INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC13 pushes MCE/VMC into its locker and shuts the door  (Read 13483 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • where the buffalo roam
MC13 pushes MCE/VMC into its locker and shuts the door
« on: February 17, 2009, 02:36:40 pm »

Media Center 13.0.124 (available in a day or two) has a few changes to make remotes intended for XP Media Center Edition (MCE) and Vista Media Center (VMC) work correctly with MC13.

1.  A lot of buttons didn't work or didn't work correctly.  They should now.  It may take another build or two to get this right.  Channel Up and Down were reversed, for example.  Next track/last track buttons changed the channel -- they now move forward and back in the program.  The double right and left arrow move forward 30 seconds and back 10 seconds.  And so on.

2.  The Green Button will start MC13.

3.  When running, we disable support for Microsoft's MC programs, so  you won't be able to run theirs and ours at the same time.

4.  Music, Images, and Video will jump to the correct locations.  All destinations are in Theater View, though volume up and down, and channel up and down, and a few other buttons may also work in Standard View.

Edit:  You may need to tell Media Center to start Media Server on Windows start.  It's under General in Options.

You may need to switch to the Obsidian skin in Theater View.  It's set in Tools/Options/Theater View.

Theater View in build 124 has a new OSD menu item for recording.  Expect more changes for recording in Theater View.

It's possible that we've created some conflicts, so please let us know what you find.

Thanks.

prod

• Play nice
Re: MC13 pushes MCE/VMC into its locker and shuts the door
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 04:26:02 pm »

Whoa, that is some good ****!

kevind

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 02:09:11 am »

NOoooooooo!!!!!! disabled VMC with J River installed? Well...that sinks my ship. I don't know about anyone else but this is really really bad for me.

I use VMC and J River at the same time and have been for a long time!

Why?.... MyMovies, Slideshows, Home Movies etc. VMC has high WAF and is very good for certain things....just not for music playback.

I soley use J River for music playback because of the zones and that there are 3rd party plugins allowing me to control if via any PC/touchscreen in the house (MusicLobby)

So now I have to make a choice to dump J River and find another audio program that fits the bill?

Under this "direction" this really means for people like me we now have to have a dedicated music PC AND dedicated video PC vs being able to combine them.

With all due repect MyMovies runs circles around J River for WAF movie viewing and DVD library backup. If the WAF goes down we don't get to buy any toys!

Unless I'm misreading this is a MAJOR problem moving forward. Please don't make this a default. make it an "OPTION" that is checked off somewhere...

:o :o :o

jmone

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 05:42:15 am »

As a MCE Remote user - I'm happy as this will hopefully stop VMC from poping up every now and again when the wrong button is pushed!
I'm not a python at JRiver - just another Aussie

kevind

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 11:31:54 am »

This is awful for me as it has now broken my entire media management system. :(

jmone

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 04:32:40 am »

I'm on V125 on Vista Ultimate 32-Bit SP-1.  Couple of early issues:
1) When I use MCE buttons to launch things like Live TV - MC changes to that area of T'View & VMC fires up over the top - I thought I saw a post from Jim on how to disable this but I can now not find it....
2) Record Button when on TV does not seem to do anything any more (it used to start to record the TV but I've not used it for away).

More testing later....

Thanks
Nathan

malfestance

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2009, 12:00:22 am »

;D This news made me EXTREMELY happy, So happy It actually forced me out my "strictly observer" silence...First post for me since I joined last year in Oct.

BUT, my elation was short lived. Though catching the "green button" presses solved a big headache for me. Everything else has been turned topsy turvy.

I use an HP Pavilion DV9000 running XP Media Center 2005, with it's own IR receiver and Remote. Needless to say I hate Windows MCE. It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the lack of customization and ALL the green and blue, to that end I prefer JRiver.

ANYWAY, After the last 2 versions released of MC13... my Play/Pause, Fast Forward, Rewind, Track Skip Forward and Back have ceased working all the time. Sometimes they work, most of the time they don't. while on the bright side, most of the buttons that would have called MCE to start up, instead have gained all new MC13 functions. That's a welcome feature, but if the core controls don't work it's not that fair of a trade off.

Is there anyway for "joe user" to control the button layout of these MCE remotes or am I better off just getting a different remote and IR receiver and using one of MC13's Remote control plugins.

