INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: InACcurate BPM???  (Read 3233 times)

accanada

• Recent member
InACcurate BPM???
« on: March 01, 2009, 10:41:36 am »

I dont know much about much but I do know the the Tragically Hip Wheat kings does not have a BPM of 160.  in some cases I notice that the BPM needs o be halved or doubled..  is there an accuate bpm software program out there?  I used Mixmeister than the one i thought were off i reanalyzed with MC.  Problem is I dont know wat i can trust?

Im attepmting to use the BPM so I can then use that info to catergozise my libray with slow songs, fast songs etc based on the BPM.

Comments, thoughts?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: InACcurate BPM???
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 11:05:46 am »

You could rerun the analyzer during office hours.   ;)

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=42323.0
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

MrHaugen

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 02:56:21 pm »

Sometimes it's just inacurate. Every few tracks get's way off the real BPM numbers. The analyzer just picks up the wrong set of beat I guess.
I use to put it in different smartlists my self. When I find some tracks not fitting in the smartlist I manually change the BPM.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

gappie

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 05:01:21 pm »

the thing is, that you can have a song in a tempo, but the drummer or bass player plays half or double time, the software doesnt know who to trust...

:)
gab

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
  • Fight! You may win. If you don't, you already lost
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 12:42:13 pm »

For the dancing lessons I have some songs (~1600) with given BPM infos. I just compared them with MCs analyzed BPMs and only 26 of ~1600 are analyzed correctly. I used this expression for comparing: IsEqual([BPM], [BPM CD], 2).

gappie

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 03:17:21 pm »

For the dancing lessons I have some songs (~1600) with given BPM infos. I just compared them with MCs analyzed BPMs and only 26 of ~1600 are analyzed correctly. I used this expression for comparing: IsEqual([BPM], [BPM CD], 2).
hey StFeder, out of interest. because it does intrigue me as somebody trying to make music my whole life as far as i remember. do you see any pattern in how they are different. what i mean is that we can easely hear a 4/4 where for instance the bass only plays on the 1 and 2 and three and four and. or some south american rhythm in 2/2 where we hear the beats, but sometimes they are suggested by silence and sincopation or the clave is doing some intriguing rhythm. we will still feel the beat. but how hard it is for us southamericans and euro-americans to hear the 7/8 in some standard song from the balkan or turkey, or even to count it.

so do you see a pattern?

gab

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
  • Fight! You may win. If you don't, you already lost
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 07:17:47 pm »

Maybe there are some pattern... I'm not sure what I should look for. Does it help if I give a list to you with all bpm and dance infos? You can find it here: http://rapidshare.com/files/204626939/BPM_Compare.xls. If you need some more information to get what you are looking for, I'll try to give it.

MrHaugen

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 09:17:58 am »

My impression is that the analyzer picks up the high pitched or high notes backgroud beat way to often. Songs often have a higher note background beat and a slow and lower note foreground beat. You can have fast cymbal sounds (or what ever) in the background, and low bass beats wich the user really think of as the actual BPM. This is also reflected in the fact that almost all the songs that are analyzed wrong (in my library) get a to high BPM number. It's not often the other way around.

gappie

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2009, 11:50:34 am »

thanks StFeder.. ill let you know..

Mr Haugen, i think its more complicated. when it would take the bass beats as a guide, than in your standard Boom-Chick-Boom-Chick music it would get half the bmp. im not disputing anything, its just that i think its more complex, because the rhythm as we hear it can be dependend from a lot of factors. think about the double bass drumms in heavy metal... so much depends also on the genre or tradition from which the music comes...

i think it is interesting.  8)

gab

MrHaugen

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2009, 05:32:43 pm »

Offcourse it's more complicated. If this was the only problem it would probably have been solved a long time ago. I just wanted to tell you all what I think happend to a few of my tracks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up