INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DVD Library Question  (Read 5396 times)

cmonache

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
DVD Library Question
« on: April 17, 2009, 03:42:28 am »

I used to use ealier versions of Media Center (8,9,10).
I have been away for awhile and mostly used to play audio files in the past.
I have all of my DVD's backed up to my hard drive. Is there a way to import the
the video_TS.ifo files only without all of the other files in the DVD directory being imported?
I am trying to import about 20 DVD folders but end up getting about 157 files in the library.

What is the cleanest method?

Thanks,

Chris

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: DVD Library Question
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 05:42:26 am »

I attached a screenshot of the import settings that should work. I just tested them and MC imported only the eight DVD video movies I have in eight separate H:\Video\[name]\VIDEO_TS\ folders. (The H:\Video\ base folder contains 709 files and 109 subfolders in total.)

Just open the "Tools > Import Folder..." window, click the "Advanced" button and tick only the DVD Video (ifo,vob) file/media type. You can also tick the "Add this folder to the auto-import list" option if you wish, but if you are not adding new DVDs all the time you may prefer to run the import manually when appropriate.

(You must be logged in to the forum to see the attachment.)

EDIT

I assume you can play standard DVD discs without problems. If that does not work you may need to configure the DVD playback settings and possibly install additional DirectShow filters first.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

HTPC4ME

• LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 04:11:39 pm »

i have a question in regards to dvd's as well, i'm just starting to back mine up and i'm curious how i get the dvd names to show up in media center? they all show up as Video_TS.. do i need to rename al the video_ts files to the movie names?

and one last question dvd cvers? do i put all my foder.jpg's into the video_ts folders? or how are you all doing your covers?

TY.

ronron

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 02:14:03 pm »

I have the same problem.  All videos are name Video_TS.  using MC12, it works corectly, the name of the folder becomes the name of the video.  Help please

HTPC4ME

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 10:54:10 pm »

anyone please?

have them backed up now, but still wondering the proper way to rename the Video_TS. for all dvd's

and also how do all of you put your cover arts in? do you rename them all folder.jpg?

TY

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 01:44:08 am »

This was already in my previous reply:

[name]\VIDEO_TS\

For instance:  ...\Blade Runner The Final Cut\VIDEO_TS\

Naturally you can also tag the name field manually.

Regarding to the cover art images, MC should find them if they are inside the VIDEO_TS folders. The filename should be either folder.jpg or DVDVideo - [Name].jpg  (for instance: DVDVideo - Blade Runner The Final Cut.jpg) depending on your chosen cover art location option. Though, the "quick find" tool can link any jpg image if the folder contains only one image file.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Daydream

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2009, 02:10:43 am »

Alex B beat me to it. :)

I can't delete one of my own posts? Hmm...

YannisA

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2009, 03:53:14 am »

Click on the reel icon and then click on Tag.
At the lower left pane, find Name: VIDEO_TS and click on it to edit it (input the DVD Title).
For the cover art, Right-ckick on the reel icon and select Cover Art > Add from file.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2009, 04:37:40 am »

Click on the reel icon and then click on Tag.
At the lower left pane, find Name: VIDEO_TS and click on it to edit it (input the DVD Title).

That's the manual way. It also possible to list video files in a details view and tag directly in the field cells (you can create additional video views with different view setups). This is very useful because you can easily see all important field values in several files and mass edit them. Here is my old reply that explains how I tag files in a list view:

I have been thinking how I could demonstrate my usual tagging style. Here is a try:

The task:

Import subtitle files from the video file folder. The video files are already imported and partially tagged. Tag all files properly and rename the disk files.

How-to:

1. Select the files in Windows Explorer and drag them to Playing Now.

The Playing Now list looks like this at this stage:

2. Click the artist column (in the file area) > press Ctrl+A > press F2 > press Enter
=> Result: all files have the Artist field filled as "Keeping Up Appearances".

a) Click the Name field of the first file, press Shift (keep pressed) + Down Arrow two times, press F2, press Enter
=> Result: the first three files have the Name field filled as "S01E01 - Daddy's Accident".

b) Press Down Arrow once, press Shift (keep pressed) + Down Arrow two times, press F2, press Enter
=> Result: the next three files have the Name field filled as "S01E02 - The Christening".

c) Repeat the step 3.b) four times for fixing the rest of the names.

