INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Portable MC install on desktop, Pro's & Con's?  (Read 1268 times)

AoXoMoXoA

• Citizen of the Universe
  • I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
Portable MC install on desktop, Pro's & Con's?
« on: March 25, 2009, 10:13:42 am »

I was wondering, would using a "portable" install of Media Center on one of my media drives in my PC be advantageous?

It seems that you would easily be able to back-up and recreate the install since all necessary data appears to be saved in the portable install rather than in the registry or in the user data branch on the C-drive.

My interest in this idea stems form an occaisional need to reinstall the OS on the system drive, and wishing to avoid the need to reinstall and setup MC all over again. In this vein I have taken to installing any program which will allow it onto a seperate drive from the OS and have sucessfully returned them to use without a reinstall after an OS reinstall. Backups of these programs has become much simpler as they are all located in sub-folders of a folder for this purpose. (some I have done this with at various times: DC++, VibeStreamer, Maxthon, Foobar, MP3Gain, FLACtester, EAC, etc)
I expect after an OS reinstall that you would simply click on the icon for the portable install and be back up and running as if nothing had changed.

Is my understanding correct?
Are there any disadvantages that I am overlooking?
. . . the game is rigged

Lasse_Lus

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Portable MC install on desktop, Pro's & Con's?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 10:34:11 am »

concept "portable" rules  :), but i think you may be in trouble if you use MC13.exe and some plugins
MT5FR
Pages: [1]   Go Up