INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Prepending a consecutive number to titles as I copy them from MC13 to mp3 player  (Read 6217 times)

TXgary

• Galactic Citizen
  • I'm a llama!

I have an mp3 player that does not support playlists and I want my songs to play in specific order.
I would like to use "name, move, and copy files" to copy a set of songs in a playlist to a place outside of MC13, but I need to prepend a number to each of them.  example:
Joan Jet - I love rock and roll - album - year - track
George Strait - Check yes or no - album - year - track
ABBA - Super Trooper - album - year - track
I would like to prepend (on the front of) a consecutive number to each beginning with 001 so they will play correctly on the mp3 player.
001joan Jet - I love rock and roll -
002George Strait - check yes or no
003ABBA - Super Trooper
The Counter() does not seem to work for me.....
Prepend is probably not the correct word, but you get the idea

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

I think you can do that in the options for handheld sync.

TXgary

• Galactic Citizen
  • I'm a llama!

Sorry, I didn't understand your reply??? Handheld remote?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

When you sync to your handheld (MP3 player) there are options you can set.

TXgary

• Galactic Citizen
  • I'm a llama!

No options that I can find will set the first of the field to allow for sorting properly.  my mp3 player does not support playlists.  Thanks for your help

marko

• MC Beta Team

The Counter() does not seem to work for me.....

I just tested this for you on a playlist of 21 files, and it worked as expected.
When using the "rename move & copy files" tool, remember to make sure that the chosen action in the top drop menu is "Copy". The tool does not remember this choice between uses.
After setting your directory rules, use the following rule for filenames:
padnumber(counter(1),3) [artist] - [album] - [name]

Before you press OK, a few words about "counter()"...
Once invoked, it will keep on counting untill it has been inactive for more than 5 seconds, at which point, it will reset to zero, and keep on counting. What this means is, that if you mouse over the "before/after" columns of the rename, move and copy tool, you will see from the tooltip info that the prepended numbers keep changing, so, what you need to do is trust that the tool will do its job correctly, wait more than 5 seconds, then hit the OK button, making sure to keep the mouse out of the "before/after" area.

Now you can hit the OK button and your files should be copied and named as you wish.

-marko.

TXgary

• Galactic Citizen
  • I'm a llama!

Fantastic, thanks for your help.  I could not get the syntax of the counter() right with the padnumber, Not sure where that is explained
But all worked as stated,  thanks for going the extra mile.

marko

• MC Beta Team

For completeness, and anyone looking for help in this thread, it should be noted that for use with the "rename move & copy files" tool, CustomData(#) might be a better solution, depending upon what you want and what you want it from.

Regards,
-marko.
Pages: [1]   Go Up