I realize you guys are working on this much needed and appreciated integration, so I just thought I'd let you know of this particular issue from a XP user.

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2009, 06:41:38 am »

Please wait a few builds.  MCE remote support is still a work in progress.  You may also need to get a new remote for it to work correctly.  There seem to be some differences.  We'll try to support them, but it may not be possible to support all variations.

For what it's worth, the remote works pretty well for me now.  The keys you mention all work.  My guess is that the problem you see may be related to key-repeat.  Try a lighter touch.

And a belated welcome to the forum.

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2009, 07:20:05 am »

jmone

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2009, 07:07:21 pm »

I've done some testing using a MS MCE Remote on Vista 32-Bit SP1 and while it looks great, is a big improvement, I've a couple of comments on the mapping as follows:

• Green Button: This toggles between Theater View and a Blank screen - it may be also good to toggle Theater View --> Blank Screen --> Shutdown Options
  • Live TV: Takes you to the last played TV Station
  • Recorded TV: Takes you to the "Television" but should go to the "My Recordings" sub view
  • Guide: Toggles between "Television" --> Std View --> Blank Screen but should go to the EPG Section (eg the All Programs subsection of Television)
  • DVD Menu: Does nothing in TheaterView but should go to "DVD/CD" section.  When playing a DVD it takes you to the DVD Menu as you would expect
  • My TV: Takes you to the Television section
  • My Videos: Takes you to the Videos section
  • My Pictures: Takes you to the Images section
  • My Radio: Commences the MC "Radio" playback function, nice!
  • My Music: Takes you to the Audio section
  • Back: Takes you back on level
  • i: Takes you to Playing Now
  • Ch/PG+: Advances one TV Station / One Music Track etc
  • Ch/PG-: Goes back one TC Station / One Music Track etc
  • >>(FWD): Advances a Music Track by 30sec - I think this should just be like a constant FFW not 30sec Skip Forward
  • >>(REW): Skips a Music Track by 10sec - I think this should just be like a constant REW not 10 sec Skip Back
  • >|(Skip): Same as >> but it should be the same as Ch+ in that it should skip forward to the next track from advance the track by 30sec
  • |<(Replay): Same as >> but it should be the same as Ch+ in that it should skip forward to the next track from advance the track by 30sec
  • Record Button:  No longer starts recording while viewing a TV Program
  • Navigation Buttons (Up/Down/Left/Right/OK):  As you would expect
  • Play/Pause/Stop Bottons: As expected through the Play & Pause buttons both toggle Play and Pause
  • Colour Bottons: Do nil

I'm still stuggling to disable "ehtray.exe" from loading and kicking of VMC all the time.  I've so far tired:
1) Letting MC do it - no good
2) Disabling it from starting up in MSCONFIG - no good it just keeps getting added back
3) Renaming or moving C:\windows\mshome\ehtray.exe but so far Windows is preventing me....

persistant little bugger this one...more on it later no doubt!

Thanks
Nathan

leezer3

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2009, 07:32:23 pm »

I'm still stuggling to disable "ehtray.exe" from loading and kicking of VMC all the time.  I've so far tired:
2) Disabling it from starting up in MSCONFIG - no good it just keeps getting added back
3) Renaming or moving C:\windows\mshome\ehtray.exe but so far Windows is preventing me....

persistant little bugger this one...more on it later no doubt!

Easy as pie  :)
From the command promt:
Code: [Select]
takeown /f C:\windows\mshome\ehtray.exe
cacls C:\windows\mshome\ehtray.exe /G YourUser:F
del C:\windows\mshome\ehtray.exe

Obviously replace YourUser, but otherwise this'll bulldoze ehtray nicely :)
Personally, I've turfed the whole folder.

I am not responsible for any ill effects this causes though.

Cheers

-Leezer-

jmone

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2009, 07:32:38 pm »

OK - this is a bit extreme but works (use at own risk!).  The issue is ehtray is regarded as a systems file so you don't have any permission to do anything with it, however...
1) Start a CMD box with Administrator Priv
2) "cd c:\windows\mshome"
3) "takeown /f ehtray.exe" : You now have ownership of the file but you still need to get the correct priv by
4) "cacls ehtray.exe /G YOURUSERNAME:F"  This will give you the ability to rename / delete / move etc:  Note replace YOURUSERNAME with....your user name that you are logged in with
5) "ren ehtray.exe ehtray.exe.noload"
6) reboot

All should be good

jmone

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2009, 07:34:27 pm »

Woops - Leezer beat me to it!

