INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC is running really slow [solved]  (Read 1734 times)

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Getting older every day
MC is running really slow [solved]
« on: March 31, 2009, 09:59:59 pm »

for example, when I try to tag a few photos (3 to 25) I can hit the Places field which brings up the window with the only 3 items in the library at this point.  I can type in the window normally, or just pick one of the choices, then when I click the x to close the window, MC becomes unresponsive for over a minute!  Every time.  These are files just imported into the program.  Is it actually re-writing the files to update the tags?  I hope not.

If I click on the big Audio or Video or Images icons on the top left it takes a minute or 2 to become responsive again.

I don't have a big library, 10k songs, 40k images, hundreds of videos I guess.

It's a dual core laptop, so not a super fast hard drive, but this is seriously making MC unusable.

ideas?
pretend this is something funny

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Re: MC is running really slow
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 12:34:32 am »

I've said it before and I'll say it again.  I recommend a format and fresh operating system installation.  Then, skip installing all the junk extras that are included.  After I freshly setup a computer it is so fast--literally the fastest it will ever be!  It can only slow down (generally speaking).

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 07:27:04 am »

Well, it's my daily driver, which means it needs lots of the stuff that's on it.  I wish I could just have a machine dedicated to MC, but that's not an option.

However, I did do some more poking around, and it seems to be related to the music being on the server.

I'm going to mess around with the media/library server stuff this weekend and see if I can't find a way to make it all better.

I just wish there was a way to actually update the server library remotely from the laptop this way.  i.e. my changes while working would stick, but I think that's still not a reality yet.

Do we know if the changes I make while tagging for example will update the actual files themselves, since it can't/won't update the library?

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 01:14:04 pm »

However, I did do some more poking around, and it seems to be related to the music being on the server.

Can you expand a bit more on the setup here, what kind of speed do you have to the server etc.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 01:21:31 pm »

Check the link called "Stability" in my signature for ideas.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 10:26:11 pm »

Sorry for the delay.  I've been trying to find files windows was nice enough to delete while "fixing" the wrong hard drive.

Anyway, I think I figured out the problem.  I was pointing to/using a library on the server's external drive that also contained the music.  That drive used to be connected to this machine, and for one reason or another (library server issues I think) I ended up putting it with the music so I could access it from another machine and actually update the tags from the other machine.

I have created a new library on my local machine and just backed up the remote library to this new library and things go MUCH faster.

Now, how do I manage libraries on my laptop, my wife's laptop and the server without corruption and allowing me to actually update tags from any machine without corruption issues?  The new library server is supposed to handle this I think but I've just not had the time to search for the "best" method to do all this.

Ideally I want all music, photos, videos, etc stored on the server, with local converted versions (as a handheld) on the laptops and changes that get made to the local versions pushed back up to the server main/unconverted files and available to the other machine eventually.  For example, putting the 4 & 5 star files on my laptop as smaller converted versions to take on the road, then I do some tagging on those files and when I get back having those changes propagate back to the server and those changes being noticed by the other laptop and updating those in turn.  Is that possible?  How?

Or is there a better way to manage all that?

How about for photos?  Where the wife might do some file renaming or keyword tagging or people/places tagging, then having those changes making their way to all the versions of the files.  Will stacks handle this now?

I'm going to have to re-organize all my files and libraries and work flows and having a good foundation to build from would be a relief.

I appreciate any help in getting this all laid out and organized, thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up