INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Client/Server or Remote Server or...?  (Read 1678 times)

jmilum

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
Client/Server or Remote Server or...?
« on: April 22, 2009, 03:14:41 pm »

Hello.

I've spent a while on the forum trying to figure out how to do this.  But can't seem to find the exact info.  Perhaps I am just using the wrong terminology>>>

I have MC13 running on a laptop (client).

I have MC13 running on a server connected to a library and connected to speakers.

I would like to use MC13 on the client to control what the server plays on the connected speakers.

I've successfully utilized the media server functionality to play the library on the laptop client.  But this isn't what I want to do.

I've also utilized the Remote Server per http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/Remote_Server.  But the interface I got through the browser was not exactly up to MC13 standards.  Perhaps I am doing something wrong here.

Anyway, it would seem that there ought to be a way to use an MC13 client to play music on an MC13 server THROUGH the server.  Perhaps I am just missing the obvious. 

Please advise

jsm

)p(

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Client/Server or Remote Server or...?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 03:30:10 pm »

No you can not use the normal mc gui to control a different instance of mc on another computer. This feature has been asked a lot and I do hope we will see it implemented especially with all those small mid tablet pc's coming out that would make great controllers.

At the moment the only way to use your laptop with the mc gui to control mc on the server is to connect to it using remote desktop. That actually works pretty good.

peter

jmilum

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 04:14:53 pm »

Wow.  Seems like it would be easy.  And what a bummer.  I've been dreaming about this capability...

Am I missing something with remote desktop?  Yes, it functions, but for me it is just a very simple text interface.  Looks like something from 1992.  Do I not have the browser set up correctly?

There HAS to be a better way? No?

)p(

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 12:11:52 am »

Wow.  Seems like it would be easy.  And what a bummer.  I've been dreaming about this capability...

Am I missing something with remote desktop?  Yes, it functions, but for me it is just a very simple text interface.  Looks like something from 1992.  Do I not have the browser set up correctly?

There HAS to be a better way? No?

I was referring to the windows remote desktop application not the browser ;)

There is prettier browser based gui available see:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=43402.0

But no not yet, remote desktop is the only way to use the real mc gui remotely for now. Hopefully jriver will address this is the future.

peter

jmilum

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 09:56:17 am »

Yes, I was looking at the XPTunes option.  I may try that.

But I guess I have missed something or am being daft:  What is the windows remote desktop application?  Is it a seperate piece of software to download and install?  And if so, where can I find it?

Thanks in advance,

JSM

AoXoMoXoA

• I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009, 10:21:28 am »

The xpTunes software works very well, especially if you have an iPhone or PDA, for use with a laptop it leaves room for improvement, but this is beyond it's intended scope of use.

MC's Remote Server is rather pitiful and seriously needs a replacement in line with the quality of the remainder of the MC program.

Windows Remote Desktop (included in Vista and XP Pro) will likely be the best option available, or one of it's replacements such as RealVNC.

Hopefully JRiver will address this weakness in Media Center soon as it is long overdue. Using the current MC interface to control play on another machine as mentioned above is my idea of an ideal solution too. Do I hear upgrade {ker-ching}?
. . . the game is rigged

MrHaugen

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2009, 09:14:10 pm »

For gods sake, tell the man how to use remote desktop.

Ok. I'll do it then..... First of you have to enable remote dektop on you're server. Right click My Computer, select properties and select Remote Settings. Enable incoming remote connections to connect to this computer. Select the username used to log on to the server (if you're using anything else than the standard administrator username). Log on to you're client. Go to start menu, programs, accessoies, communication and start Remote Desktop. Enter the IP adress of the server or the name of the server. Optionally you can add the username and passord and save to you're desktop or something, for quick access later on. Hit connect and be prepared for a miracle.

If you install Windows 7 and Windows server 2008 R2 when it comes out, you'll even be able to use Theater View this way.  I'm really looking forward to that.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

jmilum

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2009, 09:29:10 pm »

woops, I should have replied that I tried it.  actually, I had already been thinking of using this, then I forgot about it.  I did get it working.  And it does work.  although, not at exactly the speed/resolution I was hoping for.  native client/server would be oh so much sweeter.

I'm wondering how xptunes would run on the client laptop versus remote desktop.  I will probably install it and see, although I am not sure I want to go through the trouble unless someone thinks it is a better solution.

a bit thanks to everyone

jsm
Pages: [1]   Go Up