INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Strange sort behaviour in Theater View filepath  (Read 1539 times)

stricko

• Galactic Citizen
Strange sort behaviour in Theater View filepath
« on: March 16, 2009, 02:55:47 pm »

OK, so I'm still migrating from XP MCE, and I'm not making much use of video tags. I've a whole bunch of videos of various TV series episodes grouped into a folder per series. These are typical type files with filenames like "brothers.and.sisters.s03e17.hdtv.xvid-caph.avi".

I've set up a filepath view which looks looks at the directory for all videos, and it has Location (root) in the Details box. Editing this item, it has no File Path and the only setting is Sorting : Ascending.

Navigaing through this filepath, all of the folders and subfolders are nicely sorted, but when I get to a the bottem level, the files themselves appear to be in some strange random sequence.

Any idea what is happening here or how I get the files into a proper sequence? 

stricko

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Strange sort behaviour in Theater View filepath
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 01:53:52 am »

OK, I've done a bit more digging. I thought it might be the full stops in the filenames that caused the problem, but removing them did not help. Checked some other directories and got very inconsistent results. I've a bunch of directories of home videos, by year, and then nice clean file names with a numerical prefix, like "02 Zoo Trip.mpg". In the same filepath view, some directories show up nicely in filename sequence, other don't. Some have a nice sequence break 07-21, and then 01-06, others are more random.

And then I notice that some complete sub-directories are missing. I try to add the individual folders, but the root directory is already there. No exclusions, no ignore previously deleted.

I'm starting to wonder if I should be re-building my whole database....   

EDIT, so I gave that a try, and the missing directory problem has gone, but the strange sequence issue still remains. A bit more digging identified that the file are in date created sequence.

So, how do I get the a filepath view to show me files in filename sequence? I've tried changing the Settings on the filepath to Name, but that doesn't seem to have any effect?

)p(

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 04:05:31 am »

Did you try this:
options>theaterview>select item in the hierarchy
Under details click on "Set rules for display"
In the popup select under modify rules "Sort by"

peter

stricko

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 06:26:04 am »

Many thanks, that did the trick

To be honest, I've never really been too sure when to use the Sort in Set Rules For Display, and Sort under View Scheme Item. Thinking about it, I guess the clue is in the description.....
Pages: [1]   Go Up