INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: The DJ's Feature Request Thread  (Read 42172 times)

tunetyme

• Galactic Citizen
  • Have tunes will travel
Re: The DJ's Feature Request Thread
« Reply #100 on: September 02, 2009, 10:43:30 pm »

Perhaps you could post five popular songs that you think BPM is getting wrong?

Thanks.

Matt:

I don’t do hip-hop or some of the more recent music.  I’ve put together a list from 3 different sources for BPM.  MC, Mixmeister, and Rapid Evolution (Mixshare).  I have chosen 3 genres of music; Rock, Jazz and Classical to get a balanced look at the BPM.  I’ve decided to submit this to all three providers.  Both Mixshare Rapid Evolution and Mixmeister BPM calculator are free so you can download them and work with your own files.  Both MC and Rapid Evolution work with flac files but I have to convert to a WAV for Mixmeister.  If you like, I can upload all the files I used for the test.  This is not an exhaustive sampling but a few chosen by their various tempos.

Rapid
Artist                 Song                               MC                 Mixmeister               Evolution
Rock                        
ABBA                   One Of Us                        164                     82.32                  43.13
Adams, Bryan        Heat Of The Night              85                      87.4                    43.7
Aerosmith             Kings And Queens               61                     124.44                 48.58
Allman Brothers      Ramblin' Man                     85                      90.16                  44.6
America                A Horse With No Name        93                      124.65                124.2
Animals, The          House of the Rising Sun     117                     117.62                 47.6
Alabama               Tennessee River                142                      96.6                   96.7

Jazz                        
Acoustic Alchemy               Columbia              122                    122.61                 61.71
Adderley, Cannonball          Autumn Leaves      111                    112.04                 55.72
Alpert, Herb                      Spanish Flea          162                    162.15                81.47
Armstrong, Louis                Muskrat Ramble      85                       88.05                46.93
Barbieri, Gato                    Adios - Part I         84                     107.46                 65.45

Classical                        
Albinoni, Tomaso                Adagio                100                      110.36                43.36
Bach                  The Well Tempered Clavier     98                      148.6                  56.91
Bach, Johann Sebastian      Air on a G String    110                      112.67                50.42
Barber, Samuel                  Adagio For Strings   86                      139                    42.78
Beethoven, Ludwig van       Fur Elise                84                      119.91                44.62

I hope this helps.

Keep in mind when you are beat mixing a 5-6% bpm shift in the beat will cause a change in the key you hear the music.  That's one of the reasons the getting BPM right is so important.  When you listen to the Jazz and Classical I think Rapid Evolution (RE) appears to give the best results.  RE also provides a means for you to tap out the beat for yourself if you are not sure.  That is not one of my talents so I haven't done it.  I will talk to one of my musician friends and see if they will do the manual testing for me.  If I am successful I will post the results for you.

Tunetyme

Doberman

• Recent member
« Reply #101 on: September 03, 2009, 12:03:13 pm »

I would still very much like to see (or have explained to me if I've missed it) a way to tell in the library pane which songs have been placed into the now playing pane.

hit_ny

• Citizen of the Universe
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #102 on: September 03, 2009, 01:32:49 pm »

Don't believe its possible to do exactly what you want but how about NOT displaying in the library view what currently exists in PN. Would that work ?

Your idea is helpful if the playlist was very long and would save on going back and forth between PN & a library tab.

Welcome to Interact :)

Doberman

• Recent member
« Reply #103 on: September 09, 2009, 05:02:05 pm »

Don't believe its possible to do exactly what you want but how about NOT displaying in the library view what currently exists in PN. Would that work ?

Your idea is helpful if the playlist was very long and would save on going back and forth between PN & a library tab.

So you're suggesting a custom Library view that doesn't display items which are in the Now Playing view?  I assume that must be possible?  :)  

That's not NEARLY an optimal substitute for what I want, but it would be better than nothing, I suppose.  Thanks for the suggestion.

melkiades

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #104 on: October 14, 2010, 12:59:24 am »

Hi guys,

I just read this whole thread and it contains a lot the things I've been wishing for when doing gigs using MC.
For me, the main reason to have DJ features in MC is that even the best DJ softwares out there are built with people who are clueless about User Experience (UX) and User Interface (UI) design.
For example, Virtual DJ has a very tiny window to browse your library that is annoying to use.  Traktor has super tiny controls and crammed up screens.

The MC team has done a great application and I think that:

1. they've reached a level where the user base doesn't need new features for playing and managing their media libraries.  At one point you have to learn to reduce the amount of features instead of adding more until the end of eternity.  This is what irrelevant Microsoft did with their bloatware - it will contribute, in part, to their  death (something I can't wait to see happen).

2. because of what I pointed out in 1., MC needs to attract a whole new user base.  The DJ module is where they could excel, use their talent, build something unique and revolutionary, where the one advantage of this application (database management) is mixed with DJ'ing features to produce something new.  Don't create another app, add a DJ'ing module.

I'd like to know also what would prevent a third-party developer to create a DJ plugin for MC with the wishlist features published here?  Could we find some talented programmer here and start this project on our own, if the MC team is not interested?

Also, even though off-topic, I'm still wondering what the heck is JRiver waiting for to port MC to Linux.  This great program is the *only* reason why I still use Windows!!!

Cheers to all,
Melkiades

benjy

• Recent member
« Reply #105 on: May 02, 2014, 06:01:39 pm »

Request:

Allow the user the ability to toggle the following on a per-zone basis:

• disable automatic increment of Number Plays
  • disable automatic increment of Skip Count
  • disable automatic updating of Last Played
  • disable automatic updating of Last Skipped

I don't care if the setting toggles all of them or allows them to be toggled individually. For my uses, they would all be enabled or disabled together.

Problem and Rationale:

When previewing tracks while live DJing or putting together a set list before a performance, one does not want the stats on the previewed files to be updated. A lot of skipping around and sampling is expected. Playing whole songs is also expected. However, doing so is detrimental if that activity updates the attributes listed above because it destroys their use in other situations.

For example, if a DJ tries to "keep it fresh" by having smartlists set up that only include songs that have not been played within a certain timeframe, the act of live previewing and building set lists will destroy the usefulness of those smartlists. It is also currently impossible to have clean smartlists for "overplayed" and "recently popular" due to stats pollution during preview activity.

The same goes if the DJ is performing ad-hoc searches that key off of the Last Played attribute. If the DJ uses the play count to choose between two songs, having that stat polluted by previewing activity makes it less useful.

Likewise, since previewing involves a lot of skipping around, anything within MC that uses skip counts and times (as an indicator of "crappiness" for example) will also be working with polluted data.

Solution:

When previewing and building set lists, a DJ can use a particular zone which disables the listed attributes.

Thanks!

PS: Please move this topic to the latest Media Center thread. I will have a few more requests coming, and it seems like it is better to continue this thread than to start a new one.

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #106 on: May 02, 2014, 10:27:45 pm »

Disabling stats would fit nicely into the Audio > Alternate Mode settings and toggling.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

laerm

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #107 on: June 07, 2014, 11:48:25 pm »

I, too, would like to have stats disabled for exactly the same reason. Doing so from Alternate Mode would be a decent enough solution, though I'd rather not as I already have AM configured for something else.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up