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2009, 08:44:45 am »

I tried doing this on my VAIO TP1, but didnt get very far. There isnt a mshome directory. ehtray.exe is in the windows root directory, so I tried following your process there instead but the cmd window told me that it doesnt recognise the "Takedown" command.

This could be due to running Japanese Vista Home premium, or the fact that it runs a customized Sony branded VMC.

Anyhoo, the "Green Button" still takes me to the VMC at the moment, and now I feel left out knowing that everyone is happy and content playing with their green buttons without me.

leezer3

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2009, 09:03:58 am »

Probably beacause it's takeown not takedown ;)
Having said that, I've no idea whether it would be any different on a Japanese copy, although I wouldn't expect it to be.

If all else fails, a Linux livecd will bulldoze just about anything  :o

Cheers

-Leezer-

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2009, 10:43:39 am »

There isnt a mshome directory. ehtray.exe is in the windows root directory

It should be in the Windows\eHome folder, not sure what it's doing in your windows root.

park

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2009, 10:33:55 am »

I'm one step closer but not there yet.

I have managed to rename ehtray.exe as outlined above (it was in ehome after all). I restarted and confirmed that it has been renamed.

Now pressing the green button no longer launches Vista MC, but it doesnt launch jriver MC either. Also, when MC is loaded, the green button still has no effect.

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2009, 11:10:29 am »

Now pressing the green button no longer launches Vista MC, but it doesnt launch jriver MC either. Also, when MC is loaded, the green button still has no effect.
To get MC to launch, you need to either have it running in some form, or you need to have MC's Media Server running.  MC's options let you do this on Windows startup.

park

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2009, 11:16:52 am »

Even when it's running, the green button doesn't switches view modes like it's supposed to.

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2009, 11:19:35 am »

What remote and receiver are you using?  Something basic isn't working.  Other software catching the remote signal?

park

• MC Beta Team

skeeterfood

• We're all just food for the skeeters.
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2009, 10:43:03 pm »

I'm so happy that I finally have a remote than can bring my HTPC into/out of standby with a single button press! :)

I bought a MCE 2005 Remote (MS 1039) off a fellow co-worker who was no longer using it.  I'm actually using my Harmony 550 remote in Vista MCE mode and I'm getting all the buttons from the new Vista remotes (My Music, My Videos, My Pictures...) even with the old receiver.  However, the green start button doesn't seem to work as advertised.

Also, the number keys don't seem to work consistently for jumping to their letters in Thumbnail view (may be in others also).  Although, 1=Home and 0=End seem to work consistently.  I can't for the life of me figure out what * and # do, when they decide to do anything...

All said, you guys have done a great job with the MCE remotes.  I used to use the remote from Hauppauge PVR-150 along with Event Ghost to control MC.  But I got tired of the problems it had failing to start sometimes when resuming from standby.

Any chance we can either have the OK button always bypass the context menu and go into items, or get a second Theater View configuration item for the OK key?  Today they both do whatever is specified in the "Enter key action."  What I want is OK to go into the item and enter to pop up the menu, or vice versa.  I'll just map whichever one goes into the item to the OK button on my Harmony and the one that pops up the menu to the Harmony's Menu button.

I used to have my # key configured to enter "Rating Mode" at which point the following keys worked like this:
Exit (could use Clear on MCE remote) - Exit Rating Mode
1-5 - Set rating directly
Left - Ban (Set rating to 1 and skip to next track.  My random playlists filter out everything below a 2 rating.)
Down - Thumbs Down (set rating to 2)
OK - Default (Set rating to 3.  Everything comes into my library with a rating of 3.)
Up - Thumbs Up (Set rating to 4)
Right - Favorite (Set rating to 5)
# - Exit Rating Mode

I'd love to see the color buttons (Red, Green, Blue, Yellow) get some functions.  Or, even be configurable in the Remote Control settings.

Speaking of which, the Remote control section should show the button configuration for MCE remotes if it detects one.  It seems strange to go into the remote section and see nothing about the MCE remote, but have it work.

