INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Questions about tagging mood and subgenre; also mp3 ripping  (Read 5636 times)

LTE

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
Questions about tagging mood and subgenre; also mp3 ripping
« on: February 22, 2009, 10:30:33 am »

I have just recently started to get into tagging and smart playlists.  I would like to be able to tag or label songs by mood (e.g., background, party, etc.) and also set up sub-genres (e.g., jazz -- bop, free, etc.).  I have seen some posts about this, but haven't quite figured out how to do it.  In the list of tags, for example, I expected to see something for "mood,"  but it wasn't there.   Any help as to how to create a mood and subgenre tag would be appreciated -- I assume this is pretty easy and I am just missing it. 

Also, I have a license for Media Center 11.  Because I only have a use for the music portion of it, I downloaded MJ12 and have been using that.  In order to rip mp3s with MJ12 do I need to purchase the encoder, or since I already have a license for MC11, would that suffice?  I realize I can do my ripping in MC11, but I would prefer to use just the one program.   

Finally, is there a benefit to upgrading to MC14 over using MJ12 given that I would only be using the music portion of it?

Thanks.

Vectra

• Recent member
Re: Questions about tagging mood and subgenre; also mp3 ripping
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 11:50:20 am »

I have a smilar interest in genre and sub-genre tagging and sorting.  Would we tag GENRE with only one item (i.e. Pop/Rock or Jazz or Classical or Country or R&B) and then create a new tag for SUB-GENRE?  Would this new tag be a modificaiton of an unused tag or a user created tag.     Some hints on who to setup sorting would be of interet.   In many cases I would simply sort on JAZZ and then select artists and albums from there.  In some cases I may want to see just HARD BOB and explode on artists and albums from there.

Would MOOD be just another user created tag?

I assume the MC version is for Theater Mode (great for hand held remote control and display on a Home Theater display) and of course other media like video.

AoXoMoXoA

• Citizen of the Universe
  • I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 12:17:39 pm »

Early on I began using about 12 to 14 general Genres, followed by a 'Styles' tag which would further define within the broad genres. Since I was often undecided as to how to best classify certain artists, I chose to use some other source to define these and chose AMG as my guideline for Genre, Style, and Mood.

Genre is a built-in tag field, but for Styles I made a custom user tag set up as a semi-colon delimited field so I could add multiple items ad see them in MC's handy drop-down list and utilize the nice little check-boxes for selections.

I never did get around to adding Moods, but the rest has worked well for me thus-far.
. . . the game is rigged

Vectra

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 01:13:48 pm »

I'm thinking of doing the following (but open to ideas)

GENRE tag - I believe this can only be one name, so I'm going to tag my music with a few basic genres (Jazz, Classical, R&B, Country, etc.).  I'm not sure if I want to split ROCK between say Oldies, Classic Rock, Alternative/Modern.  That might get messy as some are hard to classify.   Pop/Rock would be the easiest.

SUB-GENRE - seems i need to create a new tag and I'll populate it from a ; delimited list as suggested.   I use AMG as a reference but I don't use all their names.  I need to move my genre tags from '|' delimited list to ";" and in a new tag.

I can then create two sorts:
1.   GENRE sort for basically getting all my Rock and Jazz seperated
        genres-select genre-artists-select artist-albums-select album-songs

2. SUB-GENRE sort for when I want to get more focused (i.e. jangle pop, neo-soul, female vocals, blues-rock, etc.).
       subgenre-select subgenre-artists-select artist-albums-select album-songs

I haven't thought about moods yet....ie party, mellow, exercise....perhaps genre is close enough....or I'll just make some playlists for that purpose.

i do want to clean-up my tags so I don't have some under "folk-rock" and others under "folk rock".

Genre is complicated.   At a minimum I want to be able to see just my JAZZ or just my CLASSICAL w/o having them diluted within my volume of ROCK.

andrewt

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 02:20:38 pm »

If you don't have very many sub-genres, you could just separate them using "|" like Rock|Alternative, Classical|Baroque, etc... then you don't have to deal with more than 1 tag... that's what I do at least
Pages: [1]   Go Up