INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need Help with Simple WHS Setup with MC 12  (Read 2340 times)

hoclau

• Recent member
Need Help with Simple WHS Setup with MC 12
« on: March 06, 2009, 12:53:28 am »

I'm still running MC 12 because I use a special importer for it in Meedio on my HTPC that doesn't work with 13.

I am building a Windows Home Server box, and I read through the threads I could find on here regarding MC 12 and WHS.  I've read about the shortcomings of MC 12 when trying to use it as a client-server.

This is what I would like to do:

Note:  I only use MC for music, and I don't care about syncing playcounts or anything fancy.  I only care about the tags entered/edited from 1 PC on the network.

My computers:
 - WHS Server
 - Desktop PC
 - HTPC
 - 2 Laptops

What I want:
 - MC 12 Library Server runs 24/7 on WHS.
 - Laptop and HTPC MC clients always connect to Server in read-only mode.
 - Desktop PC always connects to Server in read-write mode.  This is where the only editing will be done.

My questions:
1.  Is a "Shared Library" the correct approach for this?
2.  Is there a way to always start MC connected to the WHS library in read-only mode from a client?
3.  Is there a way to always start MC from my Desktop PC in read-write mode?

If the answer to my questions is no and this approach is not possible, can you recommend a different but simple approach to what I am trying to do?

Can I simply keep separate libraries on the Desktop PC and on the Server pointing to the same music files on the Server?  Then I could use the Desktop PC to edit my tags (saving to the files themselves), and the Server MC will pick up these tag changes if I set it to "Watch Folder"?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
Re: Need Help with Simple WHS Setup with MC 12
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 11:04:47 pm »

I have a bunch of PC's / HTPC and a WHS.  I keep my files all on one share (could be the WHS for example) and run MC13 on the HTPC reading the files over the network instead of the local disk.  Nice and simple but I know others prefer to use the Server.
JRiver CEO Elect
Pages: [1]   Go Up