.
2. Navigate to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JRiver
3. Right click on the "JRiver" in the Regedit tree-view.
4. Choose Export.
5. Type in a file name and save the file somewhere safe where you'll find it.
6. Copy the REG file to the new machine (or whatever) and then double click on it to restore the settings back to the registry.
7. It'll ask you if you are sure you want to do this (and prompt for UAC on Vista/Windows 7).

You may notice there is also a HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JRiver registry key.  DO NOT do the same with this one.  This key contains machine-specific settings (registration and hardware settings and the like), not user settings.  Don't worry about this one.

This process only copies over all of MC's settings, not the Library itself.  You must also back up your library and thumbnails separately.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 03:25:41 pm »

Awesome! Thanks Glynor

pegazus

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009, 05:11:46 pm »

Thanks Glynor

Gl3nn

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 12:14:46 am »

Great info, thank you!

dcwebman

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2009, 07:49:15 am »

Unless I'm missing something, which is certainly possible, there are still pieces laying around like saved views that aren't stored in the library backup. So it is difficult trying to move MC from one machine to another. I got a new laptop a couple months ago but have yet to install MC on it yet just because of that fact. Whenever I have to update my iPod with new podcasts, I have to pull out my old laptop to do it. If there was one simple step to back up MC and then restore on a second machine, I would have it on my new laptop in a heartbeat. Unfortunately I'm still installing other programs on the new laptop slowly, fixing any problems found (that darn Vista 64 bit), so until I have the time to play around with moving MC, I'm going to have to live with my current situation.
Jeff

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2009, 11:25:33 am »

dcwebman...

You're right.  That's why I mentioned copying over the Library and Thumbnails separately.  You also generally want to copy the contents of this folder over to the new machine:
C:\Documents and Settings\<USERNAME>\Application Data\J River\Media Center 13

Assuming you use the default library location, this will capture the library, thumbnails, and backup files.  Any plugins you've loaded are generally in the Program Files' folder, so you may want it as well (but remember you need to actually run the MC installer on the new machine as well to recreate the missing Registry entries):
C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 13

(You actually only need a subset of that folder, but it is easier just to copy over the whole thing, so just do that.)
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up