INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Repeated tag error messages. How to shut off?  (Read 4052 times)

duesy

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Repeated tag error messages. How to shut off?
« on: February 11, 2009, 05:04:39 pm »

Running MC 12.0.534 on a PC attached via USB to an external drive containing source music files. Shortly after MC launches, repeated error message pop-ups appear regarding tag changes and/or missing files. I did not make any tag changes, and all the files are present and play okay! Other forum posts allude to similar situations where users have attempted to disable the popups after their first appearance, but to no avail. Reboots and relaunches have no effect. How do I resolve this "erroeneous" error condition, in addition to killing the pop ups? Thanks,

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Repeated tag error messages. How to shut off?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 05:08:49 pm »

It would be good to figure out what and why it's happening.

Try disabling auto-import (Options > Library) to see if that is the cause.

Also, is there anything special about the files that can't be tagged?  What if you try to manually tag one of those files inside Media Center?

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

duesy

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 05:16:00 pm »

I'll try that. In the meantime, is there a control panel setting to shut off repeating pop ups?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 05:31:36 pm »

What is the exact error message?

duesy

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 08:37:18 am »

Not in front of my music PC now, but something to the effect: "Unable to make tag changes...." Also, several thousand tag changes are running in the background as indicated in bottom task bar!! I did not invoke any tag changes so this is a real mystery.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2009, 09:17:03 am »

The following Auto-Import options can invoke background file tagging:

Analyze Audio 
-- measures all files for replay gain, BPM and intensity and saves the resulting library filed values also in the file tags.

Get Cover Art
-- downloads cover art (if found) from an online database and stores the actual image file also in a file tag (if the file format supports embedding cover art and storing in the file tag is allowed in the cover art options).

In addition, any cover art change always rewrites the file tags, even if the image is not set to be embedded.

I don't what causes "Unable to make tag changes...." issue you are seeing, but for some reason MC is not able to save the tag changes to the files. Have you checked the file permissions? What file formats do you use?

As a workaround you could try if disabling the auto-import options I mentioned helps (or the background importer in general as Matt adviced).

The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 09:41:53 am »

Alex's guess is good.  Read only files or directories?  Take a file you have trouble with and try tagging it manually.
Pages: [1]   Go Up