INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: document play behavior: old better than new  (Read 1444 times)

rjm

• Citizen of the Universe
document play behavior: old better than new
« on: February 13, 2009, 11:10:15 am »

Please ignore if this has been discussed in the past...

The behavior of how documents "play" has changed and I liked it better the old way.

In the past, if I was playing audio or video and then opened a document the audio or video would continue uninterrupted. I like this behavior because I often associated info text files with audio and video and like to read them while listening to the media.

Now when I "play" a document it behaves like an audio/video file and interrupts whatever is currently playing.

Hope you will consider puting it back the way it was.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: document play behavior: old better than new
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 11:41:18 am »

The change was introduced to make possible to play ISO DVD disc images.

MC has now the Playback Method options in Options > File Types, but none of the options works correctly with "unplayable" documents like doc, xls, pdf etc.

There should be an two additional options for data files, for instance:
External Program (default), don't interrupt playback.
External Program (custom), don't interrupt playback.

EDIT

Actually I think the problem shows up only when also the document files are in the Playing Now list and they are double-clicked in PN (not in a library view).

It is possible use an all media view and send all "album" files including documents to PN or drag them from Explorer to MC's PN. I do the latter often. I tag the files in PN and after that "right-click import" them.

rjm, could you explain how your problem can be reproduced?
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

rjm

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 01:43:40 pm »

Hi Alex,

Here are the steps to reproduce the behavior:

1) Browse to an album that has collection of audio files and one or more document files.
2) Double click an audio file - it starts to play.
3) Now double click one of the document files - file opens with default external app and audio playback stops.

If I then inspect Playing Now I can see both the audio file and the document file in the list however the document file is shown as playing. In other words, the document file now behaves just like any audio file - it is added to the playing now queue and begins playing. Note that I have configured the Double Click:  Add to Playing Now option to "play now".

Hoping that the old behavior can be restored.

Thanks, Rob

rjm

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 03:24:18 am »

bump

Any chance of restoring the old behavior? I don't think opening a document should interrupt a playing audio or video.
Pages: [1]   Go Up