INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Peak Level Display  (Read 803 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Peak Level Display
« on: March 29, 2009, 08:47:49 pm »

The [Peak Level] field is great and everyone should take a moment to look their library over based on it.  If I understand it correctly, it reveals the maximum volume in a song.  Hip, contemporary music will often hit 99%!  Older, classical, and more dynamic music might only peak at 90%.

Now I have participated in discussions on dynamic range and pointed out that I still think songs should peak at 100% (or close to) but should not be manually limited once a peak is met and should also AVERAGE much lower.  If your song peaks at 80% but averages 78%, that seems like horrible range!  I think an ideal song would max at 99%, average 80% and that means hitting 60% (most likely).  Dynamic range discussions are always interesting because it's our chance to assess musical engineering of the day... :(

Now my question: in the DSP studio there is a live max percentage that updates throughout the song.  I would like to add this to MC somewhere.  If I add [Peak Level] to the upper display area, it is only the entire song peak level (makes sense).  Is there a way to pick up the live peak level as MC calculates it?  The graphic level meters (left & right) can imply loud or quiet but are difficult to read considering the total volume over all.

YAMCR
Yet Another Media Center Request
Pages: [1]   Go Up