4. Click the album column, press Ctrl+A, press F2, write the album name (Series 1) and press enter
=> Result: all files have the Album field filled as "Series 1"

5. Click the Date column, press Ctrl+A, press F2, write the correct year (1990) and press Enter
=> Result: all files have the Date field filled as "1990"

6. Click the File Type column header to reorder the files. Click the first AVI file on the Genre column, press Shift (keep pressed) + Down Arrow five times, press F2, Write "Co" (MC suggests Comedy), press Enter, press Down Arrow once, press Shift+End, press F2, Write "Su" (MC suggests Subtitles), press Enter.
=> Result: all AVI files have the Genre field filled as "Comedy" and all IDX & RAR files have the Genre field filled as "Subtitles"

7. All subtitle files are still selected. Press Shift (keep pressed) + Up Arrow six times (to select only the IDX files), use the "Fill Track Numbers From List Order" tool, press Down Arrow once, press Shift+End (to select only the RAR files), use the "Fill Track Numbers From List Order" tool.
=> Result: all subtitle files have correct track numbers.

8. Press CTRL+A and right-click import.

9. Use the Rename Files From Properties tool.

The end result:

This kind of tagging process takes only a few seconds of my time. The shortcuts have become intuitive to me so I don't need to think about the key combinations.

-- The renaming tool in #9 has been redesigned. It is now called "Rename, Move, & Copy Files".

For the cover art, Right-ckick on the reel icon and select Cover Art > Add from file.

It also possible to select the video file, open "Action Window > Tag > Image" (click the small thumbnail in Tag to open the Image Window) and simply drag and drop cover art from Windows Explorer to the Image window inside MC.

I usually arrange a Windows Explorer window and MC side by side for dragging & dropping the images.

EDIT

A request to JRiver:

Please, allow to use track numbers with any media type. My old video, document and image track numbers are still in the database, but they cannot be used because the Track Number field is flagged to be available only with audio files. (Currently it is only possile to show them in certain views, like in Playing Now and in playlists)

HTPC4ME

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2009, 10:19:21 pm »

hi alex for clarification please...

This was already in my previous reply:

[name]\VIDEO_TS\

For instance:  ...\Blade Runner The Final Cut\VIDEO_TS\

all of my movies are like this...
D drive\blade runner\ then a videos TS and Audio TS folder. and inside they are all labelled video ts or vts.... are you saying i need to rename the first video ts file to Blade Runner The Final Cut\VIDEO_TS\ ?

or am i set up properlly?
if so when i import all movies from the d drive 40 of them in jriver they all say Video_TS.. so i have no clue what they are. do i need to tell jriver to show a diffrent name or something maybe? sorry for my ignorance.
TY

4BYE

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2009, 12:15:14 am »

Hello,

I don't want to get in Alex's way but here's what I do:

I rip a DVD in folder "The Sound of Music". In that folder I will get a "VIDEO_TS" and "AUDIO_TS" folder.
In the "VIDEO_TS" folder I place a "folder.jpg" with the movie poster on it. (mine are 300x430 px and find most posters on impawards.com)

Then I import them into MC and get the new imported ones in my library. I select the imported files, right click them, and use "library tools" - "fill properties from filename..." and select "directories" and fill it with "[Album]\VIDEO_TS". That way you get the name that is in the folder above "VIDEO_TS".

