INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Crash with solid state disc and Windows 7 [solved -- a virus checker did it]  (Read 16366 times)

SiGuy

• Recent member

I'm seeing a few seconds of corrupted audio playback immediately followed by Blue Screen crashes using MC13 .140 & .143 with Win7.  The BSOD reports an illegal operation in kl1.sys.

My system is stable with Win7 unless I"m using MC13 to playback audio.  Crash occurs within seconds of MC13 changing from one track to another 100% of the time.  I've been collecting MC log files & will send them if requested

I've used MC since MC10 and this particular PC runs MC without problem.  The only change on this machine is installing a new SSD, installing win7 as the only OS on that SSD, and using a fresh install of MC13 with win7.  I've done tests (outlined below) and believe the SSD is not related to this failure.

At this point, my conclusion is that the problem is caused by some action MC takes at the start of audio playback of a new track after a track change.  MC13 .140 & .143 are the only media players I've found that cause any crash on win7 on this system.  MC13 playback of images appears fine. 

System Configuration:
CPU:             Intel QX9770
Motherboard:  DFI LanParty P45 T2RS Plus
RAM:             4GB
Video:           NVidia 7600GT
Boot Drive:     80GB Intel X25-M (25GB Partition for Win7 with 12GB free, two other partitions empty)
HDD:             2 SATA drives (Win7 Swap on one SATA drive)
Removable:    SATA DVD RW, PATA DVD RW
O/S:             Win7 Ultimate/x64 (Build 7000)

Debug & Failure Information:
* playback of unprotected content (MP3, OGG, WAV) from network drive (Crash within ~10min of start)
* playback of images (JPG) no audio from network drive -- no problem
* changing visualization has no improvement
* system screensaver disabled -- no improvement
* playback from Pandora.com -- no problem
* playback from Windows Media Player (local HDD, network, local SSD) -- no problem
* windows swap moved from SSD to SATA HDD, no improvement
* changed playback mode from DirectSound to WASAPI, no improvement
* let machine sit idle with MC13 open but no playback active -- no crash
* copy content from network to local SSD using explorer -- Crash within ~5sec of playback start
* playback content from local HDD -- Crash within 5sec of track change

Conclusion:
* something related MC13 action after a track change on Win7 causes BSOD on this system configuration.
* problem is not media file, audio , network , or storage subsystem related

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Crash with solid state disc and Windows 7
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 06:27:59 pm »

A Blue Screen is usually a hardware or driver issue.

In my signature, there is a link to a wiki entry on stability issues.  That's a good place to start.

I had a bad couple of weeks when I was using an SSD as my boot drive recently.   When I replaced it with a Seagate 1.5 TB drive, life was good again.

MC uses the disk heavily.  Logging, for instance.

So far, the stories we've heard about Windows 7 are pretty good.  That's a less likely cause, in my opinion.

Dirhael

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 06:31:28 pm »

Try disabling or remove Kaspersky (or whatever AV/Security package you're using with the Kaspersky engine) and see if it now works. There isn't really any way an application like MC should be able to cause a bluescreen by itself. Searching Google for "kl1.sys bsod" shows that there are other users out there that has Kaspersky crash their Win7 installations.
:: My J​RMC history :: 13>14>15> 16>17>18>19>20>21>23>24>25>26>27>28>29>30>31

SiGuy

• Recent member
Re: [Solved] Crash with solid state disc and Windows 7
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2009, 06:40:25 pm »

Searching for kl1.sys & windows 7 was the key...

I was using Kaspersky AV for win7, and many other users were reporting BSOD with kl1.sys as the symptom. 

The only application I ever saw any problem with was MC13 during audio playback, so this really looked like an MC or MC interacting with my hardware on win7 problem.

I removed KAV and installed ESET beta 4, and MC13 is happy now.  No crashes or signs of problems.

Sorry for the false alarm & thanks for the quick responses!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2009, 06:44:48 pm »

It was an excellent bug report.  Just delivered to the wrong party.  ;)

cmonster

Hello,

I hope I'm not beating a dead horse with this question. I'm researching this program and have been very pleased with what I have read so far. This issue with Kaspersky is one of two curiosities I'm pondering...

Will the documented problem occur constantly with KAV no matter what? That is a very big concern personally since it has been the best performing AV program I've used...so far. I'm curious if the set-up of the original post's author was the contributing factor. I have a basic out-of-the-box Gateway with no upgrades and use KAV for protection. It looked like he had done some cool upgrades with his system at a scanning glance of his message.

The other eyebrow raiser for me deals with the need for iTunes to still be installed on my laptop, but this particular forum isn't the right place to ask about that. Ideally I'd like to completely nuke iTunes, Quicktime, Bon Jour, and that whole mess since Apple/Mac software doesn't run well on PCs.....and please don't get me wrong. I like Macs as well as PC, except neither company's programs play nicely with each other. I have use for both OS.

If anybody replies to the KAV question or the other one briefly mentioned, thank you very kindly in advance. I'd really enjoy this media program according to what I've read the past several days. For $50, I want to make darn sure what I purchase is the best possible option for my music library and media needs.

Best Regards to all,
-Cmonster
Frisbeetarianism: The philosophy that when you die, your soul goes up on a roof and gets stuck. (George Carlin)
Pages: [1]   Go Up