INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using the "Filename (friendly)" Field to Rename Images  (Read 4544 times)

Skeezix

• Galactic Citizen
Using the "Filename (friendly)" Field to Rename Images
« on: April 03, 2009, 11:14:34 am »

I have several hundred digital photos taken over the last 3 years all depicting various work scenes in my neighborhood. They are currently named as the digital camera named them (i.e. DSCN####) and many duplicates exist. My job is to catalog and tag the files in MC13, then rename them using the info in the "Filename (friendly)" field. That should result in few, if any, duplicate file names.

Is this something I can do readily in MC13? I've used MC13 a long time for cataloging MP3s, but the "Filename (friendly)" field is new to me. Does it exist as a named field or is it a concatenation of multiple fields?
* HP Pavilion Desktop 510-p114
* Windows 10 Home 22H2 19045.3996
* Firefox 122; Thunderbird 115.6.1

pank2002

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Using the "Filename (friendly)" Field to Rename Images
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 11:59:33 am »

You can use FormatDate. On the wiki it described as:
FormatDate(...): Formats a date value in a specified manner.

Value: the date to format
Formatting: formatting style

Year: 1997
    Month: March
    Day: 12
    Filename: 20040521-032221
    Elapsed: 3.2 days ago
    Other: flexible formatting (i.e. yy-MMMM-dd)

No Date Output: the output when the date is empty (optional: defaults to nothing)

Examples:                     
   FormatDate([Date Imported, 0], elapsed)
   FormatDate([Date, 0], MMMM: d, no date)

I don't know if that answears your question. . .
Music is life... the rest is details.
Here is a security related website: secubi.dk

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 12:24:09 pm »

[Date (filename friendly)] is probably a better choice as it incorporates the seconds value, and as such, is highly unlikely that any duplicate filenames will occur.

1st April 2009 14:21:05 returns a date (filename friendly) of: 20090401-142105

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 12:54:22 pm »

[Date (filename friendly)] is a fantastic field to name your photos from. I first highlight all of my pictures and populate the [Name] field with data from the [Date (filename friendly)] field. Then I have a View Scheme which uses a a ~dup=[Name] ~sort=[Name] rule to show me all of the images with the same Name. I set it up as a Panes & Thumbnails view, and Group By [Name]. This way I can scan through the list of possible duplicate images and confirm that they are in fact duplicates of the same image before deleting or renaming anything.

Occasionally I run into images that have the same value, which are in fact different images. This usually occurs when I've used my camera in its rapid shoot mode. In those cases, I also set the [track #] field so that they're in order and then name them all [Date (filename friendly)]-[track #].

maxxsid

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 02:32:54 am »

Hi Doof,
I feel stupid but I cannot find an easy way to auto-rename to [Date (filename friendly)]-[track #]...
How do you do this?
TIA!
--max
p.s. I did it by creating a custom db field with [Date (filename friendly)]-[track #] expression and then copying it to [Name] - is this the right way to do it?

[Date (filename friendly)] is a fantastic field to name your photos from. I first highlight all of my pictures and populate the [Name] field with data from the [Date (filename friendly)] field. Then I have a View Scheme which uses a a ~dup=[Name] ~sort=[Name] rule to show me all of the images with the same Name. I set it up as a Panes & Thumbnails view, and Group By [Name]. This way I can scan through the list of possible duplicate images and confirm that they are in fact duplicates of the same image before deleting or renaming anything.

Occasionally I run into images that have the same value, which are in fact different images. This usually occurs when I've used my camera in its rapid shoot mode. In those cases, I also set the [track #] field so that they're in order and then name them all [Date (filename friendly)]-[track #].
Pages: [1]   Go Up