(If you have .avi in a folder select the second option and use [Album])

Now here's a trick I use (because I have a lot of DVD's backed up):

I use also a "title" tag. ("[Title]\VIDEO_TS".) The "title" tag I use for showing it in my library, but the "album" tag is for sorting. This is handy when you have a serie like "Deadwood" with f.e. 12 episodes. (I have a folder "Deadwood Season 1", a subfolder "01. The Beginning" wit subfolders "VIDEO_TS" and "AUDIO_TS". (In each "VIDEO_TS" a folder.jpg). When I import them and "fill properties from filename..." I get "01. The Beginning", "02. Deep Water" etc. I select the episodes and change the "album" tag to "Deadwood". I use also the tags "Season" and "Series". (Season: Season 1/Series: Deadwood etc.) In my view it shows:
[Series] [Season]
[Title]
[Year]

That is sorted through:

album (a-z)
series (a-z)
season (a-z)
title (a-z)
year (a-z)

This gives a great view in my library window.

The reason I show the "title" tag but sort with the "album" tag is that with follow ups from movies I can put them in the right order, and like the series example I have them all sorted under 'Deadwood". The "Alien" series "album" tags are "Alien 1" , "Alien 2" etc. where the titles would have sorted different.

I know there will be plenty of other ways, but this works for me.

All the best,

Theo

HTPC4ME

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2009, 07:49:00 am »

thanks for the reply.. it will help me alot :) and save me alot of time and headaches!

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2009, 04:10:54 pm »

Actually my advice wasn't complete. Apparently the rule [Name]\VIDEO_TS\ must also be present in the options, in Options > File Location > Video > DVD ripping tolder rule, before the automatic name detection can work. Then MC should be able to automatically fill the Name field value from the folder name when new DVD videos are imported using the auto-importer.

For some reason it does not work when a DVD folder is dragged to MC or when the "Update Library (from tags)" command is issued.

The same folder rule works with the "Fill Properties From Filename..." tool if you want to use it. (Tick only the Directories option and paste the rule there.)

HTPC4ME

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2009, 04:24:16 pm »

ok thanks for the points alex.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2009, 09:51:40 am »

hi Theo and Alex B

I first tried your tips theo. and i couldnt seem to get the names to change they were all stuck at VIDEO_ts. then i incorporate what you said with Alex's B's [Name]\VIDEO_TS\ and all of them changed...

what is the reason for that? just for mine and others knowledge.
TY for the help :)

My JRiver is cleaning up and looking nice :)

HTPC4ME

« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2009, 10:08:18 am »

also.... i just noticed and not sure if its a glitch in jriver or not... but after doign your guys steps. have you noticed if you right click one of the video_ts folders u have renamed in jriver and choose locate on disk. jriver tells you it doesnt exsist?

how i found that out was. many of my dvd's were 2 Disc DVD's so when i made the folder example. Music Videos\C\The Cure\ DVD-1 and then i have another folder called DVD-2. i tried right clicking, locate on disk, so i could change the name DVD-1 , DVD-2 to The Cure DVD-1, the Cure DVD-2

4BYE

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2009, 03:03:20 pm »

That's right, it's the same thing I have... But when you hold the mouse over a thumbnail it shows the correct drive.

There's also a problem with library server not playing the DVD's. It seems it has something to do with streaming not possible this way. I now use MC for the library and copy the files to an USB stick and play it through the other computer or my new Western Digital Media Player. The strange thing is that in my browser I go to network, find the right movie and then I can play it with every player I want. There must be a work-around for playing through library server that way.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2009, 03:13:09 pm »

Well that ive not tried, but will connect to my library via lappy tonight and see if i have that issue too. i sure hope not cause it would be nice fo rothers in the house to wath what they wanted to seperate from the main machine\server

4BYE

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2009, 12:54:00 am »

That's why I bought MC for! On the other hand the development of various Media Players (hardware) make it much more interesting to use them. I don't have to use 2 computers and only use that small Western Digital Media Player (in my case) and I can play from HD or USB stick. It has a remote control and plays vob, avi, mkv and also music and images. For the extracted DVD's I do use MC for library purposes, were I have actors, directors, genre, year, poster-thumbs etc. So far the WD Media Player does a good job, and is still updated. There are other brands too, but from what I found the WD plays the files I want. (also HD mkv)
Pages: [1]   Go Up