-John

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2009, 09:04:15 am »

Just wanted to throw this out there for people who don't want to delete system files in order to beat ehtray.exe.

I'm running Windows 7 so I unfortunately don't know what parts of this are different from Vista - not sure if this works at all with MCE.

You can disable access to VMC by using the Set Program Access and Computer Defaults tool that's built in to Windows. Where it asks you to "Choose a configuration" select "Custom" and expand it to make changes. Under the section labeled "Choose a default media player" you should find Windows Media Center listed. Just clear the checkbox that's labeld "Enable access to this program" and click OK. You don't have to select or change the default media player at all. Just clear that checkbox. And you're done.

If anybody can try this with Vista and/or MCE and let us know if it works there as well, that would be great. If it does, I think it would it would be best if MC stop disabling access to MCE and VMC so that those people who want to use both can, like kevind, and those of us who only want to use MC can by simply following the steps I've outlined above.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2009, 06:06:17 pm »

Just wanted to throw this out there for people who don't want to delete system files in order to beat ehtray.exe.

I'm running Windows 7 so I unfortunately don't know what parts of this are different from Vista - not sure if this works at all with MCE.

You can disable access to VMC by using the Set Program Access and Computer Defaults tool that's built in to Windows. Where it asks you to "Choose a configuration" select "Custom" and expand it to make changes. Under the section labeled "Choose a default media player" you should find Windows Media Center listed. Just clear the checkbox that's labeld "Enable access to this program" and click OK. You don't have to select or change the default media player at all. Just clear that checkbox. And you're done.

This works great on Vista x64 too.  Thanks a lot for the tip Doof.

I manually disabled every Vista Media Center service AND killed all the programs it wants to run at startup (ehtray.exe, etc.).  However, when pressing the Green button, it would still launch VMC (and several other helper programs), and add the registry keys back to run every boot.

This simple change fixes that.  I wonder what it changes, and if it'd be possible for Media Center to do it automatically (or if an option is set)?  I spent quite a bit of time fighting with it and searching Google before finding this thread.

Also, in case anyone is still searching, the control panel widget is called "Set program access and computer defaults" on Windows 7.  You get there by looking at "Default Programs" in Control Panel.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

gallimore

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2009, 03:19:03 pm »

If anybody can try this with Vista and/or MCE and let us know if it works there as well, that would be great. If it does, I think it would it would be best if MC stop disabling access to MCE and VMC so that those people who want to use both can, like kevind, and those of us who only want to use MC can by simply following the steps I've outlined above.
This works as far as it goes on Vista x32, but now I get an annoying dialog box telling me access to MCE is restricted instead of MC13 popping up, arrrggggg how hard can this be. It was better when I had renamed ehtray, at least nothing happened at all then.

BTW this is with build 145 and a Logitech diNovo mini keyboard rather than an MCE remote. If MC13 doesn't have a remote configured does it still try and intercept the media centre key from keyboards?

-stephen

park

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2009, 06:47:39 am »

It's not working for me, but then I had done the renaming of ehtray thing, so maybe that's why. Other than renaming ehtray.exe back to ehtray.exe, is there anything else I need to do to get it back to normal? Once the green button is loading Vista's MCE again, I'll try Doof's solution.

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2009, 06:50:10 am »

If MC13 doesn't have a remote configured does it still try and intercept the media centre key from keyboards?
Yes.  It doesn't require configuring your remote.  It uses a standard MS MC remote.

The XP and Vista remotes aren't interchangeable, so it's possible you've got the wrong one for your OS.

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2009, 07:33:16 am »

It's not working for me, but then I had done the renaming of ehtray thing, so maybe that's why. Other than renaming ehtray.exe back to ehtray.exe, is there anything else I need to do to get it back to normal? Once the green button is loading Vista's MCE again, I'll try Doof's solution.
On my home machine, I removed a lot of eh*** services from Windows startup.  I don't think it's necessary, but it's something you could try.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2009, 02:01:28 am »

I'm not familiar with these types of remotes (I've always just used an X10 remote with Girder to control MC.)  When using these "MSMC" remotes, can you change the behavior of the buttons depending on what application you're currently using?  With my X10 remote and girder I can control more than one program with the same remote -- it simply looks at what program is currently "active" and changes the button assignments appropriately.

Thanks,

Larry
Pages: [1]   Go Up