INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center 13 - File conversion not working from m4a to flac or mp3  (Read 1921 times)

tangolovers

• World Citizen

I have some m4a files that I want to convert and I've tried both flac and mp3, but I get an error message "Please ensure that your files exist, and are of supported audio format."  Can you help?

On another note... I want to re-rip a CD, for which CD look up fails, however I have already previously typed in the tag information (name, artist album etc).  Is there any way to re-rip without having to re-type all the tag information?? That would be a life saver.

Thank you!
SusieM - I'm Using MC on MacOS & Windows 10.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: Media Center 13 - File conversion not working from m4a to flac or mp3
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 10:31:40 am »

You must tell MC to play m4a files in DirectShow engine in order to be able to convert them.

Tools > Options > File Types > Audio > m4a, choose "JRiver audio engine (using DirectShow filters)" from Playback Method drop down list and then choose appropriate DirectShow filters.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 10:48:24 am »

DC-Bass Source is a good Direct Show filter. It allows to convert all kinds of m4a files.

A couple of links that might help:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=50987.msg348048#msg348048
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=51296.msg350247#msg350247
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Peter_T

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 11:07:43 am »

On another note... I want to re-rip a CD, for which CD look up fails, however I have already previously typed in the tag information (name, artist album etc).  Is there any way to re-rip without having to re-type all the tag information?? That would be a life saver.

There isn't a direct way (I wish there was!) but here's how I do it... it's a bit convoluted, but actually pretty simple:

1. in MC, re-name the old, properly tagged files to 01.mp3, 02.mp3 etc by using right click-Library Tools-Rename, Move & Copy
2. Set your ripping settings to [track #].mp3 under Tools-Options, then File Location-Ripping, Recording, & Other Audio (I don't know why it's not under "Encoding" but whatever)
4. When ripping is complete, find the new, untagged files in MC and right-click and choose Library Tools-Locate-On Disk (External) - this will open an explorer window showing you your newly-ripped files
5. Back in MC find the old, properly tagged files and choose Library Tools-Locate-On Disk (External)
6. in Windows Explorer, copy the new files overtop of the old ones
7. Back in MC find the properly-named ones and right click, choosing "Library tools-Update Tags (from library)"
8. Try playing the files... if all is well MC shouldn't know the difference between the old version and the new one.
8. Now clean up your ripped files: find them in MC and press 'delete', choosing to move them to the recycle bin.

Clear as mud?

kamiller42

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 01:04:50 pm »

I have had the same problem. I reported on this board. MC12 works fine. MC13 doesn't. I tried changing various things, but gave up. I have to keep MC12 around just for conversion purposes. The only reason I am converting from m4a to FLAC is because MP4 support in MC has always been a bear.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 01:19:41 pm »

I have had the same problem. I reported on this board. MC12 works fine. MC13 doesn't. I tried changing various things, but gave up. I have to keep MC12 around just for conversion purposes. The only reason I am converting from m4a to FLAC is because MP4 support in MC has always been a bear.

If it works in MC12, it will work in MC13 once you configure it properly.  Remember that some DirectShow playback settings have changed in MC13.  See my post and Alex's links above.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

kamiller42

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 10:35:47 am »

Well, it has been several revisions ago since I last tried converting with MC13, so I decided to give it another try. What do you know? It is working now.  ;D Happy day!
Pages: [1]   Go Up